Broads Fork Twin Peaks

Broads Fork Twin Peaks is a 8.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Canyon Enterprises, Utah that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from June until September.

These mountains have been calling to me every day since moving to UT. Today I conquered them. I hit the trail solo at 5:30am (2 hours before sunrise) knowing the hike would take 10-14 hours out & back. Definitely unnerving venturing into pitch black woods alone! I carried a Bear Bell and Bear Spray for piece of mind. About 1.5 miles in I encountered 3 moose about 20 yds in front me. The bull grunted at me a few times so I rang the crap out of my bell and yelled 'Yah!!' several times until they moved away. I reached the meadow at the base of the saddle at day break. There I saw three more moose! Now the saddle...oh that [beeping] saddle! It's a boulder field that is quite steep. On top of that suck factor, it was covered with snow that would give way under foot. I did see nine mountain goats on the east ridge while resting & swearing though. The saddle took almost 2 hours before I reached the ridge line. From there it was smooth sailing from peak to peak. Sure it's all rock scrambling, but it's better than the snow covered boulders in the [beeping] saddle! Be prepared for the altitude. Above 10k feet I had to rest in very regular intervals to catch my breath. But once you reach the Twin Peaks...oh my. The views are absolutely stunning!! Well worth the effort!! All told it took me 12.5 hours including 1 hour resting on the summit.