Chain Lakes Trail

Chain Lakes Trail is a 19.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Roosevelt, Utah that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is best used from July until September.

Chain Lakes are in the Krebs Basin and consist of four lakes. Start at the Uinta River Trailhead and follow the Uinta River Trail three miles to Sheep Bridge a climb of 400 feet. At the bridge take the Chain lakes to Atwood Lake Trail. After the junction continue 8 miles to the Lower Chain Lake. The trail climbs 1100 feet in the first 1.25 miles after the junction.

We hiked this trail the first week in August with 7 young men. Beautiful scenery and fun fishing. Spent most of our time at lake 1 and lake 3. However, one of our boys began experiencing nausea and then headache. When we realized he had attitude sickness, we made efforts to get him out, but just a few hours later he passed away on the mountain, just below lake 1. Wished we would have been more knowledgeable of the illness and the threats. I'd encourage all groups to educate themselves on the symptoms of altitude sickness and discuss it in advance with their group. Also take a pulse oximeter. And finally have some sort of satellite communication device. Your preparation may save your life or that of a member of your group or another you encounter in this beautiful terrain.

I had the opportunity to hike through painters basin from whiterocks, and then up the pass to Lake Atwood, and then up a steep rocky pass to the chain lakes, and then back down the Uinta river drainage. Coming out that way due to the steep switchbacks, I swore that I'd NEVER hike up to the chain lakes or lake Atwood from the Uinta river trailhead because it is one of the toughest and steepest switchback trails in the uintas.
10 years later, I'm now contemplating going up this route ;) because it was so amazing, very few people, and awesome fishing.

normbagley@gmail.com

Wednesday, July 06, 2016

Troup 250 hiked this trail the 3rd week of July, 2015. We started at the west fork of Whiterocks and 50 miles later came out at Uintah Canyon. It was hard but the scenery was spectacular!

Friday, November 27, 2015

Hard work but worth it. An outfitter told me it is 11 miles one way. Seemed like 20.

Sunday, September 13, 2015

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Hiked to Chain Lakes from Lake Atwood and Roberts pass and out to the trailhead. The lakes were beautiful from above. I want to camp and explore all of the Chain Lakes someday.

Saturday, July 13, 2013

I would rate this trail as difficult rather than moderate. It has a lot of uphill for a long time. The Chain Lakes are beautiful and the fishing was great. The lakes where well worth the steep climb.