Centerville Canyon Trail

Centerville Canyon Trail is a 2.5 mile out and back trail located near Centerville, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, horses, and mountain biking and is best used from March until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Davis County in Northern Utah contains some of the greatest hiking trails found anywhere in the country. Nestled between View Mont peak and Centerville peak is a Beautiful canyon. Suitable for a day hike or a weekend camp. The Trail is excellent and you will find several nice camp or picnic spots where you can enjoy the soothing sounds of Centerville creek as it meanders its way down the canyon. To begin your hike you will climb up a fairly steep trail for the first .25 mile, then you will drop into the canyon where you will enjoy a shady hike among the scrub oak and some evergreens. There are some creaky bridges for you to cross the creek as you work your way up the canyon.

Great hike! The trail is fully covered with snow once you get back into the canyon, crampons would be ideal, I was fine in my normal hiking boots, with some sliding in places. Waterfall is mostly frozen over, but still beautiful!

Nice hike

Centervile Trails Volunteer.
Great hike, Near town, moderate to difficult at times, NOT horse friendly or Mountain Bike friendly. Dogs on leashes allowed please pick up after your dog, Many families enjoy this hike, some scrambling at times over rocks with some steep side hills. I see kids of all ages just go slow. Single narrow trail, most of the time, Views are best at the mouth of the canyon to over look the city.. You are north of the Gun Range, And If you are on the freeway and you see the big V on the mountain This canyon is the first one north of the V. It is the Deuel creek south hike. (No pictographs on this hike it is another hike). At the little Kiosk it shows the trail ending long before the rope swing or the first waterfall past the rope swing. You will see some beautiful places most people think the waterfall is a rock or steep spot where the water shoots down a steep rocky spot. It is beautiful and worth a look. However it is not the waterfall. The water cascades down the side of the rock and it disappears in the thick brush. Not technically free falling, but it is nice all the same. Summer is my favorite late May to Sep, It is steep in places and requires some scrambling over rocks and steep drop offs. Those steep places with narrow trail start about 20 feet past the trail head. Dont let the kids get out of sight at the start of the trail. If you have little kids just go slow and you will find places near the creek to let them play. You will see poison ivy so know what to look for and how to identify it over 4 season. Google it. Both trails will meet up at the creek so if you parked at the North Trail head make sure that when you head down to take the North trail. Same as the South stay on the trail that is near the creek. You dont want to add a mile up and down at the end of a long hike. You will only make this mistake once :) I HIGHLY recommend a high clearance vehicle on both trail heads once you leave the pavement, mufflers are expensive. Some times the grader has gone over the trail and it is ok other times I have seen people that where not so lucky. When the road Ts in the bottom of the canyon take the road to the right and then at the second T turn back towards the canyon heading back north about a 1/2 mile from the first T. This trail is forest serve land and all the same rules apply. The only true water fall is past the rope swing. Kids do not make it this far. This is where the nice trail begins. The trail and will start to look like a high alpine hike with tall pines and less Gamble oak. If you continue about another 30-40 minutes past the rope swing you will be rewarded with a view of the waterfall that you will see in the distance it is the one in the pic that says Centerville Canyon. If you continue to hike up the trail it will go right by the waterfall where you can walk out and look down over the falls. It is just a little stream at this time of the year not much water at all. You will not see may people that will venture past the falls. It is quiet and if you are aware of your surroundings you will see all kinds of tracks and sign. If you continue up the trail it will eventually cross over two other streams and the canyon will end when the trail disappears in a Forrest. This trail has several other wooden bridges that are not forest service approved and are not sponsored by the city. It appears to be maintained by locals who do so at their own expense. We are always looking for volunteers who want to help contribute to the health and safety of the trail. And we recommend you do that thru the city who will coordinate the work thru the forest service and the sponsored third party groups. This is Forest Service land and when venturing out please be aware that hunting season is open at this time of the year I would recommend bright colored clothes. And to stay on the trail. You can also camp just off the trail and you will find a variety of camps spots.

Enjoy and let us know what you think and what you liked about our hike.

Take a hike.

HELP #### We have a lost hiker near this trail if you can get out tomorrow please do! Davis County Sheriff will be conducting a searchS tomorrow for a missing HUNTER r who was last seen just one canyon north at noon yesterday. He is a 19 year old male and was last seen about Noon near Parish flat Just one canyon north of Deuel creek
~CTC volunteer
rturner

I started this trail a little weary of it raining. I started on the north side of the creek and went back on the south side. I was a bit surprised of some ledges I didn't expect, but not a problem for me. Once you hit the 2 mile mark it's really not far to the waterfall. I stopped at the 2 mile point and almost turned back because I heard lightning but went on anyways and it was awesome.

Stick to the south trail. Follows a stream the entire way. There are some trout if you fish the deeper pools. At 1.2 miles there is a fun swing attached to a tree about 20 feet high. Lots of fun for kids. The next 1.5 miles is gorgeous with a waterfall around the 3 mile mark. One of my favorite trails around

Awesome trail. It’s gorgeous, plenty of water and waterfalls, there are fire pits all along the trail and a nice big waterfall near the end. If you go far enough as well there is a fun swing. Definitely a fun weekend hike.

Good moderate hike, beautiful waterfall and fun swing! I didn’t see the waterfall on the way up the canyon, but found it by accident on the way down. To find it, as you head up the canyon, you’ll notice a steep drop in the trail after you’ve been steadily climbing for some time. The trail naturally veers to the left. If you go right and head down about 20 yards, you’ll find it. Then turn back around and finish the trail where there’s a swing, a bench and a fire pit.

So... There is nowhere to park by the reservoir and the road these directions lead to is washed out really bad as you round the water to the parking lot (the lot for the south trailhead). It’s also extremely narrow so we had to back out the rough road because there was a 1-2 foot drop off that was impossible to get around!
Decided to brave the north trailhead since we were then stuck on that side and it was NO joke! This should be rated “HARD”. Luckily it was morning - any other time of the day we would have melted. It’s straight up the mountain and there is NO coverage for quite a climb. There are also washed out bits on both trails (north and south) that are pretty scary, so just be aware.
I was following the map provided for this hike (because I didn’t want to do the 4.5 miles) but it stops 2 miles short of the waterfall. Very misleading!!! Ends up being much longer than the 4.5 if you make it to the falls. If you’re looking for this particular hike because of the waterfall but want a MUCH easier route - just do the regular one (south trailhead) because this particular write up for the hike is extremely misleading!
Wouldn’t recommend taking any sort of kids on this trail either, and would only recommend it for people that are hard core hikers!!!
Coming down we took the south trailhead because we missed the north - and then had to hike all the way back up to our car! Long day for me the dog and the baby. Ugh!
*Also, there is one part towards the top where you cross the stream on rocks (not a bridge like the rest of them). You can tell people have gotten lost cause there is a makeshift trail but I knew 2 minutes in we were off with all the ruggedness and grow out!

DANGEROUS!

Starting off on the north trail (up by the water reservoir) sets you up for one of the most difficult hikes you’ll find. There are no switchbacks, just straight up the side of the hill. I was breathless for the first mile. Now, it isn’t impossible but you need to be prepared. Also, the trail is NARROW and on the settlers hillside I’ve seen. Frankly, I was scared but had gotten to a point of no return so we powered through. Lots of wash it on this hills side has left the path unstable so go slowly and take trekking poles.

All of this said, the south part of the trail is beautiful and takes you by lots of water and some mild rock scaling as you climb over a couple spots. South trail is absolutely kid friendly!

There are two different trails to take to get to the waterfall. I took the North trail and it was pretty strenuous. Tt took me twice the amount of time to get there than it took me to get back (I took the south back). The waterfall didn't feel worth it to me after the hike. Almost no view from the South side, and little to no shade on the North side.

Saturday, October 21, 2017

I really enjoyed this one!

Sunday, September 03, 2017

nice trail, love it.

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Beautiful trail. Well kept. Follows water the whole way. Mostly shady

Saturday, June 10, 2017

The south trail is amazing! The trail gets a bit steeper after the swing but the waterfall is worth it. Hiked with my 11 year old

Monday, May 29, 2017

Great hike that has shade the whole way! 2.2 miles each way. The waterfall isn't as spectacular, but the hike is perfect for all ages

Sunday, May 28, 2017

A bit more difficult than we were expecting but we made the loop with two kids in tow and loved the breath taking views.

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

You spend the whole time following the stream. There are some cool waterfalls along the way. It might be difficult for small kids and old dogs, but it is a very beautiful hike. I recommend the South trail head over the North trail head. It is shadier and you almost immedeately reach the water. The bridges look dangerous, but are very very sturdy. Bring shoes you don't mind getting a little dirty or wet. In the spring there can be standing puddles on the trail. But nothing you can't inch around.

Monday, April 24, 2017

nice trail, steep in places. went up north and down south.

Thursday, April 06, 2017

This wound around a river, had a cool swing and a couple fire pits along the way. Awesome trail and beautiful scenery!

Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Love this trail

Thursday, September 29, 2016

The waterfall was beautiful and the dogs loved it!

Friday, September 09, 2016

One of my favorite trail up north, it's not busy at all.

Monday, September 05, 2016

This was a beautiful, shaded hike that runs by the creek the entire way. 5.2 miles if you go up to the waterfall and back... which is worth it. the rope swing over dirt (which the kids love) is maybe half way to the waterfall. the trail marker actually says Deul Creek South. a guy in the parking lot said this trail is much better then the North trail.. easier and shaded. it's still a hefty hike! there were lots of kids on the trail, in fact that was the worst part- it's pretty busy, especially up to the rope swing! the trail is narrow so letting people constantly pass, was annoying. it's busy cause it's beautiful!

Saturday, August 27, 2016

This is a beautiful trail! We stayed on the south side in the shade. The swing is about the half way mark. It's well marked so we didn't get lost. I'd do this again and take grandkids to the swing.

Thursday, August 18, 2016

Super fun hike. Way fun to run down the trail on the way back. You slowly gain elevation so the hike is not bad at all

Friday, July 08, 2016

There are some hidden gems there. Been there countless times. We got married in this Canyon.

Friday, July 08, 2016

ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS HIKE

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

This trail is great for scenery, shade and a little fun on the swing. My daughters and I ran to the top and back, and took a break at the swing.

Monday, June 06, 2016

I love this hike

Friday, May 13, 2016

Love this trail. I went with Scouts and it was great.