Burch Creek Trail

Burch Creek Trail is a 2.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Ogden, Utah that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Small trail following Burch Creek up the canyon. First mile of the trail is well maintained, the rest is a primitive trail with numerous stream crossings. The canyon is significantly less popular than other canyons near the city and is usually a quiet hike in the forest. The maintained portion of the trail is only about a mile up the canyon. After that, its a series of best guesses heading east toward the mountains. The trail itself does not obviously loop or connect with other trails and the high amount of boulders discourages bikers and horses. The forest is dense and cool for most of the hike making it a good summer hike. Fall brings pretty leaf changes and its an interesting snow shoe trail in the winter. Nordic skiing the trail after a hard snow is probably doable for the first 1/3 mile. After that, there are too many boulders to get over. During the spring runoff, the creek is flooded and an already difficult to navigate trail becomes nearly impossible. From the trailhead, the trail first starts off with a level/slight incline through the forest crossing a well-made bridge. It then looks like a typical Utah canyon trail, rocky in places but not crazy. As the trail progresses and winds up the canyon, hikers have to climb small boulders and ford small creeks. After about a mile, the trail becomes iffier and iffier disappearing in places. At times you are wondering whether you on the main trail, a game trail or lost. Some say there is a waterfall near the end of the canyon. The final part of the canyon you can climb the hillside to the north and connect with Beus Canyon trail to Mount Ogden.

Great hike in and out. The first half is fairly easy , the last half is quite a workout.

Fun hike and the creek is pretty. It’s a little over grown and there are some rocks oh have to get through. Not really hard though. the hardest thing is I have a 12 year old German wirehair pointer and she had a tougher times with the rock section. Couldn’t tell sometimes where the trail went

The trail is not groomed well enough to reach the waterfall. After 3/4 of a mile the trail disappears up the side of a boulder. When you climb past that boulder the trail narrows and the trail is faint going up the side of the mountain, all along holding onto the trees and branches. We stopped climbing because we worried how we would get down without sliding down the mountain. Realistically this trail should be listed on here as 1 mile long in and out, stopping at the boulder. It's not feasible to climb on the side of the mountain, you get lost easily, circling and second guessing every step once you get to the boulder next to the creek. I would've given this trail one star but because the creek was a nice feature and there were lots of tree for coverage (protection from the sun), I gave it two stars.

Fun hike, at about 3 miles up the trail it is so over grown its hard to see what your stepping on and to see what's ahead. Scrabbling up rocks and crossing the water a few times, extremely fun. Almost stepped on big Rattlesnake that we couldn't see at first due to over growth, but he gave us a good warning. Also ran into a big black snake.

Very overgrown towards the top. Currently at the end of July there are a lot of wasps in the overgrown part. Saw a couple friendly snakes, shaded pretty much the whole way! Small trail with barely anybody on it. Fun to go to for a spur of the moment nature craving.

We did this hike on a hot July evening. It was nice and shaded the entire time and it followed a pretty stream with small waterfalls along the way. The first part of the trail is well maintained. After that we had to do some guess work, a lot of stream crossing, and some climbing over boulders to find the overgrown path, which made for a fun adventure. Beautiful, quiet and shady trail - great for a summer hike!

I went mid week in the beginning of July and only saw three other people on the trail the entire time. It was nice and empty for hiking. The trail crossed the creek a few times but luckily I had seen that on a previous review and came prepared and the water was very refreshing to walk through. I went late morning and the trail was covered by shade the majority of the time. The trail does become pretty overgrown, but it was tall plants growing over the path instead of plants growing right in the middle, so you could still follow the trail easy enough but your legs will get scratched if you're not wearing long pants. Other than that it was a very enjoyable and beautiful hike.

Description says it all. Starts out well maintained and very enjoyable. Quickly becoming overgrown and hard to navigate. Finally the trail disappears and continuing becomes guess work. Quite a few river crossings, so be aware and take things slow. Overall a very beautiful and quiet trail well worth the effort ;)

My 13 year old son and I completed this hike, but only because of other hikers guiding us. The river is way fuller and more rapid than normal, so you do get wet. The bridge does have water going over it, but is steady. I'm a big girl and it held me just fine. There are a couple places that don't almost seem possible because the river is so high and roaring. I would have turned around if not for the experienced hikers in front showing us how to grab onto branches to scale the wall and not fall in the river. We almost brought our old daschund because she loves walks but due to the high water and having to grab things to get across, this is not dog friendly right now. Maybe in August when the water is lower, we will go again.

Really pretty hike. We got lost, I don't know how, and because of that never made it to the waterfall. I am guessing the correct paths are really overgrown. We also saw three snakes. Two crossed out path and one was just chilling on the rock, none of them tried to hurt us, they just did their thing. :) really fun hike.

well marked for the 1st 70%, steady grade but nothing to strenuous. have to come back to find the headwaters of the creek.

Beautiful! This trail follows a really fun river and is surrounded in beautiful green vegetation this time of year(may)

hikes with spikes, not a difficult trail

Wednesday, October 05, 2016

we went as a service project for scouts. We cleaned up the trail by picking up trash. Amazingly however, it was pretty clean! We had kids as young as 5 and grandmas and grandpas! This hike was pretty easy in our opinions!

Friday, July 29, 2016

The shade is excellent, makes it a nice summer hike. I really wish it was better maintained higher up, we only made it a mile before turning around.

Saturday, July 09, 2016

I feel that the information on this trail is inaccurate. According to KSL, trail is only 1.2 miles and only 886' elevation. I'm sure it is the same trail by the map of the trail.

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

Not too bad! Easy enough by myself with 2 kids (3 and 7) and a dog!! Bring the carrier just in case for the littles, all in all, it's a fun trail!!

Wednesday, June 08, 2016

I absolutely love this hike! Its not too hard for beginners but there are some spots where I needed a little help over! Its mostly covered in trees so it's nice because the sun isn't killing you the whole time. :)

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Another one of Ogden's secret trails. This canyon is as good if not better than Bues Canyon. A very enjoyable hike. Like most it does turn into stone stair cases and a little bit of a scramble in places.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

I went a few miles up this one before heading back. You can definitely tell where Weber Pathways stops maintaining this trail, but there is still a fairly well traveled trail continuing on. A few miles in, there was a cool little rock fort right off the trail. Interesting canyon, but it is very secluded and if you go beyond the first mile, chances are you won't see anyone else even on the busiest hiking days.