Learn more

Butler Fork and Desolation Trail to Mount Raymond

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(185)
Mount Olympus Wilderness

Butler Fork and Desolation Trail to Mount Raymond is a 7.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from January until September.

Length 7.5 mi Elevation gain 3,028 ft Route type Out & Back

Description
Waypoints (0)
Contact
Getting There

Please note: this trail is in a protected watershed, so dogs and swimming are not allowed.

Utah Travel Council, Council Hall, P.O. Box 147420 , Salt Lake City, UT, 84114, Phone: 801-538-1030, travel@utah.com

Directions from Salt Lake City: Follow Big Cottonwood Canyon Road (7000 South Wasatch Blvd.) about 8.2 miles up the canyon.About 0.6 mile west of Jordan Pines Campground area.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (186)
Photos (641)
Recordings (148)
Completed (557)
Rachel Crompton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jul 03 2020
HikingRockyScramble

This was my first time doing Mount Raymond and loved it! I was with a group of ladies and we were driven to get this peak done fast. We started about 7am and hit the peak around 10am. The wildflowers were beautiful and the valley views were incredible on all sides. We stayed on the peak for about an hour and then made our way down. There is some scramble going up but we all managed without poles and I personally enjoyed the climbing element a lot. Didn't see any snakes but saw a cute critter up top. Attire: - Shorts - Tank top - Ankle boots (Danner) - Jacket (chilly morning but took off before we made it a mile) - Hat (very helpful since the trail is exposed most of the way) Supplies: - 3 L water (drank 2/3 of it, glad for the early start as I would have consumed more had we hiked under the. heat of the sun) - Trail mix (didn't have breakfast...) - Camp chair (there wasn't a ton of room at the top to sit but I made it work; one of the girls had an inflatable cushion that worked really well and looked very lightweight) 100% would do again, great time!

View Rachel's Recording
Saya Zeleznik
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed Jul 01 2020
HikingRockyScramble

Most of the elevation gain is at the beginning to circle all peak and at the end to Reynolds, so not a super hard trail as you have a lot of time to catch your breath. Personally not one of my favorites as I’m not a fan of heights, stopped about 200 ft from the summit (the drop offs gave me a little vertigo). But very nice trail with shade, streams, and pretty views of Millcreek and the mountains out into the avenues!

View Saya's Recording
Jaima Andersen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Jun 30 2020
Hiking

Beautiful trail BUT 2 rattlesnakes at top. Read later on search and rescue page a guy got bit within an hour we were up there!!!!!!!!!! Watch for snakes

Jaymie Christensen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 27 2020
HikingScramble

6/27/2020 Hiked up to Mount Raymond & then over to Gobblers knob and back down. Mount Raymond has some light scrambling. When you get to a slanted rock wall that seems scary or hard to get around. Go up the ridge. It seems like that isn’t right but it’s not as sketchy as it looks. Beautiful views from both peaks.

View Jaymie's Recording
Lisa B
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Jun 25 2020
HikingRockyScramble

Scramble is challenging! Amazing views. Great variety of wildflowers.

Cole Trier
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jun 24 2020

Great conditions on Wed, June 24. Took 1 hour 45 minutes up, leaving at 830am, and I only saw 4 other people on the round trip. The end is an exciting scramble and well worth it.

Mary Kate vom Lehn
HikingFeeScramble
View Mary Kate's Recording
Hannah T.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jun 23 2020
Hiking

Parking lot was mostly full by 8am on a Tuesday, but we only saw a handful of folks on the trail. Pretty good shade in the morning, gone by the afternoon. Extremely little snow on the trail; poles not necessary. Very doable scramble to the top. A great hike!

View Hannah's Recording
Katherine Donaldson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jun 17 2020
HikingScramble

This was an awesome trail! It didn’t feel quite as hard as the stats make it seem. It was so pleasant and beautiful with a few steep climbs. We were able to avoid any snow left on the trail easily. I didn’t find the scramble too difficult or the drop offs that steep (even as someone who doesn’t enjoy heights), but we also got lucky that the wind died down for our scramble and time at the top, otherwise I could see it being a little tougher.

Megan Avery
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jun 14 2020
HikingScramble

This is one of my favorites! Vastly beautiful, challenging, and way fun. Some snow patches along the last .6 of a mile, but easy to skirt. If you don’t love heights and crawling along a knife-edge rocky scramble, maybe pass this one. Thanks to all who demonstrated trail etiquette-you made me proud!

Dave Morris
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Jun 10 2020
Hiking

Snow from bottom to top, but melted to slush by the time I came down. About 10 inches up top. Don’t imagine it will be there much longer, based on the melt I saw in a few hours. Great trail. More scramble up the peak than you encounter up Gobbler’s. Views are better from Raymond, in my opinion.

Christopher B
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jun 07 2020

Pretty much snow free to the summit, a patch here and there on the ridge line, but you can easily work around it or walk through it with little effort.

Taylor Davis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed May 27 2020
RunningMuddy

Great trail for trail running or hiking! A little steep at places so be careful. It’s still muddy and snowy before circle peak but not bad. The scramble to the peak wasn’t a problem, but there is still snow up there and probably will be for the next few weeks.

Brianna Landis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat May 16 2020
HikingOff trailSnow

I hiked Butler fork to Raymond this morning, left at 6:45. There are a few patchy snow spots the first mile. First set of switchbacks was dry, the next ridge switchbacks on mile 2 were snowcovered but there are plenty of footprints to follow the trail. After you crest the ridge you go down the other side into the basin, this part of the trail is clear and not muddy until you get closer to Raymond - I lost the trail in the snow but worked my way up ridge to the saddle and picked it up again pretty easily. The ascent to Raymond was better than I anticipated. It's mostly snow with good foot marks to use and follow. I definitely recommend doing it on the morning because the snow felt solid and sturdy and I didn't slip. On the way down it was much softer, slippier, and I post holed a few times. The summit itself is clear of snow. The rest of the lower trail was a bit muddier on the way back bit still not bad. Definitely bring waterproof hiking shoes and microspikes, though I only used mine on the way down. I don't like poles personally but the two other people I saw had them and we're thankful. The hike was breathtaking the whole way, and I saw an eagle riding the thermals in the bowl! Great trail!

Chris Lake
Hiking

6:30 am start and summit just before 9 am. Trail was mostly dry but there still are areas of snow that don't get as much sun (leading up to the first ridge and second ridge). I lost the trail leading up to the 2nd ridge but just worked my way up to the ridge until I found it again. I wore microspikes for the last push up to the summit and back down it. You'll want them if you have them. This is a challenging hike, but gorgeous and one that isn't too busy.

Megan Avery
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Nov 16 2019
HikingIcyMuddyRockyScrambleSnow

Sweet spike today! So glad I wore spikes and was warm enough. You’ll need ‘em! The last .6 mile is along a ridge, with about half of that along a rocky/knife edge. On the descent I slipped, even with spikes, and slid about 15 feet down a rock wall. Pretty freakin’ scary. I should have had a pole and gaiters would have been nice. Trail is tricky to find along the knife edge/rocky scramble part so there was some postholing. Be safe! Thx to all the kind people I met along the way!

Melanie S
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Oct 08 2019
Hiking

Nice and steep without being grueling. I was nervous about the rock scramble at the end but it really wasn’t that bad. The colors in the canyon are beautiful right now but the colors on this trail don’t really start showing off until the aspen grove at the base of the saddle. Trail is somewhat overgrown, so cover your legs to prevent being scratched up. Also loved that this trail wasn’t as crowded as others (like Blanche)

Jeremy Larsen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Sep 27 2019
HikingMuddy

Awesome trail and I run, a bit chilly up top

View Jeremy's Recording
Jason Stewart
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu Aug 22 2019
Hiking

Great hike and nicely shaded. Rock scramble to the top. So beautiful the whole way! We saw a few wild turkeys along the way too. Overall great hike not too hard.

View Jason's Recording
A.P. C.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun Aug 11 2019
Hiking

Hiked to Mt. Raymond on 8/10/19 w. nephew. Trail was nice, some scrambling as described in earlier posts. Took 2hrs30mins to summit. 2 hour descent. Raymond summit takes about 20 minutes less than Gobblers Knob summit. No moose or any other wildlife today. Trail was pretty busy.

Victoria Williams
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMon Aug 05 2019
Hiking

VERY overgrown right now.

View Victoria's Recording