Learn more

Butler Fork Loop is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

Length 7.3 mi Elevation gain 2,139 ft Route type Loop
Photos (912)
Recordings (60)
Completed (165)
Jeremy V
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 19, 2020
Hiking

Definitely go counterclockwise. That way to get 99% of your uphill over with. Lots of fallen . And not much to see in the way of color in the leaves because they have all been blown off.

View Jeremy 's Recording
DIana Helmuth
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 18, 2020
HikingBlowdown

The climb up Butler creek is lovely. But above that, most of the grass and flowers are dead right now, so things are just kinda...brown. I imagine it's a sight in spring, though. If you like aspen groves however, this trail was meant for you, they are abundant through the entire loop. The trail is flat between Dog Lake junction heading West, with incredible vistas looking south towards Kessler peak. Thank you to the person who suggested this route be done counterclockwise, so you can look at these vistas on the way down. Coming down Mill D on the other side was much steeper (and it's not quite as pretty IMHO). One note: Dog lake is a puddle this time of year-- wasn't worth shooting off to see. There's no water after Butler Fork and you're pretty exposed to the sun, so bring a bit of extra water, and probably a hat.

Lisa Meisner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 16, 2020
HikingOver grown
View Lisa's Recording
Vince Hernandez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 12, 2020
Hiking

Great trail around the ridge of a little valley/basin. We took the counterclockwise direction of the loop toward Dog Lake and were glad we did! The incline is more gentle this way and you’ll be rewarded by facing incredible views on the way back down! Also, the trail was quite steep coming down the last mile of the trail - another reason to go counterclockwise if you don’t want to hike uphill. Also - lots of fallen trees on the trail for the last portion (or first portion if you go clockwise), I’m assuming from our recent wind storm that you’ll have to scramble over, under, and around.

Shalee Schmidt
Hiking

It was picturesque and perfect temperature. It was the hike of vistas. We also saw several moose, lots of deer, a couple grouse and squirrels. The thing that was a little bit sad was the number of trees that had been blown over in the hurricane winds we had at the beginning of the week. Many trees are across the trail which causes you to have to climb around or over them. That part was fun. I would really recommend this hike. It’s a long one though. or over them.

View Shalee's Recording
Erin Johnson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 6, 2020
View Erin's Recording
Rick Saunders
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 20, 2020
Hiking

Two mountain lions on the trail at 6:30 am just after the split to Mill A Basin, just after crossing the stream on Butler Fork on 20 July 2020.

Ray LeBaron
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 15, 2020
Hiking

My first big hike since moving to Utah. I was with very experienced hikers and they pushed me and I did as well as they did. Amazing scenery, especially at sunset! Very steep incline for all hikers going up, but it gets beautiful very fast. A note on stinging nettle: I could see it and smell it, and pretty sure I rubbed against it as the entire trail is narrow and single file, but no one had any reports of rashes at all. Nothing to be worried about, at least on the main trail.

Maria Garcia
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 4, 2020

Great hike. Over grown in several areas and the sting weed sucks! Views are awesome. I suggest getting started by 7 a.m. if you want to maximize your shade and get a nearby parking spot.

Jan Han
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 27, 2020
Hiking

One of the most beautiful hikes of the season! We took butler fork trail (Circle All or Awl Peak) & veered right towards Dog Lake after the first 1/3 mile or so. Here the trail is narrow and almost overgrown, but still easy to follow. In this route the trail follows the cascading stream most the way. You have a beautiful meadow and bog where I assume would be a good moose habitat. Wild flowers were coming out and the meadow was lush, with aspens on the hillside. One more steep hill and you are at the top where you can choose to go down 1.3 miles to Dog Lake or take the traverse on Desolation Trail towards Circle Awl peak. We went that route. The views were awesome. You are really high up. We walked across a few miles to Circle Awl Peak for a spectacular viewpoint. (cut back to Butler Fork trail at the sign). We came down the short way down Butler Fork trail. Total distance was 8.5 miles with 2029 ft elevation climb. There's lots of stinging nettle on the narrow trail. I got some on my leg, so watch for that or wear long pants. Snow is all gone. On the trail towards dog lake and the top traverse, we mostly had the place to ourselves.

KJ Marcusen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 19, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful trail. We took the trail to the right (Butler Fork) up and the Mill A trail down. Beautiful wild flowers. There were a few spots where the trail was overgrown or covered with fallen trees.

Marci Hankins
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 15, 2020
HikingBugsOver grown

Did this trail on 6/13 and loved it! Ended up being 8.3 round trip for us. We took the loop to the left and clockwise. The first 2 miles had significant elevation gain. We stopped for a bit on the peak which is tricky to see unless you are looking for it. That made for a nice break before continuing the loop to the more flat section. The trail was overgrown in areas and mostly narrow which made it hard for people to pass- there were several trail runners and a handful of other hikers. A little buggy but not bad. Near the end there were several trees across the trail which we had to climb over. Took us about 5.5 hours with breaks.

Lane Chapman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 11, 2020
HikingIcyMuddySnow

This trail needs a bit more time - hiked it today 5/11 and there was thigh deep snow in areas - it’s very easy to lose the trail. We made it about half way and turned back when the snow reached our waist. Has some great views but I’d wait for it to thaw a bit more before you attempt this one.

Scott Demar
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 9, 2020
HikingIcyMuddyOff trailSnow
View Scott's Recording
Megan Avery
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarNovember 24, 2019
HikingIcyMuddySnow

Yesterday we hiked this and loved it! Such stunning views! Except for losing the trail at one point and going off for maybe a mile. Meh. We took it clockwise, so I don’t recommend that with the snow! (We lost the trail at the last junction, closest to Dog Lake.) Spikes were great to have!

carol dalton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 3, 2019
HikingMuddy

We did this in a clockwise loop, because I prefer it being more steep on the uphill than the downhill. But I think they’re both pretty much equal. Glad I had my poles for the downhill. It’s pretty steep. It was gorgeous on October 3. However most of the aspens are still green! There are muddy spots but nothing too crazy. I recommend this for the spectacular views and for the fall colors when at peak. AT said 7.8 miles - we 60+ year olds , averaged about 30 minutes a mile.

View carol's Recording
Ben Trovato
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 21, 2019
HikingSnow

Hiked this on a day after rain in Salt Lake City. Absolutely gorgeous! There was some snow and slush at the higher elevations, but overall quite manageable. I'm truly impressed at being able to be able to do a half-hour drive from the city and be completely immersed in pristine wilderness with no hint of any urban landscape, as one can with this hike in the Wasatch Mountains.

Tracy G
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 19, 2019
Hiking

8-19-2019. Butler Fork tail to split to Dog Lake and Mill trail. 1:30 start. Very buggy and overgrown on much of the trail but gorgeous flowers and scenery. Will do again but earlier in day so cool enough for long pants.

View Tracy's Recording
Amber Smallwood
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 20, 2019
HikingBugsOver grown

I took a few people’s recommendations and went counter clockwise on the loop. This is definitely the best way to do it! Elevation gain isn’t nearly as rapid and I think the view is better heading up the other way. Overall I really liked this trail though! Flowers were everywhere with all different colors and butterflies is masses. Mostly shaded and followed the creek for most of it on one side.

View Amber's Recording
B Bofthemountains
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 13, 2019
HikingBugs

I would highly recommend this trail. I would go to Circle all first then do the loop clockwise. Gentle downhill most the way from Circle. Great flowers and wildlife throughout. Ran into a moose on the way up to Dog lake

Cecily Woodbury
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 17, 2019
Hiking

Great hike today. Came up through Mill A Basin then east on Desolation Trail. Ran into a little, manageable snow. Then back down (be careful here I first missed it) Butler Fork Trail. It was nice to be on trail that follows stream down.

View Cecily's Recording