Checkerboard Arch Trail

moderate 17 reviews

Checkerboard Arch Trail is a 1.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Kanab, Utah that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips.

Distance: 1.1 miles Elevation Gain: 849 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Park on the pullout directly next to the Mesa. Then follow the edge of the Mesa straight in or find the sandy “path” a bit off from it. Then cut through the vegetation. The sand makes the hike near treacherous for the 2nd part - You’ll have to stay in the vegetation because of the size of the boulders against the wall. You will have to be extremely careful with what you’re grabbing because almost all the rocks are loose. Trees or roots may be dead, so traverse this trail with caution.

icy

Nice rough hike. There is a lot of ice and snow next to the mesa going up. I stayed to the left (east) side of the canyon following sheep trail going up. It went well, a couple of steep rock faces to maneuver around. Up top the trail just ends in the middle of the mesa. I did some exploring and found many amazing views. On the way down I followed the All Trails track, it was much more difficult than the route I used going up.

icy

Despite the reviews on here about how much of a scramble this hike was, the adventurer in me still wanted to give it a shot. And I can honestly say that this was by far the most dangerous hike I've ever attempted. I slipped and slided numerous times, and my 5ft self had to climb and jump rocks that were a bit questionable. I actually decided to turn around .6 mile in, apparently I was almost to the top but I could see no path that didn't look even more dangerous that what I'd already hiked. Some snow spots were 2 feet deep and you basically need to hold on to trees and rocks the whole time to protect yourself. I'm lucky I didn't get injured and I would suggest anyone else to even try this unless they are very fit, flexible, preferably tall, and don't mind being in risky situations. Not for the faint of heart.

Only the first section of this hike has a visible path. Once you get to the narrow section of this trail in the canyon the climb get steeper and the travel gets slower. I didn't make it up to the arch because of time constraints. I'll be back to complete this one on my next trip to Zion.

So after getting a tip from a guy in Kanab, I decided to hike this “trail”. As others have stated...there is NO trail. This is to hike the WEST side. It’s either a washout or a sheep path. I painstakingly blazed my way up and several times thought I’d need to turn back. Along the direct side of the Mesa is a 6 foot “trail” of rock from water washout, and off from that is all vegetation and sand. I would break this into thirds, 1st - Park on the pullout Directly next to the Mesa. Then follow the edge of the Mesa straight in or find the sandy “path” a bit off from it. Then cut through the vegetation. The sand makes the hike near treacherous for the 2nd part - You’ll have to stay in the vegetation cause of the size of boulders against the wall. You will have to be extremely careful with what you’re grabbing because almost all the rocks are loose, trees or roots may be dead, and the sand will consume you...so use ALOT of common sense or you WILL injure yourself. 3rd part, is easier. I had to leave my pack...only take a camelback. The pack is too bulky for the scrambling and maneuvering you will need to do up to the top. Long story short, it was a huge challenge for not that fantastic views in my opinion, but being on top of a Mesa was neat. You can tell people have been up there, but not many. Going back down was a lot of butt sliding. I recommend bringing rope to tie off and assist on the way back down at certain points. If you are not an able scrambler, do not do this hike. Do not bring kids as AllTrails says is ok for some reason...it’s dangerous. PS: I tried to place rocks as trail markers here and there.

Half way up, weather looking like rain, opted to leave.

Mon Aug 20 2018

I'm giving this 3 stars and I'll tell you why. First of all, there is no actual trailhead with signage. We drove up and down the road for about 20 minutes using the app directions and no trailhead in sight. We then asked a ranger who informed us that there isn't an actual trailhead, but there are 2 sort of trails, an upper one and a lower one. By the time we thought we found what looked like it might be one of them, we were tired and discouraged. Maybe another time.....

Tue Mar 13 2018

this was my last trail in zion national park, and so far the best adventure i had here. there is no maintenance in this trail which it makes it amazing to get in contact with our inside instincts. worth every-minute of it

Fri May 25 2018