Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Bullet Canyon Trail to Grand Gulch and Kane Gulch

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(33)
Bears Ears National Monument

Bullet Canyon Trail to Grand Gulch and Kane Gulch is a 20 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Mexican Hat, Utah that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until November.

Distance: 20.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,719 feet Route Type: Point to Point

I had a good time, first solo backpacking trip. The actual area was beautiful. However the main trail was mostly over grown and I spent most of my time hiking through the actual gulch itself. A lot of water, sometimes knee deep, great for a filter. Also at times you will be wading through very tall plants. I would recommend bringing gaiters and a lot of bug spray. All in all a very beautiful time.

Spent a few days in the canyon and with all the side trips I did, I logged 40mi over 2 nights / 3 days. As someone else mentioned, there isn’t really a trail. I was mostly walking on animal trails or boot worn paths after the GG/Bullet confluence. Lots of down trees and overgrown vegetation all along the Gulch. At one point, I gave up on finding a dry route, put on my Tevas and just walked in the water which sometimes was knee deep. Challenging hike but beautiful. Wouldn’t recommend it to a beginner. Please remember that all artifacts, rock art, and the ruins themselves are protected by law. It is illegal to remove artifacts, mark or write on the rocks, or damage the ruins. Violations of the Archeological Resources Protection Act can result in stiff penalties, including heavy fines and jail sentences. Visit with respect! Questions? carlos@outdoorlos.com

Sat Apr 20 2019

We did Bullet to the entrance of Grand Gulch. Unfortunately, Grand Gulch was running very high and the trail was just too muddy and sloppy to continue. So we went back up Bullet instead. Bullet is a non-technical hike with some bouldering, but nothing serious. The trail has lots of cairns and is worn well enough that it would be hard to get lost. Water was plentiful this time of year!

There is no real trail here, you’re fording wherever possible so the mileage isn’t exact and it doesn’t account for the side trips to the many ruins. Our group put in around 30 miles over three days with all of the side trips. The water is higher than normal and water proof boots were very helpful at the many crossings, jumping over the creek. Water is very plentiful right now and the springs are reliable. Water shoes might be a good idea but the work to go directly through the wash may be a little more than you bargained for with the deep mud in some spots.

Tue Mar 26 2019

Whoa! Just did this trail in 3 days. Absolutely amazing with the ruins, rocks and warming spring temps. Lots of water.... bring water shoes and gators are nice to. It's a slog through the Grand Gulch from below Kane to the confluence with Bullet. Slow going but worth every second. Plan for cold weather at night in the spring down in the canyon.

Fri Nov 23 2018

We spent three days and two nights backpacking. Many ruins to explore right along the trail or a short ways from the trail. There also many up higher in the cliffs that could also be explored if you are not afraid of heights. You will need better directions to the springs than just the Nat Geo Trails Illustrated map to find the springs. Even with the low December temperatures there were several pools of water that were not frozen. If you go this time of year it's not a bad idea to top off you water when you find a good source. There are a few sections where the trail travels through thick brush and the trail gets very hard to follow. in these sections the main drainage is also blocked by down trees crossing the stream bed. Because of this there are multiple paths to choose from. Some of these path are much better that other path so sometime you have to back track a was to find a better way through. It's also not a bad idea to do a web search to learn about the locations of the major ruins along the way. We saw only 6 day hikers and 5 backpackers in the three days and every one of these were near the Grand Gulch-Bullet Canyon confluence.

Thu Apr 12 2018

This was chalk full of ruins and rock art! The hike itself wasn’t a lot of elevation gain but long. We Stayed overnight 2 nights. Water is scarce even in the spring so make sure you bring a good water filter. I could see this getting really hot in the summer. We got a little lost before Sheiks canyon and if I ever did this again I’d make sure I had a gps that I could run constantly. Seriously amazing to see all the ancient ruins. Also people were few and far between which was great. We only saw two other people on our second day.

Sun Apr 01 2018

An amazing place to experience, with limited people and ample water at the end of March. I detoured off course to spend the first night at the mouth of Green House Canyon, 2.5 miles west from the confluence of Bullet and Grand, before getting water at Green House Spring and then backtracking to complete the route. Four days seemed about right for this trip, in which I logged a total of 38 miles in-canyon with my planned detour and numerous side trips to the Anasazi ruins along the way.

Thu Jul 20 2017

Great trail. Give yourself 4 days to do the trip. There are a ton of side hikes to different ruins that you won't want to miss. Also be sure to fill up water every opportunity you get. We were drinking out of scarcely found puddles the entire trip.

Tue Mar 14 2017

Spent 5 days backpacking with a group! Beautiful area and slow at this time of the season

Mon Mar 13 2017

Incredible primitive area in Utah. Spent 19 days out here backpacking 80 miles thru all of Slickhorn Canyon and Grand Gulch. Spectacular place for absolute solitude.

Wed Dec 31 2014

Amazing and according to my GPS closer to 28 miles from Kane Gulch trailhead to bullet Canyon trailhead.

Fri Jul 06 2012