Burch Creek Trail

Burch Creek Trail is a 2.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Ogden, Utah that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Small trail following Burch Creek up the canyon. First mile of the trail is well maintained, the rest is a primitive trail with numerous stream crossings. The canyon is significantly less popular than other canyons near the city and is usually a quiet hike in the forest. The maintained portion of the trail is only about a mile up the canyon. After that, its a series of best guesses heading east toward the mountains. The trail itself does not obviously loop or connect with other trails and the high amount of boulders discourages bikers and horses. The forest is dense and cool for most of the hike making it a good summer hike. Fall brings pretty leaf changes and its an interesting snow shoe trail in the winter. Nordic skiing the trail after a hard snow is probably doable for the first 1/3 mile. After that, there are too many boulders to get over. During the spring runoff, the creek is flooded and an already difficult to navigate trail becomes nearly impossible. From the trailhead, the trail first starts off with a level/slight incline through the forest crossing a well-made bridge. It then looks like a typical Utah canyon trail, rocky in places but not crazy. As the trail progresses and winds up the canyon, hikers have to climb small boulders and ford small creeks. After about a mile, the trail becomes iffier and iffier disappearing in places. At times you are wondering whether you on the main trail, a game trail or lost. Some say there is a waterfall near the end of the canyon. The final part of the canyon you can climb the hillside to the north and connect with Beus Canyon trail to Mount Ogden.

My 13 year old son and I completed this hike, but only because of other hikers guiding us. The river is way fuller and more rapid than normal, so you do get wet. The bridge does have water going over it, but is steady. I'm a big girl and it held me just fine. There are a couple places that don't almost seem possible because the river is so high and roaring. I would have turned around if not for the experienced hikers in front showing us how to grab onto branches to scale the wall and not fall in the river. We almost brought our old daschund because she loves walks but due to the high water and having to grab things to get across, this is not dog friendly right now. Maybe in August when the water is lower, we will go again.

Really pretty hike. We got lost, I don't know how, and because of that never made it to the waterfall. I am guessing the correct paths are really overgrown. We also saw three snakes. Two crossed out path and one was just chilling on the rock, none of them tried to hurt us, they just did their thing. :) really fun hike.

well marked for the 1st 70%, steady grade but nothing to strenuous. have to come back to find the headwaters of the creek.

Beautiful! This trail follows a really fun river and is surrounded in beautiful green vegetation this time of year(may)

hikes with spikes, not a difficult trail

we went as a service project for scouts. We cleaned up the trail by picking up trash. Amazingly however, it was pretty clean! We had kids as young as 5 and grandmas and grandpas! This hike was pretty easy in our opinions!

The shade is excellent, makes it a nice summer hike. I really wish it was better maintained higher up, we only made it a mile before turning around.

I feel that the information on this trail is inaccurate. According to KSL, trail is only 1.2 miles and only 886' elevation. I'm sure it is the same trail by the map of the trail.

Not too bad! Easy enough by myself with 2 kids (3 and 7) and a dog!! Bring the carrier just in case for the littles, all in all, it's a fun trail!!

Wednesday, June 08, 2016

I absolutely love this hike! Its not too hard for beginners but there are some spots where I needed a little help over! Its mostly covered in trees so it's nice because the sun isn't killing you the whole time. :)