Learn more

Butler Fork Loop is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

Length 7.3 mi Elevation gain 2,139 ft Route type Loop

Photos (736)
Recordings (47)
Completed (132)
Maria Garcia
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jul 04 2020

Great hike. Over grown in several areas and the sting weed sucks! Views are awesome. I suggest getting started by 7 a.m. if you want to maximize your shade and get a nearby parking spot.

Jan Han
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 27 2020
Hiking

One of the most beautiful hikes of the season! We took butler fork trail (Circle All or Awl Peak) & veered right towards Dog Lake after the first 1/3 mile or so. Here the trail is narrow and almost overgrown, but still easy to follow. In this route the trail follows the cascading stream most the way. You have a beautiful meadow and bog where I assume would be a good moose habitat. Wild flowers were coming out and the meadow was lush, with aspens on the hillside. One more steep hill and you are at the top where you can choose to go down 1.3 miles to Dog Lake or take the traverse on Desolation Trail towards Circle Awl peak. We went that route. The views were awesome. You are really high up. We walked across a few miles to Circle Awl Peak for a spectacular viewpoint. (cut back to Butler Fork trail at the sign). We came down the short way down Butler Fork trail. Total distance was 8.5 miles with 2029 ft elevation climb. There's lots of stinging nettle on the narrow trail. I got some on my leg, so watch for that or wear long pants. Snow is all gone. On the trail towards dog lake and the top traverse, we mostly had the place to ourselves.

KJ Marcusen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jun 19 2020
Hiking

Beautiful trail. We took the trail to the right (Butler Fork) up and the Mill A trail down. Beautiful wild flowers. There were a few spots where the trail was overgrown or covered with fallen trees.

Marci Hankins
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Jun 15 2020
HikingBugsOver grown

Did this trail on 6/13 and loved it! Ended up being 8.3 round trip for us. We took the loop to the left and clockwise. The first 2 miles had significant elevation gain. We stopped for a bit on the peak which is tricky to see unless you are looking for it. That made for a nice break before continuing the loop to the more flat section. The trail was overgrown in areas and mostly narrow which made it hard for people to pass- there were several trail runners and a handful of other hikers. A little buggy but not bad. Near the end there were several trees across the trail which we had to climb over. Took us about 5.5 hours with breaks.

Lane Chapman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon May 11 2020
HikingIcyMuddySnow

This trail needs a bit more time - hiked it today 5/11 and there was thigh deep snow in areas - it’s very easy to lose the trail. We made it about half way and turned back when the snow reached our waist. Has some great views but I’d wait for it to thaw a bit more before you attempt this one.

Scott Demar
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat May 09 2020
HikingIcyMuddyOff trailSnow
View Scott's Recording
Megan Avery
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Nov 24 2019
HikingIcyMuddySnow

Yesterday we hiked this and loved it! Such stunning views! Except for losing the trail at one point and going off for maybe a mile. Meh. We took it clockwise, so I don’t recommend that with the snow! (We lost the trail at the last junction, closest to Dog Lake.) Spikes were great to have!

carol dalton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu Oct 03 2019
HikingMuddy

We did this in a clockwise loop, because I prefer it being more steep on the uphill than the downhill. But I think they’re both pretty much equal. Glad I had my poles for the downhill. It’s pretty steep. It was gorgeous on October 3. However most of the aspens are still green! There are muddy spots but nothing too crazy. I recommend this for the spectacular views and for the fall colors when at peak. AT said 7.8 miles - we 60+ year olds , averaged about 30 minutes a mile.

View carol's Recording
Ben Trovato
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Sep 21 2019
HikingSnow

Hiked this on a day after rain in Salt Lake City. Absolutely gorgeous! There was some snow and slush at the higher elevations, but overall quite manageable. I'm truly impressed at being able to be able to do a half-hour drive from the city and be completely immersed in pristine wilderness with no hint of any urban landscape, as one can with this hike in the Wasatch Mountains.

Tracy G
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMon Aug 19 2019
Hiking

8-19-2019. Butler Fork tail to split to Dog Lake and Mill trail. 1:30 start. Very buggy and overgrown on much of the trail but gorgeous flowers and scenery. Will do again but earlier in day so cool enough for long pants.

View Tracy's Recording
Amber Smallwood
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jul 20 2019
HikingBugsOver grown

I took a few people’s recommendations and went counter clockwise on the loop. This is definitely the best way to do it! Elevation gain isn’t nearly as rapid and I think the view is better heading up the other way. Overall I really liked this trail though! Flowers were everywhere with all different colors and butterflies is masses. Mostly shaded and followed the creek for most of it on one side.

View Amber's Recording
B Bofthemountains
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jul 13 2019
HikingBugs

I would highly recommend this trail. I would go to Circle all first then do the loop clockwise. Gentle downhill most the way from Circle. Great flowers and wildlife throughout. Ran into a moose on the way up to Dog lake

Cecily Woodbury
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Jun 17 2019
Hiking

Great hike today. Came up through Mill A Basin then east on Desolation Trail. Ran into a little, manageable snow. Then back down (be careful here I first missed it) Butler Fork Trail. It was nice to be on trail that follows stream down.

View Cecily's Recording
Jeff Noyce
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 15 2019
Hiking

Great trail. No one on the back stretch today and that is the best part! Still patches of snow you have to traverse but nothing terrible. Went to all circle peak and dog lake. Quite a bit of snow on the stretch to dog lake.

Jeffrey Taylor
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed Jun 05 2019
HikingMuddySnow
Mary Bank
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon May 27 2019
HikingSnow

Went up mill a basin at the initial split. The last and steepest part is pretty thick with snow. But traversable. We were hopeful it would be melted along the ridge but no luck, trail kinda disappeared. Amazing afternoon light into the valley once you come up and around the back. Harder than expected for moderate rank.

David Post
HikingOff trailSnow

We did this full loop today going clockwise. Great views but wouldn’t recommend (for at least another few weeks) without snow shoes. 70% of it was covered in snow and deep at times. With one of us in sneakers and shorts and the other in boots we weren’t prepared. Without use of gps and one persons tracks from a few days or a week ago on parts of the trail, we wouldn’t have been able to stay on the trail. On the way down we had no trail / tracks and followed the stream until the snow was gone and we rejoined the trail. There is one traverse on a very steep slope at around mile 3 with deep snow that seemed to have some avalanche risk.

Lawrence M.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri May 17 2019
HikingRocky

Beautiful views of the canyon and Salt Lake valley. A steep trail.

Alana Babington
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Nov 02 2018

One of my favorite trails in this area!! I love hiking reverse to dog lake first and then around the loop, that way you see views of the big mountains in the background the whole time. If you’re feeling adventurous and have a whole day to hike, you can continue up to Gobblers Knob. Great hike with beautiful views!!