Broken Arch Trail

Broken Arch Trail is a 1.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Moab, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

A short pleasant hike through the sand and sage of Arches NP This is a pleasant hike through the basin between sandstone upthrusts to another of Arches NP's pretty arches. This Arch can also be reached from the Devils Garden campground. Good views of the surrounding upthrusts of sandstone and of the desert flora and fauna.

Do the whole trail, including Tapestry Arch, the last part does require lots of rock scrambling

This is an easy hike. If you go through the arch it is kind of tricky for some people who are afraid to climb up rocks. If you continue through the arch, you can make your way to the Tapestry arch. It is beautiful.

Nice loop trail. Scenery far more than just the arch.

Beautiful views along the way.

Very flat easy walk from the sand dunes parking lot. It was cold and muddy in January, lots of ice and snow that made mud pits along the way. The Arch is beautiful and sneaks up on you! Not hard to climb into, but be careful- the dead tree "step" is slick from everyone stepping on it.

We spent two days recently exploring Arches NP. Of all the hikes we did, this was our favorite. With two 5 year olds and a 3 year old, most of the other hikes we did were short (sand dune arch, balanced rock) Broken arch felt most secluded and wild. The first half or so of the hike is easy going, pretty much level with some spectacular views of the (La Sal?) mountains in the distance. Cairns mark the path as the trails crosses bare sandstone. Juniper trees often intersect the trail for shade if needed. Once at the arch, take a rest and soak in the amazing geological formation above you. This may be the only easily accessible arch in the park you may have to yourself. The trail continues through the art and instead of a mostly flat trail, a fair amount of "climbing" is needed as you get close and personal with the sandstone. I don't mean this to sound difficult. I had our 3 year old in a carrier on my back and the five year olds managed just fine with only a little help. Broken Arch trail was short enough for the little ones, yet wild enough to get a real experience of this unique landscape. To paraphrase Abbey, " you will get more out of one mile on foot than 100 miles in a vehicle on paved roads".

awesome

We started and ended at Sand Dune Arch trailhead. Last fall it wasn't too busy until the weekend when I took my other kids back and there were people everywhere trying to climb on top (which is illegal!) Sad to see such dangerous and thoughtless behavior. If you want to climb on arches please go to McDonalds so you don't destroy something that's been forming for millions of years.

Great hike and very easy out to broken arch! We did it right before sunset and it was beautiful.

Saturday, March 19, 2016

Sunday, February 28, 2016

nice easy hike. I saw my first wild life while out on the trail, some deer. i combined this hike with sand arch and tapestry arch

Monday, February 01, 2016

Beautiful easy walk, it was early August, but there was a perfect breeze. The park was pretty busy that day, anywhere else we went to was crowded except this trail, as soon as we got to the broken arch, my fiancé at the time proposed, and about 1 minute later we saw a hiker who took our photo! So I have to rate this with 5 stars :)

Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Broken arch was pretty cool to me. One of the spurs to take while in Devil's Garden trail.