Cecret Lake from Albion Basin

Cecret Lake from Albion Basin is a 4.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Alta, Utah that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from May until September.

Users have reported that during winter and spring the gravel road leading to the trailhead might be closed.

The Cecret Lake trail is closed as of 09/24/2018. Construction crews are repairing a dam just below the lake that was built in the 1920s.

I couldn’t go up to the lake, nevertheless it is an amazing area. It might be due to the trail closure or because it was a weekday, the trail heading up from behind the Albion Grill was almost deserted. It felt as if I had the mountain to myself.

I would love to come back later and complete the hike.

My family hiked from the Albion Basin trailhead because it was too crowded to park at the campground trailhead. They were only letting in one car for every car that left with no estimate on wait time. That was OK with us, we enjoyed the longer hike, but the kids got a little tired.

This trail was pretty crowded, and while I'm glad lots of people were enjoying the hike, I was unhappy with the lack of "trail etiquette." People on the way down refused to yield the right of way to those climbing. I was even cussed out by some people behind me because I kept yielding to people coming up as we descended. People were also "wading" in Cecret Lake which is strictly prohibited.

We saw a couple of young moose and their mother on the trail through the meadow area under the ski lifts. That experience made the entire trip well worthwhile. The kids were thrilled!

Beautiful wild flowers, though here are definitely less as this point in the season. The lake is fun too. If the ski lift is running, you can take it down the mountain for free! Busy hike

There are several ways to get here, but the outdoors hiking group I went with started from the bottom and hiked our way up: 5 miles round trip. We started our trail behind Albion Grill and slowly worked our way up. Along the trail, you'll see wildflowers, deer, a hidden restaurant, tons of hikers, stunning green foliage, and be greeted at the end with a lake. I didn't see any moose on the trail, but others have seen them in the past.

If you're not up for hiking 5 miles, you can pay $6.00 to park closer going 1.5 or 3 miles round trip instead.

Pictures doesn't do any justice for Cecret Lake. You actually have to be there and experience the views yourself. Hopefully my pictures show how peaceful this place can be with tons of hikers around! Just gotta find that sweet spot that no one will be around to photobomb your lake!

I’ve done this hike twice this summer. Once on an early Sunday and once more the following Wednesday after court for my speeding ticket in the town of Alta. Make sure you slow down as the speed limit changes from 40 to 25.

I parked at the Alta ski resort and hiked from there. You can drive up further to an upper parking lot, which shortens the hike substantially.

This was a great trail run with amazing views and plenty of room to pass others hiking. My total elevation gained was 1,119ft and took me 1:07 a total distance of 4.8 miles.

This was a really fun hike. The scenery is excellent with a good mix of open meadows with wildflowers to more dense tree cover. The lake was a great reward at the end and a fun place to relax for a bit. Not the most strenuous hike, but I’m glad we did it.

Beautiful scenery everywhere and tons of side trails that all take you to the lake so you have plenty of options and variety. Most of the hike is easy but it’s a bit steep at the end. Nice little lake even though a bit crowded.

Took us 1' 45" from the base of Sunnyside and Albion chairlifts to the lake and back.

beautiful and pretty easy trail. we saw teo moose and one deer. lots of beautiful wildflowers. the water was low at the lake but still pretty

I felt like I was walking through a post card. The flowers were beautiful, the trail was easy to follow, the lake was nice (although the journey was the better part). If you are on the fence, do it. Now! It was perfect.

Beautiful easy trail.

it was a very pleasant hike ,98 degrees but the beauty of wild flowers make it all worth it!

We did this hike just a couple of days before the road to the trailhead was open. I guess it opens at the end of June. The extra walk isn't bad because of the beautiful flowers along the way but it is a little tricky to find the trailhead. So beautiful! Crazy salamanders! Steep but not too long.

Took us about 2 hours to hike there and back. The wildflowers are beautiful right now. Lots of mosquitoes around the lake. I'd recommend bringing bug spray!

This hike starts at Alta, by Albion Base. It starts by the Albion grill. Walking up a little ways and then the meadow is breathtaking this time of year. So many wildflowers. Continuing on, you hit a gravel road that leads to the Cecret lake parking area. This hike is decent, took us about three hours total with a stop at the lake for lunch.

Started from parking lot by Campground and headed to the north west. I was enjoying the beautiful trail and pond, but then I got to a sign that says trail closed for construction. Sad day. So you current have to walk down Albion basin road to the road to a road that turns west and the take a right and hike on that trail. If you want to see the status of the trail check out my blog for a 360 degree virtual like hike. https://shaunasadventures.blogspot.com/2018/07/360-adventure-albion-basion-cecret-lake.html?m=1

was going to the cecret lake trail due to reviews, but got to the booth next to Alta ski resort and after they told me that the paved portion of the road ends and you need to pay i decided to go the free route and go to the ski resort which was free. Glad I did...I started up the trail from the ski resort not knowing what to expect or where I was going really. After hiking up the first trail with wild flowers all around I realized that just up the road a bit was the start of the cecret lake trail so I combined the two....the weather was great.....alot cooler than in the valley and the lake was pretty cool too. For me it was a pretty tough hike.... easily the most elevation that I have gained on a hike(I just moved to Sandy a few days ago) and close to the longest, but well worth it. By not driving up to the cecret lake trail head parking area I saved some dough....got more exercise, saw wild flowers that I wouldn't have seen and I still got to see cecret lake. I am more proud of this than I would have been as I don't think too many people hiked up to the lake from the resort. Bring some water and some food and take your time if needed. On a side note.... there are some geocaches around this hike if you are into that. oh....and when you get back from your hike you can grab a bite to eat in the resort, relax and enjoy the air conditioning and look at the pics you took.

Took five little kids up one mile to the meadow. It was a bit chilly, but the flowers are gorgeous!

The wildflowers are incredible, and the lake is so beautiful!

Views beyond compare! We did this hike on June 17. Some minor patches of snow on the trail toward the top. The wind was more chilly than we had prepared for so bring a windbreaker at the very least! Luckily, my kids had hoodies tied around their waist. We saw moose here last year in August, but none during this trip up. This was my second time up this trail and it is a new family favorite.

Last week-end the gravel service roads were closed to cars so we had to park way down from the trailhead and had to walk up the service roads for 50 minutes just to get to the trail. Then we hiked about 45 min to the top to see the lake. There was still snow on the trail in some spots and it was quite muddy, but warm weather when sunny. You had to cross two or three creeks with slippery rocks but often you could find a long way around- just avoid the mud. The lake still had patches of ice and was beautiful. I don’t need to do this trail again for a few years. Took 4 adults 3 1/2 hours

Beautiful hike! There was still some patches of snow and it was quite cold at the top. In a few weeks when all the wildflowers bloom it will be absolutely breathtaking.

Hiked as part of a loop from Alta to Germania Pass

Nice trail, but dogs are not allowed in the canyon nor on this trail. I took my dog with me but after seeing all the signs, I left her in the truck. I was stopped by a Ranger who was kind enough to let me know that you can’t even have a dog in your vehicle. Apparently the ticket is $550. So, be forewarned.

Snow is really deep right now (almost knee deep in some areas) and we couldn't make it to the top because it was too steep and dangerous with the snow, ice, and rocks. Would recommend waiting until summer for this one!

The walk from the Albion parking lot to the actual trailhead was pretty uneventful. You follow a road that winds through a ski resort. It adds a lot of time to the actual trail (so plan accordingly), but once you hit the cecret trailhead the hike is short, elevated, and fun. Great spot. Being from out of town, I would've loved to see the alpine lake in the spring or summer!

Great hike to do with the kids.

Some snow on the trail today, a little bit of ice but not much. Beautiful drive from SLC and the snow made surrounding peaks very beautiful.

Beautiful!