Broads Fork Twin Peaks

Broads Fork Twin Peaks is a 10.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Canyon Enterprises, Utah that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from June until September.

Excellent trail! I got an early start on it last weekend (October 27) and it was still in great shape. Some icy spots due to freezing temps overnight, but largely clear all the way up to the lake. I decided to follow the trail to the right in order to come up on to the peaks from the west but there was far too much snow to safely summit without proper tools. The ascent is mostly scree and at this point, it's completely covered in snow so it's incredibly difficult to find the trail. If you plan on hiking this trail to the lake, be sure to bring poles and traction.

Much less traveled, trail is great until the meadow then gradually fades and splits numerous times. General rule: stay LEFT on the way up! Stay LEFT of the large stand of 5-10' tall pines on the lower part of the scree field. Look for the cairns. Long slog up the scree slope with loose footing in places and then some easy scrambling. I recommend NOT going alone on this one, and first doing Timp, Pfeifferhorn, Sundial Peak before attempting this difficult climb.

Great hike lost the trail a few times and it got a bit sketchy. Its a butt kicker but so worth it, views were amazing. Reached the first peak in 4 hours takes about 10-15 minutes to get to the west peak. Took about 15 minute lunch then headed back. Total time 8 hours 10 minutes.

This was a fun hike but there are some pretty dangerous parts. It is important to take it slowly and make sure that you are sure of your footing. Definitely not for beginners.

Started on the trail at 10am. Made it to the west peak just before 3pm. I liked it a lot but there were a few things that happened that dampened the experience, like running in to a rattlesnake and falling into some thorny plants. A good deal of the way up, I ended up going the wrong way. It was like an uphill river bed but without any water. I went up a ways before I was able to see the actual path was way over to my left. I decided to keep on going instead of backtracking. As I wasn’t able to go up anymore I scrabbled left until I finally joined back with the trail. Ended up right before the big uphill rock field that is before the ridge. There is no definitive path from there on though. There was a couple ways to get up on the ridge. Once you go along the ridge, the worst part is right before you get to the first peak. You can no longer go along the top of the ridge and have to go down on the south side a bit where you go up this crevice like chute. It’s doable, but is scary. You slip and that could be the end of you. On the way back, I decided to avoid going back down that. Instead went more on top of the ridge. Which yielded a part that I had to vertically rock climb down about fifteen feet. And with the wind pounding on me, it was about equally as scary but still think I took the lesser of two evils. Once you climb to the first peak and until the West peak, there isn’t anything that bad and only takes about ten minutes from the east to west peak. Amazing views and definitely worth it, but you need to be in shape and experienced or you could very easily run into trouble near the top. It’s been a few days and I’m still pulling out some thorns in my hand from falling on to those thorny plants you see in abundance higher up. Be careful of those.

There are several wasp nets on the trail after the first elevation cross the creek of the 'Broads fork'. Two members of our group were attacked by the wasp. It's better to use the right trail to cross the creek after the 'Broads fork'(might has one not shown at ALLTRAILS APP). The most impression is that you need hiking on different kind of rocks.

Absolutely unforgettable!!

One of the hardest wasatch front peaks. We started from the S-curve parking lot up BCC. Actual mileage was around 10.5 with 5600 feet of gain. Not sure where All Trails measures from, but these were the metrics from my strava app. Most of the hike is steep. It's easy to lose the trail in the meadow section below the first ridge. We stayed left and found it to be the easiest route. I lost it on the way down and had to bushwack by way through. Cost me an hour. The worst part of the trail is a rocky chute about one mile long before the first ridge. It's loose and very steep. This section slowed us down more than any. From the first ridge you go right up towards East Twin. There is an exposed scramble. Not hard, but don't make any mistakes. After the scramble there's one more semi-steep section to the peak. West Twin offers the best views and is only a quick 15 min scramble from East. The entire hike took 7.5 hours but that includes 45 min on the summit and getting lost for an hour on the way down. You might want to mark the trail so you can find it on your way down after the rocky chute.

Great hike, tough towards the last saddle. Traverse is moderate and views are amazing.

Amazing! Definitely a challenge, but worth it! Needed to allow myself more time to descend (once again) . . .Thank God I was able to navigate down a passable path on the way down ... _/|\_

Great hike.

What a beautiful hike! I did it every year for five years, several years ago. It was best in mid-March because there was a hard crust of snow covering the scree. We cramponed up the snow in short order.

Saturday, October 28, 2017

These mountains have been calling to me every day since moving to UT. Today I conquered them. I hit the trail solo at 5:30am (2 hours before sunrise) knowing the hike would take 10-14 hours out & back. Definitely unnerving venturing into pitch black woods alone! I carried a Bear Bell and Bear Spray for piece of mind. About 1.5 miles in I encountered 3 moose about 20 yds in front me. The bull grunted at me a few times so I rang the crap out of my bell and yelled 'Yah!!' several times until they moved away. I reached the meadow at the base of the saddle at day break. There I saw three more moose! Now the saddle...oh that [beeping] saddle! It's a boulder field that is quite steep. On top of that suck factor, it was covered with snow that would give way under foot. I did see nine mountain goats on the east ridge while resting & swearing though. The saddle took almost 2 hours before I reached the ridge line. From there it was smooth sailing from peak to peak. Sure it's all rock scrambling, but it's better than the snow covered boulders in the [beeping] saddle! Be prepared for the altitude. Above 10k feet I had to rest in very regular intervals to catch my breath. But once you reach the Twin Peaks...oh my. The views are absolutely stunning!! Well worth the effort!! All told it took me 12.5 hours including 1 hour resting on the summit.

recorded Twin Peak Broads Fork