Burch Hollow Trail

Burch Hollow Trail is a 5.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The trail to the ridge branches from the Pipeline Trail .25 miles from the trail-head. The trail starts as a wide spot cut through the brush, it takes a very sharp turn back to the northwest and is easy to miss. Look carefully for the trail starting up the hill. The trail climbs the east side of the Burch Hollow drainage

The turnoff to the burch hollow trail (which forks off to the left from the pipeline trail) is easy to miss, so keep an eye on your map. The trail is steep and overgrown, so I'd recommend long pants if you can handle the heat -- my legs got a bit scratched up. But the views are tremendous.

Awesome hike! It's well marked, just keep following the signs to elbow/burch hollow. Second half is def. steep, e plowed during the middle of the day. View at the top is amazing and there are fun things to explore and wander around to on e you're up there!

Love this hike! Just have to make sure you take the correct turns from the pipeline trail.
Did it last night. No snow left on the trail!
Towards the end of the hike there is a stretch of some pretty steep switch backs, as you traverse up to the top of the hollow. Beautiful views of gobblers nob, and mt. Raymond behind you. The trail also connects to the trail to hike to grandeur peek.

My pup and I love this trail. It has some steeper switchbacks early on but is really a pretty easy hike. We often do it as an after work, early evening hike. The view from the top is lovely. It's a great quick hike couple mile hike for people and pups.

The gps on AllTrails is a little off, you have to go a little further up the trail before you hit the switchback that takes you up. There's snow at the top which makes it a little slow going, but it's beautiful and at 65 degrees, it was perfect. Great views once you get further up. For sure moderate, not difficult.

I agree this Burch Hollow part of the hike should not be considered easy or moderate. It was a steady, steep uphill climb. I measured we climbed 3.8 miles up and about 2000 feet of elevation gain! I loved to view at the top and was able to get back down the trail quickly. Some overgrowth and sticky burs that caught on my pants....highly recommend wearing pants!

Great hike- I would rate it easy until just over half way when you start really gaining some altitude. Once you're actually on Burch Hollow the path gets very narrow and over grown. We tripped quite a few times on roots and stumps that were covered with the fallen leaves. Having a good sense of balance really came in handy when crossing some of natures obstacles!

Great secret, hiked on a saturday and we were the only people on the hike. Beautiful panoramic view. Hiked in early fall and colors were great. Trail was very overgrown in spots. Great steep hike with awesome views. I would definetly do it again.

7.25.2016 | 5:30-8:30PM Round Trip
Must Have: Long pants, hiking shoes, bug repellent.

I don't know why this trail is rated as moderate and reviewers say it's easy? Pipeline Trail is easy...Burch Hollow is HARD and doesn't look like it has been hiked in months.

Once you branch off from the Pipeline Trail it's steep and extremely overgrown. There are open lengths as well as lengths where the foliage was so dense I couldn't see my feet. Definitely wear long pants and hiking shoes as you're constantly pushing through thigh to waist deep plants (see pics for what my leggings looked like after).

We saw birds but most wildlife was skittering or crunching in the brush which spooked us a few times. Occasionally critters retreated to the side brush as we passed and I suspect it was snakes.

If you look at the map, we turned around shortly after reaching the long straight length. The foliage was SO thick I was nervous we wouldn't find our way back down. We also hiked this in the baking heat of a July evening and regardless of it being fairly shaded, should have taken a gallon of water for myself and a gallon for my GSD.

Moral of the story: Watch your feet and prepare to bushwhack!

Friday, July 01, 2016

Friday, July 01, 2016

Favorite trail of all time! Last fall I took my dog up here every day. Nice for beginner trail running too. Have experienced a few inconsiderate & nasty bikers but generally everyone you run into is great