Cecret Lake Trail

Cecret Lake Trail is a 1.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Alta, Utah that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September.

[IMPORTANT PARKING NOTE: Due to extremely limited parking access at Cecret Lake/Catherine's Pass Trailheads and to reduce congestion on the Albion Basin Summer Road and in the upper Albion Basin parking areas, it is highly recommended that hikers park in the Albion Base Area parking lot and hike the Upper Albion Meadows Trail or ride the free shuttle provided by the Town of Alta on weekends and holidays] A wonderful family hike to beautiful alpine lake in the Little Cottonwood Canyons Albion Basin. This is a very short hike to a beautiful alpine lake in the Albion Basin region near Alta and Snowbird Ski Resorts. This area is very popular on summer weekends so parking may be difficult. Take the time to relax at the lake and take lots of photos of your family with the mountains as a backdrop.

The roads closed during the winter /:

Pretty lake, but it’s a super short hike

Cecret Lake is a beautiful place. One of my favorite hikes. In August this beautiful hike is home to thousands of wild flowers!

Beautiful lake and lovely hike. Summer wildflowers are stunning!

Really lovely. Very few people There when we went (2 days ago).

Great hike. Kids loved it! Rocky and a little steep towards the end with a lot of cut backs but otherwise fairly easy hike. I did it with my 25 pound 2 year old on my back and I'm not in great shape. My 4 year old made it up by himself as well with little to no help. We went Oct. 9th 2017 later in the afternoon around 3:30. We got up right before the sun went over the mountain and it got cold real fast.

Beautiful. Worth the short hike!

Short hike a little difficult at the end because it is steep and you are climbing rocks. Also it was snowing and freezing cold today 08-October-2017

Very short, but gorgeous lake!

Easy walk with beautiful views. Can see glacier smoothing of rocks.Was muddy in many spots because of recent snow.

Saw beautiful moose

Easy kid friendly hike. Beautiful wild flowers at the end of summer. Lots of people so if possible go during the day on weekdays

I am not sure why this is marked as 'easy.' For those who grow up hiking, maybe it's easy for them. For newcomers to hiking, the beginning of the trail is relatively flat, but as the lake is at the top of the mountain, you will gain altitude and have to climb/walk through some rocky trails on the side of the cliff. If you aren't used to the altitude this can also pose an alternative challenge.

Oh not 6

Easy

I think this was given an "Easy" rating because it is short (if you start at the Cecret Lake trailhead). It has quick elevation change, especially near the end but it's like using stairs. Nice views and a pretty lake. Be ready to stop and wait in certain spots if you go in summer due to this lake's popularity. We went when there was construction, so we started at Albion Base, which added almost 3 miles round trip. Much of the trail from Albion Base was steep, which might warrant a "Moderate" rating. In fact, this hike from Albion Base was pretty similar to Horsetail Falls in length and elevation change (just a bit easier), and Horsetail Falls was given a "Hard" rating.

We did not wait for the shuttle to take us to the trail head so it was a longer hike - 5 miles in all. I would rate this more if a moderate hike for sure given the elevation gain. Nice hike to do once but I have definitely seen better? Not bad. Glad we did it once.

Pretty hike! Easy too

The last bit is rocky, but the lake is lovely. Park at the entrance and hike up Albion meadows trail, lots of pretty wildflowers!

this hike is the perfect length for a quick day hike. we got incredibly lucky and saw a big bull moose at the lake, really an amazing sight!