Broken Arch Trail

Broken Arch Trail is a 1.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Moab, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 1.7 miles Elevation Gain: 167 feet Route Type: Loop

A short pleasant hike through the sand and sage of Arches NP This is a pleasant hike through the basin between sandstone upthrusts to another of Arches NP's pretty arches. This Arch can also be reached from the Devils Garden campground. Good views of the surrounding upthrusts of sandstone and of the desert flora and fauna.

This might be my favorite arch... it's a very hot tail but the payoff is amazing.

sand dune arch shares a parking lot with broken arch. sand dune arch is cool. broken arch is just another arch. it has a good view from the back end but don't continue down that trail to tapestry arch. unless you want to. then you should. but the trail is poorly marked so don't get lost.

leisurely walk. not difficult and a little boring but the arch is nice and i like the wildflowers

We continued on to from sand dune, which made it long enough to bring water and a snack. The varied terrain is worth all 5 stars, the ability to do portions is worthy of note. I am not sure if I ever actually saw broken arch. I think I did, but it didn't look broken to me...

Awesome! Great climbing rocks, can go off trail. Cool arch! Kya (daughter)

Great short hike for anyone. The arch is amazing, check it out. We took our 2 year old after visiting nearby Sand Dune arch (easy walk from this one).

Because it’s just before devils garden I feel that people skip over it, but I hiked this trail during the golden hour and everything was glowing while you walked across the flat and the views through the arch on all sides were amazing. Nothing terribly difficult but the trail continuing to tapestry arch is not marked vey well.

Overlooked but easy and beautiful!

Great arches. But be prepared for walking through a bit of sand and there is very little shade on the trail. Bring water.

Thursday, July 05, 2018

Nice hike but gotta walk through arch to continue to next arch pay attention to signs...take plenty of water

Friday, June 15, 2018

Loved it!!

Friday, May 04, 2018

So awesome. Hike it counterclockwise. Start at campsite 51.

Friday, May 04, 2018

Fantastic loop hike for families.... some nice, easy, level places, and also some scrambling - on rocks, and going through the arch. I suggest you start at campsite 51, and not necessarily at the main trail head. Look for rock stacks to keep you on track. We were able to do it with our kids: 7, 10, 15, and 17. I probably wouldn’t attempt it with much younger kids. Go in the morning and you’ll almost have the trail to yourself. :)

Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Pleasant, Broken Arch was pretty. Very scenic views of the La Sal mountains. Tapestry Arch was less interesting.

Sunday, March 11, 2018

Easy quick hike

Thursday, October 26, 2017

Like this hike for a simple young family hike. Arch is more amazing than pics depict

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Really easy hike with great views. Nowhere near the crowds that were at other trails like Delicate Arch. My personal favorite in the park.

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Easy and beautiful trail

Sunday, June 04, 2017

I enjoyed this hike. A lot of sand, so be ready to dump your hiking boots at the end of the trek. I recommend LOTS of water. You spend more time in the open sun.

Friday, May 05, 2017

Do the whole trail, including Tapestry Arch, the last part does require lots of rock scrambling

Tuesday, May 02, 2017

This is an easy hike. If you go through the arch it is kind of tricky for some people who are afraid to climb up rocks. If you continue through the arch, you can make your way to the Tapestry arch. It is beautiful.

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Nice loop trail. Scenery far more than just the arch.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Beautiful views along the way.

Wednesday, February 01, 2017

Very flat easy walk from the sand dunes parking lot. It was cold and muddy in January, lots of ice and snow that made mud pits along the way. The Arch is beautiful and sneaks up on you! Not hard to climb into, but be careful- the dead tree "step" is slick from everyone stepping on it.

Monday, September 05, 2016

We spent two days recently exploring Arches NP. Of all the hikes we did, this was our favorite. With two 5 year olds and a 3 year old, most of the other hikes we did were short (sand dune arch, balanced rock) Broken arch felt most secluded and wild. The first half or so of the hike is easy going, pretty much level with some spectacular views of the (La Sal?) mountains in the distance. Cairns mark the path as the trails crosses bare sandstone. Juniper trees often intersect the trail for shade if needed. Once at the arch, take a rest and soak in the amazing geological formation above you. This may be the only easily accessible arch in the park you may have to yourself. The trail continues through the art and instead of a mostly flat trail, a fair amount of "climbing" is needed as you get close and personal with the sandstone. I don't mean this to sound difficult. I had our 3 year old in a carrier on my back and the five year olds managed just fine with only a little help. Broken Arch trail was short enough for the little ones, yet wild enough to get a real experience of this unique landscape. To paraphrase Abbey, " you will get more out of one mile on foot than 100 miles in a vehicle on paved roads".

Monday, July 18, 2016