Butler Fork to Gobblers Knob Trail

Butler Fork to Gobblers Knob Trail is a 7.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

Gorgeous and a must do in the wasatch. Combine with Raymond’s peak as well.

First mile and distance from the saddle to the top was pretty steep. And the top was freezing cold! All worth the time and effort. Took us about 5 hours total. Many false peaks, so keep going until you actually can’t go up any more. Would love to do mount Raymond (which is left at the fork when you get to the saddle) but could probably do both goblers and Raymond in one day if you wanted to put in an extra hour.

Hiked 8.25.17

BEAUTIFUL VIEWS from Gobbler’s Knob! One of my favorite hikes I’ve done in the area and totally worth the butt kicking the trail gave me. :)

I hike a lot, but this is the most elevation gain I’d done on a hike and it was intense. Took me 2 hours to get to the top.

Beautiful wildflowers and I only saw one other person on the trail but it was a Tuesday. This is a quad burner in places, especially from the saddle to summit, but the views are amazing. My strava said 10.2 miles. About 4 hours total time but I stopped at lot on the way up to take pictures. I trail ran most of the descent and it only took me little over an hour. Next time I'm going to summit Raymond.

Great hike! First off, I'm with the review below—this trail is NOT moderate. It should be rated as hard. The trail up to Gobbler's Knob begins steep and ends even steeper. But the views of the canyon are glorious, and there are tons of wildflowers throughout the entire hike. I really enjoyed this trail and will definitely be back again.

Great Hike. I would rate that as hard, in terms of difficulty. First mile is straight up. It's about 7.9 miles.

Beautiful day! Very few people on the trail and I had the summit to myself. Worth the climb.

Great hike, but it should be rated as hard...

Gorgeous hike! Very steep, pay attention to where you are supposed to be or you will end up in the wrong place.

The start is a nice steep burn and getting to the summit is a little grueling. A couple false peaks but you are almost there. Stunning views. Worth the hard work!

Super fun and longer then it appears

Ankle to shin-deep snow at the ascent to the first ridge, then the ridge trail is easy to follow up to the gobblers knob split. Going up to the saddle, the trail disappears under the snow for the remainder of the trail, so I used the AllTrails app and followed the general direction with GPS. Had to turn around 0.4mi from the summit due to dangerous snow chutes.
Could have benefited from micro spike traction in the snow.

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Nice views from the top. Climbed the alternate route from Millcreek Canyon

Sunday, September 18, 2016

beautiful. difficult.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Tougher than expected. I think of this one in three parts - steep first 1/2 mile, flatter middle section, steep climb together the peak. Had a great time, and it's a beautiful hike. I agree with the other reviews that the 7.6 round trip seems short.

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Excellent hike.

Tuesday, August 09, 2016

Totally not a hike to do after a long day of work, really strenuous. Not a lot of breaks, I found there was a lot of false peaks but BEAUTIFUL. So worth it, just be prepped for a long one.

Sunday, August 07, 2016

SOOO beautiful!!! Hiked up earlier this morning and made it about 1/4 mile past the Gobblers Knob/Dog Lake sign junction heading up towards Dog Lake. Had to head out prematurely due to an electrical storm quickly coming in on us.

The first 1/4 mile off the trailhead is STEEP!!! Wowza, after that, its a gentle uphill grade.

Really enjoyed it and got in a solid hour of a hiking workout in the beautiful forest!

Friday, July 29, 2016

Gorgeous hike. The trail just got widened. If you hike in the morning you will stay on the shadow side of the mountain the whole hike and it's nice and cool.

Thursday, July 14, 2016

beautiful hike! lots of flowers, butterflies, hummingbirds... and lots of biting flies. I questioned whether i would do this hike again based on the bugs. I literally was picking them out of my hair. 100%deet bug spray didnt save me from being bit. It was BAD. Dont wear shorts, wear sleeves if you can. start early. it gets hot up there and theres stretches without Any cover. I decided id hike this again, but im going to invest in a bug screen hat.

Friday, July 08, 2016

Beautiful hike, lots of wild flowers and great views. I would recommend taking plenty of water and an early start as afternoon is quite hot.

Sunday, July 03, 2016

Great hike. But there are tons of biting flies right now.

Thursday, June 30, 2016

awesome trail with amazing views of both big cottonwood canyon and millcreek canyon.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Hike was more difficult than moderate for me but not too bad. Going slow we hit a lot of flies along the trail and that was not fun. But overall it was a beautiful hike especially once you emerged from the tree line (and out of the flies). The view from the peak is an amazing 360 panorama of the different valleys and canyons. I read on different sites as well as Alltrails that it was a 3.6-3.8 (7.8 round trip) miles to the peak, however using the app to calculate distance it showed us at 4.8 when we hit the top. It's quite the climb with a few spots of reprieve flattening out the trail.

Sunday, June 19, 2016

I'm a really slow hiker. So, it took my husband and I six hours round-trip to get within a half mile of the peak. We were pretty tired after trekking up and the trail started to get rocky and more steep towards the peak so we went back down that half mile and rested. There are some great views on the way, so it was worth it.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

This is a beautiful hike. Less traffic here than other hikes in the area. The iPhone app has the distance labeled as 3.8 miles but as we were hiking the app showed that it was 4.8 miles. The iPhone app lists it as an easy hike but on the website it's listed as moderate. I would definitely classify it as moderate. Our twin six-year-old girls made it up, along with our 10 year old son. It took us a long time though. Constant elevation gain. We visited on memorial day June 1, 2016 and there was quite a bit of snow near the top but not enough to stop us from getting around it. At 40.66104, -111.68044 the trees have been decimated by a big avalanche. Perhaps the one described here. http://kutv.com/news/local/at-least-one-person-trapped-in-avalanche-in-millcreek-canyon.

Saturday, May 28, 2016

We took the turn towards dog lake. Wonder-full meadows and fields of aspen. Flowers are beginning to bloom, but as you get further toward dog lake there's a washed out trail and mostly snow.

There's a wonderfull waterfall somewhat near the trailhead that I thought was the best part of the hike.

Saturday, May 21, 2016

This was a pretty hike and there were dozens of butterflies at the summit. There were a lot of biting flies so although it was hot, I wore pants and used bug repellant. If you tend to slip and slide coming down like I do - sticks would be really helpful!

Monday, November 02, 2015

We started this hike at Mill B North. I'm pretty sure it's the longest way to get up there! Gorgeous colors and really interesting to wind in and out of Millcreek and Big Cottonwood Canyons. We spent the entire day wandering through the trail heads and then had lunch at the summit. It is definitely chilly up there so bring an extra layer! The views were stunning. Definitely a must do!