Cassidy Arch Trail

Cassidy Arch Trail is a 3.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Torrey, Utah that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November.

rock climbing

Cassidy Arch Canyon is a technical canyoneering route involving 7 rappels up to 140 ft tall through 3 arches. This awesome canyoneering route starts at the popular Cassidy Arch in Capitol Reef National Park. The canyon starts off with a bang as you drop 140 feet through Cassidy Arch followed by another 140-foot rappel. Five more rappels take you through 2 more arches/natural bridges and through sections of scenic canyon rarely visited by others. The canyon takes about half a day and is great fun for canyoneers.

Great hike! Recommend going early, I started up at 6:30am and had the trail to myself. It’s definitely “moderate” with a steep incline the first half mile. Not the best marked trail so keep an eye out for markers. The view of the arch at sunrise is amazing.

Hiked July 10th. We went early to get ahead of the heat (lesson learned in Zion). This was our "recovery hike" as it wasn't too strenuous nor too long. We only hiked to the top of the arch and skipped any rappels. Like many reviews, I think the "easy" rating might be a bit misleading. Great views from the top and worth the couple hours invested.

Must do!!

If you don't do the rappels this is an easy, well marked trail that is great for all the family. And a view of the arch from above is unique. My nephews did the rappel route and they loved it.

cool hidden arch. Idk if this trail was easy though...

Love this hike. Definitely budget time to do this!

awesome, fairly quick hike with beautiful, fun terrain along the way and an awesome payout at the end. More moderate/strenuous than easy. Hardly anyone on the trail. Have to do a bit of easter egg hunting for the trail markers, but that’s always fun :) Highly recommend.

Awesome trail.

This trail should be rated as moderate not easy..The trail is not easily marked, so make sure to watch out for the piled rocks marking the pathway. Definitely worth seeing as the arch is breathtaking!

It was a fun primitive style trail with plenty of stacked rocks as markers. We got some great pictures and got to watch some people repel down by the arch.

great hike and amazing views

With 600+ feet of rocky elevation in less than 1 mile, I don’t think this hike would be ranked as “easy.” The park itself classified the hike as “strenuous,” but it is probably more of a heavy moderate. We did it with 2 13 year olds who motores up with no problem. Saw many younger kids as well. Also - in the scheme of heavily travelled trails that I have seen this spring break week in 3 national parks - this wasn’t as busy as most. The views were nice and this hike allows you to see an arch from on top of it. Pretty cool

This trail should be listed as moderate difficulty, but has amazing views and a grand finish at the arch. There are beautiful junipers and rock formations so take your time and look around. This app says there is no shade which is not true in the late afternoon. Wear boots with ankle support and carry plenty of water, enjoy lunch or a snack at the arch before heading down.

An unforgettable hike.

Great little hike to a cool bridge arch. Got some great photos standing on the arch with the sunset in the background. From the trailhead, the first stretch is a steep incline with a rocky trail. The rest of the hike levels out and is pretty easy. Came here in the off season and we were the only ones on the trail which was pretty awesome. Took about 2 hours round trip with plenty of stops for photos.

Great wiews, good hike combined with Grand Wash.
Start / End at 24 where we parked the car.

Hiked in the afternoon, reached the trailhead about 4:00 PM and we were back to the car by 6:00.

We didn't have any trouble staying on the the trail, but did find a couple of alternate paths that might have been less strenuous. Beautiful views, all the way around, made it hard to pay attention to where you were putting your feet.

Taking plenty of water goes without saying. I didn't take my trekking pole and really wish that I had. It would have been very helpful on the descent.

Sunday, August 06, 2017

Fun hike, nice view

Tuesday, August 01, 2017

Loved this hike. Did it in March, just before the heat got too intense. The rocks are so fun to walk on but were hard on my knees that are used to stepping on soft wet muddy ground here in the PNW.

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Super fun hike! My imagination kept thinking about what it must've been like for Butch Cassidy to scramble up and around on the rocks and cliffs to reach his "secret hideout." Went at about 10:00am, and reached the arch by 11:15. Once at the top, I lingered quite a while to take photos and explore a bit, but stayed too long, as I was intending to beat the afternoon sun -- that didn't happen lol. Despite all the water I took, I drank ALL of it, and still managed to get a mild case of heat stroke. There's not much shade once noon hits, so I recommend going early morning, so you can have plenty of time to explore around at the arch, and get back down at a reasonable time before the desert heat gets too intense. So much fun though!! I absolutely loved it and plan to do it again someday soon. FYI: the trail has several spots towards the end that are bit confusing, but there are cairns scattered about to help guide you in the right direction. Watch closely for them, as some are a bit hard to find.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

A challenging hike but well worth it with great views. Pay close attention to "markers" of stones or dried wood that others have created to keep you on track. Take plenty of water-especially during hot weather!! This can't be stressed enough, I thought I had enough water and mistakenly I didn't. Be sure to follow the signs out to the top of the arch! This is the most Fantastic part!! I mistakenly took the trail further down to a lookout point then turned around to return.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Tough hike, but I'm not in the best of shape.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Learn from my 2 mistakes. First of all, very good Day hike. Error 1, this trail starts out thru a wash, actually the trail moves in and out of the wash. If you're not paying very close attention you'll miss the Trail sign on the left that has an arrow pointing back up to the left. We walked about 3/4 mile down the wash before we realized we'd made a mistake. The spur is .3 from the parking lot.

Error 2, somehow we got off the trail during the first 1/4? mile of Switchbacks. The actual route went higher but we somehow went straight. It seemed like this was the trail, but it was pretty exposed, I was shocked b/c we'd passed kids (~10 years old) w/ their dad, on the trail earlier. We kept going to the point where i couldn't believe the ranger didn't warn us about the exposure. Eventually we came to a point where i would not go. About then we heard hikers walking above. After a scramble up about 20 feet we realized we were off the trail. on they way back down, after going to the Arch, we never could figure out where we went wrong.

Sunday, June 04, 2017

I hiked it in the middle of the day! it was hot, take plenty of water! Beautiful​ views, great hike.

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Hiked this as an add on to the grand wash trail from hwy 24. Phenomenal hike, great arch from distance and from close up and outstanding views all along the trail. Hiked it at about 10am so light was good and weather cool (about 65 F).

Sunday, May 07, 2017

Love this hike! Saw people rappelling down as we were taking in the beauty of the arch.

Monday, April 24, 2017

Would have been better if it wasn't for the loud group of UVU college students dominating the main viewing point of the arch. Not sure what group they were with, but their outdoor ethics were terrible. Beautiful hike and views.

Saturday, March 11, 2017

We had a great time walking crossed the beautiful ridge line up to the arch. Great trail!

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Pretty rough incline! you gain about 1000ft. in 1.5 miles, but it is sooo worth it. the views the entire way are amazing, and the arch itself is stunning.

In mid November this trail was clear of snow and it was gorgeous out, though I think it may have snowed in the day since I was there. the drive through Grand Wash to get to the trail head is rough, so be sure your car tires can take a bit of rough roads.

As always, bring plenty of water and snacks. this trail isn't technically difficult, but this is still the desert, and that incline is killer.

Saturday, October 15, 2016

Must do! Our fav hike in Capitol Reef, tho we only did the shorter ones due to time... lots of incline, views, slick rock.. Really fun!