Learn more

Bull Valley Gorge Trail is a 0.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Cannonville, Utah that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and rock climbing and is best used from May until October.

Length 0.9 mi Elevation gain 75 ft Route type Out & Back

Photos (45)
Recordings (24)
Completed (71)
James C
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jul 05 2020
HikingBridge outGreat!RockyScramble

The trail is slightly harder than advertised. To get down into the canyon, you need to hike west/upstream for about 15 minutes from the trail register/north side, to where the canyon walls are just a few feet high. I almost aborted when I found out there is a 10 ft high dry fall to further climb down into the canyon (how was I going to climb back out?) but I was lucky to spot an almost hidden small ledge/crack about 20 ft back from the dry fall on the north side of the gorge, where previous hikers found a log and jammed it to the bottom of the ledge to get down into the gorge - I almost missed this. The log is relatively easy to get down and back up if you have even mild climbing experience. Once inside the canyon, there are a number of minor chokestones to climb down, and back up. All can be easily climbed over, if you have even mild climbing experiences. There was one really big chokestone almost impossible to get down from, then I spotted a small tunnel at the bottom left of the chokestone to hunch over to the other side. The canyon goes on fairly long and is very scenic - endless photographic opportunities. I spent easily 2 hours there. There was no really dark section that I needed headlamps for. When I was there, the section I hiked was dry and no bugs. After about 1 mile after the car wreck/bridge, the canyon/slot starts opening up. This is where I turned back. But you can keep on going if you want to. As always, check with ranger before heading out to this area and ask for trail/road conditions.

Zhou (Joe) Y.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Jun 06 2020
BugsRockyWashed out

great if you find the log down. the road is closed due to cave in. the stuck truck is a heart wrenching story.

Jack Allen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat May 23 2020
Hiking

Great slot to hike through, I would rate moderate and would recommend knowing what you are doing. It says 0.9 but that is just the trail to get in, took us about 4.5 hours and it a out and back trail. So fun

Greg Heaps
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat May 02 2020
Hiking

The trail was a little too sketchy for our group with little kids when we tried to get into the canyon. Hope to come back when the kids aren’t with us.

View Greg's Recording
Sourangsu Bandyapadhyay
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Sep 01 2019
Hiking

This is a really hard trail. Please use caution when trying to hike this one as you end up getting badly hurt or injured. The views at the end are reall worth it though!

Jennifer Moos
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Jul 01 2019
Hiking

The road was closed just before the gorge. We hiked to the right along the top on the canyon. If you hike long enough, it gets shallow enough that you can hike down in it. Where the road is closed (it’s caved in) is still a mud pit. My boys were willing to go calf deep in mud but not past that so we didn’t go on even though we would have liked to. (We hiked about .8 mile in the slot canyon. I wonder if there is a way to hike from the other direction up the slot canyon. This hike is very close to Willis Creek Narrows. We plan to stop there to wash the mud off the boys legs. It’s nice a cool in the slot canyon. We enjoyed it.

Lant W.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarFri May 17 2019
Hiking

Too much water, didn’t go in

View Lant's Recording
Terry Swartout
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Mar 31 2019
Hiking

Just completed this slot canyon hike today and I have to say this was my favorite canyon hike so far. I will say this is not an easy hike this time of year. The canyon has water in it that is ankle to knee high and is very cold. There is still snow down in the canyon so dress warm. Lastly there are no ropes currently attached in the canyon so getting up and down some of the drops is a challenge. If you are adventurous and looking for a tougher canyon hike this is for you.

Zach Alan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarThu Nov 30 2017
Hiking

this is NOT for the uninitiated, and it is NOT advisable to go alone - generally, groups enter Bull Valley along the trail shown, go down the canyon a ways, then return the way they came - it's a VERY muddy slot canyon that takes a while to dry out in spring, and then there are a lot of flies. DO NOT downclimb anything you cannot get back up (there's a steep dropoff into mud which requires ropes or assistance to get back up, and there may or may not be a rope there), and if you go alone you could easily get stuck down there. plan to get very dirty, tell someone where you are going, and always ask re conditions at the Visitor Center in Cannonville first

James Z
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Sep 03 2017
Hiking

This is remote, but definitely worth the drive. You walk along the gorge until it is shallow enough to drop in, then back to the road in the canyon, then retrace your way back so total distance is closer to 2.5 miles. It is flat, but rated difficult I guess because there area couple of ledges to climb up. There are ropes in place to help you climb up the 10 foot ledge. This is a beautiful canyon that you will likely be all alone, so bring company. There was no water present on 9/4.

Daigo Yamamura
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jul 22 2016

Amazing gorge.

Patrick Harris
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu May 21 2015
Hiking

I recommend to all that hike this trail - turn around after the narrows & go back the way you came. This is not an easy to find loop. We got lost & spent the night in the gorge. We hiked sun up to sun down 2 days in a row & got very lucky on day 2. We came out at Willis Creek at 9pm & walked another hour & a half to our vehicle. There was a Deputy at my Jeep. He told us about 4 to six people get lost every month & they usually airlift them out.

Lynn Bonelli
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Apr 28 2015
Hiking

I'm fairly new to hiking slots but after completing a few in now in Southern Utah I have to say that this is my favorite so far. From the parking area hike on the right side of the canyon (sign in to the log book) for about 1 mile until the floor of the slots rise and you can easily climb or step down into the slot. Then start hiking back up toward the bridge. Going into the canyon too soon means you'll miss a good section of the slots. There were very few obstacles during our hike (April 2015) and the few boulders blocking the passages were easily overcome. No ropes needed but the canyon is constantly changing so be prepared. We hiked about 2 miles through the canon before it started to snow on us so we turned around and retraced our steps...which were just as spectacular a second time. Highly recommend this slot!

Maria Cline
View Maria's Recording
Matt Strong
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu May 28 2020
View Matt's Recording
Andrew Persky
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon May 25 2020
View Andrew's Recording
Jefferson West
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri May 15 2020
View Jefferson's Recording
Michael Richards
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat May 02 2020
View Michael's Recording
jaime mcghie
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri May 01 2020
View jaime's Recording
Abigail Berthiaume
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Apr 30 2020
View Abigail's Recording
Kickingandscreaming C.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Apr 29 2020
View Kickingandscreaming's Recording
Ryan Driscoll
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Sep 17 2019
View Ryan's Recording
Frank S.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat Sep 14 2019
View Frank's Recording
Monte Wilson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Aug 16 2019
View Monte's Recording
Chelsea Adams
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jun 07 2019
View Chelsea's Recording