Butler Fork to Dog Lake

Butler Fork to Dog Lake is a 5.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September.

This trail is great for the trail, not for the lake. very quiet and secluded. go early and it's very shaded and cool. The trail was not crowded at all, which was wonderful, but it is crowded at the lake

The trail itself is cool. Worth the experience. 3 stars because I'm not a fan of Dog lake. Keep going up Gobbler's knob for a better experience.

Went about a month ago and there was still snow on the trails. It may have melted more by now, but don't be surprised if you run into any. Saw a moose on the trail and there were lots of pretty trees, but I will admit, the lake is pretty disappointing. For the length of the hike, and compared to the other lakes in this canyon, it doesn't stand out.

"Dog Lake is lame" said a high school girl at the trailhead as I was coming down, and after hiking it I kind of have to agree with her. There are lots of trees, and I imagine it's beautiful in the Autumn, but it doesn't compare to the grandeur of some of the other hikes in the area. Trail is still snow covered past the Mill A junction, so you'll want boots if your'e going all the way to the lake. I saw lots of moose tracks in the snow, so this might be a good one for you if you're searching for wildlife, but I don't think I'll hike it again.

This is my favorite trail to hike. You get a little splash of everything on this trail; wild flowers, streams, woods, meadows, wild animals, and a lake. My family loves to pack a lunch and relax at the lake for the afternoon. I also often see people camping up here in the summer.

This trail is so beautiful!!! I used spikes and boots until just over 8,000 feet and then switched to snow shoes. The first half mile the ascent was pretty icy, make sure you have some spikes. Also, once you get to the ridge (around mile 2.5) don’t miss the left turn!

Saturday, October 24, 2015