Learn more

Chain Lakes Trail is a 19 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Neola, Utah that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and backpacking and is best used from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 19.0 mi Elevation gain 3,707 ft Route type Out & Back

Waypoints (0)
Facilities
Contact
Getting There

Chain Lakes are in the Krebs Basin and consist of four lakes. Start at the Uinta River Trailhead and follow the Uinta River Trail three miles to Sheep Bridge a climb of 400 feet. At the bridge take the Chain lakes to Atwood Lake Trail. After the junction continue 8 miles to the Lower Chain Lake. The trail climbs 1100 feet in the first 1.25 miles after the junction.

The Uinta trail-head has room for twenty vehicles. campsites, toilets, and a stock ramp is available. There is no water at the trail-head , but you can fill up at any of the campgrounds.

Duchesne/Roosevelt Ranger District Duchesne Office 85 West Main PO Box 981 Duchesne, UT 84021 Phone: 435-738-2482 Fax: 435-781-5215

From Heber City, take US Highway 40 east 99 miles to Roosevelt. Then take SR 121 north for 11 miles to Neola. Head north 17 miles on road 118 to Wandin and Uinta Campgrounds. The trail-head is located 0.5 miles north of Wandin, near the U-Bar Ranch.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (11)
Photos (8)
Recordings (2)
Completed (20)
Jameisha Washington
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 9, 2018
Hiking

Definitely the toughest trail I've done so far out in the Ashley forest/high uintas, but well worth the trek. As previous reviewers have mentioned, this trail has serious elevation gains. People who have little experience at elevation should be aware of the symptoms of altitude sickness. I originally attempted the trail in May, but only made it about halfway up as I started feeling dizzy and sluggish. Having experienced altitude sickness before, I knew I wasn't prepared. I completed the hike on July 7, 2018. It took me just about 9.5 hours from start to finish. I love the middle section, past the switchbacks and before the lakes. Everything was lush and green even in this dry season, plenty of wildflowers too! You can also see how far you've climbed, which is insane. I would have preferred to have been capable to see the lakes in May, as I'm sure the trail was less buggy earlier in the season. The trail is really rocky. However, all in all, it was great!

Layne Willingham
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 13, 2018
Backpacking

Did this hike on 4th of July Weekend 2017. The first 4 miles follows the Uintah River and is beautiful. Tons of trees, few good fishing spots, very nice easy hiking. From Sheep's Bridge you start switchbacks for 4-5 miles. They suck. You feel like you'll never get out. After that you'll cross Krebs Creek. From there I think it's only another 2 miles to the Lower Chain lake. We camped here for 2 days, did lots of fishing and exploring. The hike in took us 7 hours, back took us 4. We'll be going back this year to go all the way to King's. Should be fun

Chad Balls
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 30, 2017
Backpacking

We hiked this trail the first week in August with 7 young men. Beautiful scenery and fun fishing. Spent most of our time at lake 1 and lake 3. However, one of our boys began experiencing nausea and then headache. When we realized he had attitude sickness, we made efforts to get him out, but just a few hours later he passed away on the mountain, just below lake 1. Wished we would have been more knowledgeable of the illness and the threats. I'd encourage all groups to educate themselves on the symptoms of altitude sickness and discuss it in advance with their group. Also take a pulse oximeter. And finally have some sort of satellite communication device. Your preparation may save your life or that of a member of your group or another you encounter in this beautiful terrain. http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/tc/altitude-sickness-topic-overview

Norm Bagley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 21, 2017

I had the opportunity to hike through painters basin from whiterocks, and then up the pass to Lake Atwood, and then up a steep rocky pass to the chain lakes, and then back down the Uinta river drainage. Coming out that way due to the steep switchbacks, I swore that I'd NEVER hike up to the chain lakes or lake Atwood from the Uinta river trailhead because it is one of the toughest and steepest switchback trails in the uintas. 10 years later, I'm now contemplating going up this route ;) because it was so amazing, very few people, and awesome fishing. normbagley@gmail.com

Doug Ogden
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 6, 2016
Backpacking

Troup 250 hiked this trail the 3rd week of July, 2015. We started at the west fork of Whiterocks and 50 miles later came out at Uintah Canyon. It was hard but the scenery was spectacular!

James Anderson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 27, 2015

Hard work but worth it. An outfitter told me it is 11 miles one way. Seemed like 20.

Breck Tuttle
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 25, 2013
Hiking

Hiked to Chain Lakes from Lake Atwood and Roberts pass and out to the trailhead. The lakes were beautiful from above. I want to camp and explore all of the Chain Lakes someday.

Matt Sproul
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 13, 2013
First to Review

I would rate this trail as difficult rather than moderate. It has a lot of uphill for a long time. The Chain Lakes are beautiful and the fishing was great. The lakes where well worth the steep climb.

Jason Coggins
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 28, 2020
View Jason's Recording
Shawn Price
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 10, 2020
View Shawn's Recording
Shannon Bradley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 13, 2015