Cascade Saddle Trail

Cascade Saddle Trail is a 10.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Provo, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from July until October.

Beautiful trail! We started from the Big Springs trailhead and it took us about 6 hours roundtrip to the saddle and back. There were so many wildflowers and butterflies the whole way and the trail was really lush and green. Right before the saddle we did have to cross a small snowfield that was a little sketchy but other than that we didn't really run into any issues. We started very early in the morning but by the time we were headed back it was very hot. The hike was pretty steep at parts and there is alot of loose rock so I would recommend bringing poles for this one if you have them. We each slipped a few times on the way down without poles. Overall the hike was easier than I anicipated and actually not as steep as some of the reviews led me to believe. That being said, this is not a great hike for beginners. If it weren't for the longer distance, I personally would only rate this a moderately difficult hike. While some of the steep parts are incredibly steep, the trail levels out frequently. Great hike, the views at the saddle are amazing and well worth the time it takes to get there.

Tried to hike this last Saturday. The trail is well trafficked in the beginning. Once you get up a ways there is a lot of snow still. There has clearly been some avalanches this winter that have covered some of the trail with trees. There was still some good avalanche danger so we turned back.

Monday, August 08, 2016

Beautiful hike. We hiked to the saddle and spent the night. Then, we hunted over to Cascade Peak, which was grueling. I suggest bringing a lot of water. We basically team out when we arrived back at the saddle from Cascade Peak and we basically had 2L of water and 1L of POWERade. But, we came down the Big Springs trail quick enough to drink from the spring. The hike to the saddle is something I'd consider doing again and continuing on the other side and through Rock Canyon to Provo. But, it would take a lot for me to do Cascade Peak again. If I do, I will do it via Dry Fork, since it is shorter than Big Springs.

Monday, July 25, 2016

Thursday, July 21, 2016

Absolutely fantastic trail. It follows a dirt road for the first mile and a half to what looked like a campground, and then begins its journey into the wilderness. The first part is all crisscrossed with other trails and campsites, so it can be a little confusing. Just keep going forward following the road and you'll be fine.

I didn't see another person the whole hike after the dirt road, plus lots of vegetation, steep hillsides, green basins, and a nice view of the wilderness from the saddle. This was everything I look for in a hike.

No mosquitoes, but the flies (deer flies?) bite, so watch out.

Friday, July 08, 2016

Friday, June 10, 2016

Thursday, October 01, 2015

The trail is gorgeous. I don't think you could really ask for more in a trail, except make a stream or some water source. It was shaded a good deal of the time. Well maintained, easy trail to follow. There were a few sections of loose rock, which were hard to get down without sliding a bit. The trail is pretty difficult, as far as grade. It's pretty consistently steep, but the last mile before the saddle is especially steep. The views from the saddle make it worth it. Be prepared and bring a lot of water, there isn't any on the trail once you leave the Big Springs area.

Monday, September 28, 2015

Sunday, June 14, 2015

Went up from rock canyon and continued to the saddle (8 mi), and then headed down the big springs trail (8 mi). Some of the best views so far, absolutely loved it. Going down was a bit sketchy since there was still a TON of snow -- ended up losing the trail for a mile or two and sliding down in the snow drainage ditches. Wouldn't recommend going down that way... not too many people, didn't see people for about three hours when I was up about the saddle. Big spring trail leads out to Vivian park in Provo canyon.

Sunday, June 14, 2015

One of the toughest trails in the Uintahs in my opinion. Super beautiful the whole way and the saddle brings awesome views of a number of different peaks. From the saddle you can hook up to dry fork trail which connects to rock canyon. You can also walk along the ridge line to the different peaks on cascade. This trail is deceptively steep and long. Worth the hike of you're an experienced hiker and in good shape.

You also are pretty isolated. I spent some time in my hammock at the saddle and was on the mountain for about 8 hours. Outside of a mile or so from the trailhead I saw one person.

skiing
Saturday, February 07, 2015

Sunday, June 08, 2014

Started at Big Springs park, to Cascade Saddle, then down to Rock Canyon. First week of June there was still lots of snow near the peaks, and an avalanche wiped out the trail, necessitating a little tracking of some game trails to find our way. Took more like 7.5 hrs due to my hiking buddy getting a little altitude sickness.

Sunday, December 29, 2013

I encountered this trail on my way up to Big Springs and decided to keep going once I reached the springs. It was such a beautiful trail the entire way up, so many wild flowers and so green! The saddle sits you at a beautiful view of Provo Peak and all the steps along the mountain side. I'm almost positive the trail continues to Provo Peak.

Monday, May 27, 2013