Buffalo Peak Trail

Buffalo Peak Trail is a 0.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Provo, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Users have reported that the road leading to the trailhead is closed winter and spring due to snow.

We looked all over Utah valley area trying to find a good hike for our small family reunion—something young kids, grandparents and pregnant women could do but also something that outdoor enthusiasts and avid hikers would enjoy. This hike was perfect. The drive is scenic and beautiful. The trail is lovely, albeit short, with meadows and (sometimes) flowers and spectacular views right off the path. The view right before the last ascent of the hike is lovely, and those who felt unable to climb the last bit felt satisfied to stay there. The views at the top are splendid though, and it’s not a long climb up the steep part. We enjoyed this trail so much we’ve been back twice since.

Great easy hike with incredible views. Our 3yo hiked the whole way no problem.

Beautiful! 5 and 6 year old did it with no problem.

Stunning! Definitely worth going at sunset.

I went with my 9 and 7 year olds. It’s an easy hike, even for kids except the last hill which is pretty steep and covered in rocks. My kids were still able to do it without problem, but it was slower on the way down because of the rocks. The trail head was hard to find. We tried our gps which took us to the wrong place, but then we opened up this app and we’re able to figure out where to go from there. The flowers were absolutely beautiful and the view was amazing! It’s a fantastic short hike.

Difficult to find the real trailhead as there are a couple of spots to stop before the real place that eventually join the trail after long walks through open fields. The best stop will have a fire prevention sign immediately on the left and a fence to crawl under on the right.

Beware of rattlesnakes as we saw one right on the edge of the trail halfway to top. It gave us enough warning so I could snatch my 5 year old out of the way but just be alert for them, as always in Utah.

Finally made it to the peak with Hike it Baby Utah County! Such a fun trail, kid friendly. We had a 2.5 yr old who hiked all the way to the top with his mom's help as it gets real steep at the end. Beautiful wild flowers our right now.

Pretty easy hike, although the hike up to the peak was a little rocky and a tad more difficult than I was expecting but it was still relatively easy! Beautiful views and incredibly pretty wildflowers along the trail!

lots of fun. breathtaking views. good trail.

Short but an excellent view. A little hard to find the trailhead- there were two or three times before the actual start that we thought was the beginning. It really is about a 30 minute drive up the road.

The road is open and there was no snow!

Gorgeous. We went up in the afternoon and stayed while the sun set. It's a very short hike, great for dogs!

A really pretty hike with incredible views! It was really easy in my opinion.

Road still closed, but go soon to see the wild flowers!

ROAD CLOSED FOR WINTER

Very beautiful hike and great for kids!

I am the kind of person that considers a hike to be walking on a paved path beside a water bed. So this was going out of my comfort zone. I’m not in shape, and I am anemic so hiking is difficult for me.

The trail was easy the whole way until the last 100 feet or so. I stopped maybe 5-6 times to catch my breath before I made it to the top...so if I can do it you can too!

The scenery was gorgeous, views were beautiful. You won’t be disappointed. I noticed that the very top didn’t have much a view though...the best point is the landing right before the last climb. That’s actually where you’ll find the best view.

We drove up to the trail in our Jetta and didn’t pop a tire so if you are going in a car just take it slow and you should be fine.

Loved doing this hike at sunset!

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Short hike and great views of Provo and the surrounding area. The dirt road getting up to the trail is rough, so make sure whatever you're driving can handle the bumpy dirt road.

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Beautiful trail and views! Short easy hike, great if your short on time. The road getting there is a dirt road and is quite bumpy so make sure your car can handle it

Sunday, July 09, 2017

It was a good trail, very easy, not hard at all. If it was longer, it'd have been challenging. You should try to time the hike so you summit at sunset, otherwise it isn't that pretty. I also don't like that it overlooks the city which is kind of the opposite of what I want to see on a hike.

Friday, July 07, 2017

Super fun, super short trail with some great scenic views. The last little bit is the hardest, but it doesn't last long. We went before sunrise and got some beautiful pictures to the south of the sunrise.

Friday, July 07, 2017

The best view for the shortest amount of hike time...it was awesome

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Amazing view from the top. Never realized a peak in Utah county provided a view of Utah Lake and Salt Lake both. Awesome sunset!

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

great for kids! a bit steep at the end climb for 3 year old but with a hand to hold she made it! views were beautiful!

Friday, June 23, 2017

Beautiful hike that is not difficult but has many wildflowers, overlooks, and a beautiful view at the top. There are several ways to get to the top so having this AllTrails app handy helped with navigation. We went last Saturday mid-morning and passed probably seven other small groups. We also saw a dead rattlesnake on the path and so were glad we wore long pants. Excellent weather this time of year and some shade cover. We saw a few little kids (ages 5 or 6) on the summit with us and they seemed to do great!

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Saturday, June 10, 2017

This hike was very easy! Like said in other reviews the last stretch is completely an incline uphill! But the views on this hike make up for it!!! The drive up is longer than the hike and a dirt road leads the way for about 3 miles (for car care).

Friday, June 09, 2017

Really nice, short summit hike. I enjoyed the views the entire little way. Yes it got a tad steep at the end on loose rock, but we did it. And we had a 4 year old and a 2 year old. The kids loved it. We went midday in June and it was breezy and we didn't have bug problems

Road was fine, I could have driven a smart car up it!