Cassidy Arch Trail

Cassidy Arch Trail is a 3.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Torrey, Utah that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

rock climbing

Cassidy Arch Canyon is a technical canyoneering route involving 7 rappels up to 140 ft tall through 3 arches. This awesome canyoneering route starts at the popular Cassidy Arch in Capitol Reef National Park. The canyon starts off with a bang as you drop 140 feet through Cassidy Arch followed by another 140-foot rappel. Five more rappels take you through 2 more arches/natural bridges and through sections of scenic canyon rarely visited by others. The canyon takes about half a day and is great fun for canyoneers.

It was a fun primitive style trail with plenty of stacked rocks as markers. We got some great pictures and got to watch some people repel down by the arch.

great hike and amazing views

With 600+ feet of rocky elevation in less than 1 mile, I don’t think this hike would be ranked as “easy.” The park itself classified the hike as “strenuous,” but it is probably more of a heavy moderate. We did it with 2 13 year olds who motores up with no problem. Saw many younger kids as well. Also - in the scheme of heavily travelled trails that I have seen this spring break week in 3 national parks - this wasn’t as busy as most. The views were nice and this hike allows you to see an arch from on top of it. Pretty cool

This trail should be listed as moderate difficulty, but has amazing views and a grand finish at the arch. There are beautiful junipers and rock formations so take your time and look around. This app says there is no shade which is not true in the late afternoon. Wear boots with ankle support and carry plenty of water, enjoy lunch or a snack at the arch before heading down.

An unforgettable hike.

Great little hike to a cool bridge arch. Got some great photos standing on the arch with the sunset in the background. From the trailhead, the first stretch is a steep incline with a rocky trail. The rest of the hike levels out and is pretty easy. Came here in the off season and we were the only ones on the trail which was pretty awesome. Took about 2 hours round trip with plenty of stops for photos.

Great wiews, good hike combined with Grand Wash.
Start / End at 24 where we parked the car.

Hiked in the afternoon, reached the trailhead about 4:00 PM and we were back to the car by 6:00.

We didn't have any trouble staying on the the trail, but did find a couple of alternate paths that might have been less strenuous. Beautiful views, all the way around, made it hard to pay attention to where you were putting your feet.

Taking plenty of water goes without saying. I didn't take my trekking pole and really wish that I had. It would have been very helpful on the descent.

Fun hike, nice view

Loved this hike. Did it in March, just before the heat got too intense. The rocks are so fun to walk on but were hard on my knees that are used to stepping on soft wet muddy ground here in the PNW.

Super fun hike! My imagination kept thinking about what it must've been like for Butch Cassidy to scramble up and around on the rocks and cliffs to reach his "secret hideout." Went at about 10:00am, and reached the arch by 11:15. Once at the top, I lingered quite a while to take photos and explore a bit, but stayed too long, as I was intending to beat the afternoon sun -- that didn't happen lol. Despite all the water I took, I drank ALL of it, and still managed to get a mild case of heat stroke. There's not much shade once noon hits, so I recommend going early morning, so you can have plenty of time to explore around at the arch, and get back down at a reasonable time before the desert heat gets too intense. So much fun though!! I absolutely loved it and plan to do it again someday soon. FYI: the trail has several spots towards the end that are bit confusing, but there are cairns scattered about to help guide you in the right direction. Watch closely for them, as some are a bit hard to find.

A challenging hike but well worth it with great views. Pay close attention to "markers" of stones or dried wood that others have created to keep you on track. Take plenty of water-especially during hot weather!! This can't be stressed enough, I thought I had enough water and mistakenly I didn't. Be sure to follow the signs out to the top of the arch! This is the most Fantastic part!! I mistakenly took the trail further down to a lookout point then turned around to return.

Tough hike, but I'm not in the best of shape.

Learn from my 2 mistakes. First of all, very good Day hike. Error 1, this trail starts out thru a wash, actually the trail moves in and out of the wash. If you're not paying very close attention you'll miss the Trail sign on the left that has an arrow pointing back up to the left. We walked about 3/4 mile down the wash before we realized we'd made a mistake. The spur is .3 from the parking lot.

Error 2, somehow we got off the trail during the first 1/4? mile of Switchbacks. The actual route went higher but we somehow went straight. It seemed like this was the trail, but it was pretty exposed, I was shocked b/c we'd passed kids (~10 years old) w/ their dad, on the trail earlier. We kept going to the point where i couldn't believe the ranger didn't warn us about the exposure. Eventually we came to a point where i would not go. About then we heard hikers walking above. After a scramble up about 20 feet we realized we were off the trail. on they way back down, after going to the Arch, we never could figure out where we went wrong.

I hiked it in the middle of the day! it was hot, take plenty of water! Beautiful​ views, great hike.

Hiked this as an add on to the grand wash trail from hwy 24. Phenomenal hike, great arch from distance and from close up and outstanding views all along the trail. Hiked it at about 10am so light was good and weather cool (about 65 F).

Love this hike! Saw people rappelling down as we were taking in the beauty of the arch.

Would have been better if it wasn't for the loud group of UVU college students dominating the main viewing point of the arch. Not sure what group they were with, but their outdoor ethics were terrible. Beautiful hike and views.

Saturday, March 11, 2017

We had a great time walking crossed the beautiful ridge line up to the arch. Great trail!

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Pretty rough incline! you gain about 1000ft. in 1.5 miles, but it is sooo worth it. the views the entire way are amazing, and the arch itself is stunning.

In mid November this trail was clear of snow and it was gorgeous out, though I think it may have snowed in the day since I was there. the drive through Grand Wash to get to the trail head is rough, so be sure your car tires can take a bit of rough roads.

As always, bring plenty of water and snacks. this trail isn't technically difficult, but this is still the desert, and that incline is killer.

Saturday, October 15, 2016

Must do! Our fav hike in Capitol Reef, tho we only did the shorter ones due to time... lots of incline, views, slick rock.. Really fun!

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Hike packs a punch, for a shorter hike, very enjoyable. Quiet, great scenery. Dirt & Slick Rock. Definitely some big drop off by the Arch. Must do if you have the time!

Wednesday, June 01, 2016

This hike is gorgeous with so many different colors of rock around every turn. It is steep at first but levels out. You only see the arch from a distance and the trail ends up over the arch. Bring more water than you think you will need. It is hot on a cool day.

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

I loved this hike. We did it with our 2 year old and he loved climbing the rocks. It is thin enough to make you be careful, but it never felt exposed. The views along the cliff were spectacular.

Friday, May 13, 2016

We went in the spring and the weather was perfect. So cool! you are on too of the arch! The views are spectacular! My teenagers loved this, definitely a favorite.

Tuesday, September 08, 2015

This arch is a must see!! We all know Utah is riddled with beautiful and scenic arches, but how often do you get to actually sit on TOP of an arch at 6000+ ft elevation!? It was a pretty steep and strenuous hike, but totally worth it.

Monday, May 18, 2015

Huge arch at the top that you and as many people as you have with you can play on and get some great shots, pretty steap but very worth it at the end. saw some squirrels and cool birds along the way, be sure to bring water and a camera, for more info check out my ig account @ utahtravels

Saturday, February 07, 2015

Wonderful section and perfect ending to the hike. Great views overlooking Capital Reef, and Cassidy Arch is beautiful. I actually approached the end of the trail on the east side, and found myself standing on top of the arch (unknowning), and thinking I found a bottomless pit, as the arch overhangs the edge of the cliff-face and there is a drop over 300 feet down. You can't even see the bottom standing over the whole! This section is well maintained and clearly marked with cairns (unlike some other trails here), so you'll enjoy this section. Oh, and bring water. There is none and it will be hot.

Friday, October 17, 2014

Beautiful views along the entire trail leading to an arch with a huge drop off. Connected this trail at the end of the Grand Wash trail.

Thursday, August 28, 2014

Steep trail leading out of Grand Wash. This trail leads to elevated views of the exposed slick rock plateau and Cassidy Arch. We saw Mountain climbers repelling down into the arch.