Butler Fork and Desolation Trail to Mount Raymond

Butler Fork and Desolation Trail to Mount Raymond is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from January until September.

Directions from Salt Lake City: Follow Big Cottonwood Canyon Road (7000 South Wasatch Blvd.) about 8.2 miles up the canyon.About 0.6 mile west of Jordan Pines Campground area.

Micro spikes very helpful early in the trail where there was quit a bit of ice and icy snow - definitely recommend if you're hiking early in the morning when temps are below freezing. After we passed Circle Awl Peak the snow was packed down (no need for snowshoes) and then I was quite surprised to see so much snow up in Mill A Basin (about 2 feet of fluff). Needed snow shoes once we reached the basin. Great climb up to the ridge-line where we dropped the snowshoes and went through a Class 3 hike (about 1/4 mile) to the summit. Overall really enjoyable climb with various obstacles and we saw three moose, bonus!

Great trail to break in some snowshoes after a good heavy snow. The first part of the ascent is a little icy in the winter so make sure you have some good spikes. The summit was fairly difficult to reach with snow, but doable. Definitely would hike up again.

Easy/moderate hike until the last quarter mile to Mount Raymond's Summit, which gets steep and requires a couple easy scrambles. Beautiful view at the peak!

great trail with breathtaking views

Great views fro the Peak

Great challenging hike. Camping spots 1.5 miles in. A 'mini timpanogos.'

No snow. First 1.5 m is a nice moderate incline. It then mellows out and becomes steep the last .5 m. There are so many wildflowers right now. Incredibly beautiful trail.

Stunning views in every direction

Able to summit Mt. Raymond on 6/5/17 without special gear. very little snow

Thursday, November 03, 2016

I did this trail as a sunset hike last night. I started at 5:10 and finished at 7:55. There was a lot of snow along the ridge and it's icy towards the top. Wouldn't suggest doing without sun haha. Still fun. Did it solo, RT 2:44

Thursday, November 03, 2016

I did this trail as a sunset hike today. There was a lot of snow along the ridge and it's icy towards the top. Wouldn't suggest doing without sun haha. Still fun. Did it solo, RT 2:44

Saturday, October 08, 2016

If you can get past the first part of the trail....

The view from the first peak is spectacular!!! Maybe when I move out of beginner phase into big boy phase, I'll hike the entire trail.

Sunday, October 02, 2016

Epic! Who needs a gym?!! And the fall colors are spectacular (reason for 5 stars). Don't miss the views at Baker Pass
We started at Bowman Fork. It's was a ten mile hike for us.
As you start incline to Raymond, trail gets rocky. There is some serious scrambling at one point at this rock wall. (thankful other hikers and 4g! Bewildered for a sec). The scrambling area has lots of good footing. Go to right, stay between trees and rocks. After that, keep climbing. Again, epic and worth the insane incline.

Sunday, September 11, 2016

This hike is awesome. The trail has a lot of bushes that an poke you so wear pants. Great hike, steep at first but mellows out. The top knife edge is a little scary but super fun. We saw no one past the saddle part of the trail and had the summit to ourselves on Labor Day! We took a drainage down to get some off trail exploring, I don't recommend this unless you are super good on your feet and have poles. However we did find Brachiopod fossils on the rocks in the drainage! Very cool fossils of ancient sea creatures. Beautiful trail and I can't wait to go back!!!!

Thursday, September 08, 2016

A lovely day hike, beautiful views from the peak. Climbing at the top to reach the peak was a really cool change of pace from the rest of the trail - a nice ending.

Pretty sure there's a geocache at the top. Some kind of hard plastic cylinder anyway.

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Great hike! I didn't think the trail was overgrown. If periodically brushing you legs against leafy bushes isn't your thing, then wear pants I guess. Would definitely do this again.

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Much of the trail is exposed, although the views are breathtaking and the summit is well worth it. I imagine that the aspen will make it particularly beautiful this fall.

Friday, August 19, 2016

One of the most beautiful and rewarding hikes I've ever done. I went on a Saturday morning, slightly overcast, and completed in 5.5 hours at an 8:30am start. Parking at the trailhead is limited, but the earlier you get there it's easy to find parking. While this hike does have a steady incline, it's only really steep as you approach the top. After that, it levels out and the trail runs into a slab of limestone and other conglomerate rock that you have to scramble over. A pair of gardening gloves would have been nice here, but not necessary at all. The rock face added a different sort of challenge and the crawl was really fun! Definitely doing this hike again! Oh, LOT'S of bug spray… don't forget the sunscreen, and if a slightly overgrown trail bothers you, wear pants.

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

It's super steep. The wild flowers are awesome!!

Sunday, July 03, 2016

4 stars because I liked the hike a lot but I have to minus 1 star because this trail right now is WAY overgrown. Not the trails fault I get it, nature and stuff....likes to grow (abundantly apparently) but it really did suck. We started at 8ish am it was 56 degrees going up and on the way down (total hiking time about 5hrs) it was hot and muggy about 87 degrees in the shade. We made it to the very base of the summit and the more experienced hiker wasn't feeling it, at all, so unfortunately we turned around. Which means I have to do this again! Dang. I'll wear pants and have bug spray. Those biting flys are no joke. They mean business and they hurt. Yes the trail is steep. If you can get past the stream and into the aspens your good. I wouldn't say it flattens out but it mellows out. Still inclined, a few switchbacks and then it's mellow until the saddle. Getting to the base is intense. It was for me. Think steep leg burner all over again. Take it slow if you need, watch your footing and breathe.