Buffalo Point Trail

Buffalo Point Trail is a 1.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Syracuse, Utah that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, birding, horses, and road biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

Provides view of The Great Salt Lake and Antelope Island. Trail gives great view of island wildlife. Bison, owls, antelope, and deer can be seen from this trail. park benches are located along the trail side. Trail is located at the Northwest Quadrant of the Island. Provides view of The Great Salt Lake and Antelope Island. Trail gives great view of island wildlife. Bison, owls, antelope, and deer can be seen from this trail. park benches are located along the trail side.

Beautiful view for such a short hike! Completely silent up top. Flies weren't an issue for us.

Nice quick hike to lookout for awesome views of lake and surrounding mountains.

Quick hike. Great breeze made it nice in the heat. Kids had fun at the top.

My kids loved this! We did it in early spring before all the bugs and it was perfect.

Short climb to a great view of salt lake. There were plenty of bugs so use bug spray.

Everything was awesome except the bugs.

Great hike. Great views. Bugs were bad.

Aside from the annoying bugs, this hike offers stunning 360 views of the area. You will think you were in the rolling hills of Ireland. Totally worth the effort.

Easy easy!! Great for kids with a nice view at the end. Go before all the gnats come out!

I hiked this trail with my husband and our friend Erin on April 15.

This trail is moderately steep, but very short, so it didn't take long to reach the top. The views at the top were beautiful.... the reddish-orange boulders were fun to climb on and allowed us to get a better view of the lake.

We spent at least as much time exploring the top area as we did hiking to get there. Great views of the lake and mountains. Only drawbacks were that the sun didn't come out for us, and it was a bit crowded.

This is a fun trail. The distance mentioned as 1.3 seems misleading. From the parking lot to the end of the trail for me was only .4 or .5 one way, so both ways may be a mile or less. But, I kept going after the trail end, down the rocky hill over to the second rocky hill and then took a loop back to the parking lot. Finding the trail until the top of the first hill was easy, but then as there are only boulders going down the hill and it seems not many people go down the trail here, it's like the trail disappears. Even without the app or gpx map, it's easy to find your way down without getting lost if you know the general direction of landmarks in the park as there are no trees you can see far in almost all directions. But as there are no trees, keep in mind the sun can get intense if it's out. Also, winter is an ideal time to come to miss the onslaught of bugs! My thought was to walk from rock mound 1 to rock mound 2, then take the trail toward the campground then the second right trail that led back to the main road, but the second right turn trail that shows on the alltrail app did not seem to be there... I did not want to make my own trail, so I went back to the first trail. This trail was not also accurate as compared to the all trails app, but that was ok. I got to see a small herd of antelope on the way back.

I think this was a fun trail for climbing through rocks and boulders. Lots of fun rocks to look at. I spent a lot of time just doing that. Also, as I went on Presidents Day weekend, I could see families love this trail as kids really enjoy climbing up and on the rocks.

this is a really really beautiful hike. loved it. no snow in February... so awesome!

We actually hiked out and around buffalo point from the White Rock Bay campground parking lot to the Bridger Bay campground and then up the side of the mountain where we came up on buffalo point from the West and then down to the buffalo point parking lot. awesome hike with incredible scenery! The rocks at the top of buffalo point are awesome to climb on too.

Great short trail. Amazing views at the top.

Saturday, June 17, 2017

Short- good view

Tuesday, June 06, 2017

Loved this trail. It's very short, but the views are spectacular. Exploring Antelope Island Park was amazing, and this view was a big part of that!

Sunday, June 04, 2017

We did this trail at night. Wonderful views of the lake and the night sky. The moon was not full, but helped. Easy, but the slight rockiness made a flashlight a must.

Tuesday, May 02, 2017

Beautiful view of the salt lakes on one side and the Wasatch mountains on the other. Very easy. Walked up with two toddlers on our back. One friend was pregnant and made it to the top.

Be sure to take the park employees serious when they say watch out for bugs. You could see vortex pillars of insects swarming around the road. Looked like a scene from Exodus. Can't wait to visit again when the bugs aren't so bad.

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Beautiful ! Biting bugs only complaint

Monday, October 17, 2016

Nothing special. Pretty easy hike, I do like the views of the west side of the lake and there are some cool rock formations on top.

Monday, September 19, 2016

;)

Thursday, September 15, 2016

Good hike :-)

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Great views along this trail. Easy enough for the whole family, but opportunities for scrambling at the end for the more adventurous.

Wednesday, July 06, 2016

Great views from the top of the hill, great for kids!

Friday, January 22, 2016

This is a super easy and short hike. I went with my 7, 5, and 2 year old and they all hiked up by themselves. There are several benches that are easily accessible to resting if needed.

We were lucky enough to be able to see a group of buffalo the entire way up. Spectacular views from the top. We did this hike in late January and couldn't have asked for a more beautiful view with the mountains capped with snow.

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Exceptionally beautiful short trail with spectacular views of the Great Salt Lake and mountainside.

Wednesday, September 09, 2015

The view from the top provides beautiful sunrise and sunsets. I've seen bison just about every time I've gone to this trail. It's pretty buggy in the summer, but breezy/windy days clear the bugs quickly.

Friday, August 07, 2015

Closer to 1 mile round trip. Little steep in some parts, but very manageable. Awesome views. No shade on this exposed trail. Few benches along the way and some wildlife. Saw lizards and a rabbit. Cool photo ops at top.

Saturday, July 25, 2015

Probably more of a moderate hike if you are bringing kids along. No real shade, so early morning is best. Impressive views of the Great Salt Lake that were worth both the hike and the park admission. Plenty of wildlife visible on or near the trail including lizards, rabbits, various birds, and bison.

Thursday, May 28, 2015

How to Get There: Take I-15 and take the Antelope Drive exit and follow the signs for Antelope Island. Once on the island, follow the road to the right. When you come to a sign for Bridger Bay Campground,take a slight left. Follow the sign for Buffalo Point. The beginning of the trail is right behind the building halfway up the hill.

This was a very picturesque hike. The views of the entire valley are amazing! I rated this hike a 4 because it was a little difficult to find (hence the directions) and because there were a lot of bugs. While they didn't bother me, they drove my 7 year old crazy. This beginning of this trail is a little steep, but my 4 and 7 year old made it to the top pretty well. We drove on pretty much every road on the island and I couldn't believe how big it was. A great hike, I'm excited to try some of the other ones on the island.