Cassidy Arch Trail

Cassidy Arch Trail is a 3.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Torrey, Utah that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October.

rock climbing

Cassidy Arch Canyon is a technical canyoneering route involving 7 rappels up to 140 ft tall through 3 arches. This awesome canyoneering route starts at the popular Cassidy Arch in Capitol Reef National Park. The canyon starts off with a bang as you drop 140 feet through Cassidy Arch followed by another 140-foot rappel. Five more rappels take you through 2 more arches/natural bridges and through sections of scenic canyon rarely visited by others. The canyon takes about half a day and is great fun for canyoneers.

Hiked in the afternoon, reached the trailhead about 4:00 PM and we were back to the car by 6:00.

We didn't have any trouble staying on the the trail, but did find a couple of alternate paths that might have been less strenuous. Beautiful views, all the way around, made it hard to pay attention to where you were putting your feet.

Taking plenty of water goes without saying. I didn't take my trekking pole and really wish that I had. It would have been very helpful on the descent.

Fun hike, nice view

Loved this hike. Did it in March, just before the heat got too intense. The rocks are so fun to walk on but were hard on my knees that are used to stepping on soft wet muddy ground here in the PNW.

Super fun hike! My imagination kept thinking about what it must've been like for Butch Cassidy to scramble up and around on the rocks and cliffs to reach his "secret hideout." Went at about 10:00am, and reached the arch by 11:15. Once at the top, I lingered quite a while to take photos and explore a bit, but stayed too long, as I was intending to beat the afternoon sun -- that didn't happen lol. Despite all the water I took, I drank ALL of it, and still managed to get a mild case of heat stroke. There's not much shade once noon hits, so I recommend going early morning, so you can have plenty of time to explore around at the arch, and get back down at a reasonable time before the desert heat gets too intense. So much fun though!! I absolutely loved it and plan to do it again someday soon. FYI: the trail has several spots towards the end that are bit confusing, but there are cairns scattered about to help guide you in the right direction. Watch closely for them, as some are a bit hard to find.

A challenging hike but well worth it with great views. Pay close attention to "markers" of stones or dried wood that others have created to keep you on track. Take plenty of water-especially during hot weather!! This can't be stressed enough, I thought I had enough water and mistakenly I didn't. Be sure to follow the signs out to the top of the arch! This is the most Fantastic part!! I mistakenly took the trail further down to a lookout point then turned around to return.

Tough hike, but I'm not in the best of shape.

Learn from my 2 mistakes. First of all, very good Day hike. Error 1, this trail starts out thru a wash, actually the trail moves in and out of the wash. If you're not paying very close attention you'll miss the Trail sign on the left that has an arrow pointing back up to the left. We walked about 3/4 mile down the wash before we realized we'd made a mistake. The spur is .3 from the parking lot.

Error 2, somehow we got off the trail during the first 1/4? mile of Switchbacks. The actual route went higher but we somehow went straight. It seemed like this was the trail, but it was pretty exposed, I was shocked b/c we'd passed kids (~10 years old) w/ their dad, on the trail earlier. We kept going to the point where i couldn't believe the ranger didn't warn us about the exposure. Eventually we came to a point where i would not go. About then we heard hikers walking above. After a scramble up about 20 feet we realized we were off the trail. on they way back down, after going to the Arch, we never could figure out where we went wrong.

I hiked it in the middle of the day! it was hot, take plenty of water! Beautiful​ views, great hike.

Hiked this as an add on to the grand wash trail from hwy 24. Phenomenal hike, great arch from distance and from close up and outstanding views all along the trail. Hiked it at about 10am so light was good and weather cool (about 65 F).

Love this hike! Saw people rappelling down as we were taking in the beauty of the arch.