Learn more

Broads Fork Trail is a 4.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 4.5 miles Elevation Gain: 2,109 feet Route Type: Out & Back

cave

Please Note: No dogs allowed. This lake is part of the protected Big Cottonwood Canyon watershed, so swimming in any lake or river is prohibited. This is a beautiful, steep trail following a raging creek in the spring. It has relatively little traffic, and lots of shade relative to many Salt Lake hikes. The trail ends near a pond in a high valley.

So for the low score, but I probably should note this here. The part to the summit is very hard. I made the poor choice of not going down that way and instead try to go down the Ferguson canyon route. Instead, went down the Deaf Smith canyon. Long story short, called search and rescue to monitor me and my companion going out. We didn’t have any lights and going down that canyon was taking long. Nearly made it to the end, a pair of police officers hiked up for about half an hour with flashlights and found us. Lesson learned! I think I’m going to do the more heavily trafficked trails from now on, after taking a break from hiking. When I hike again, water, food, light source, gps, fire starter, and emergency blanket.

Great trail, with alternating steep and more moderate sections. Was definitely difficult going up. The breeze off the waterfall/river about halfway up was welcome. Pretty shaded until the top. Beautiful views.

icy

Made it to the summit with my group and the last mile or so is a pretty technical scramble. I'd say a class 4. Come prepared with hiking poles and crampons or microspikes. View is beautiful though once you're on top. Nothing quite like it.

Beautiful meadow that was worth the steep climb.

Stellar hike. Beautiful scenery the entire way. Expected incline for 2100 elevation gain. Fairly gradual. Not strenuous, but not easy. We only saw 3-4 other groups the entire hike. This is a good hike before trying Lake Blanche for the first time.

great!

This is my favorite summer hike. Absolutely beautiful.

pretty hike, the waterfall was nice! pretty steep, my hubby has knee issues and it was rough. definitely a good workout!

Pretty, but very steep. Where AllTrails says the trail ends isn’t the prettiest part. The waterfall about half way up is definitely worth it though so if I do it again I’ll probably just go up til that point.

a very good hike overall was not impressed at the end zone. halfway through when you cross the bridge the waterfall is probably the best part if you're just there for the experience I would recommend stopping halfway. otherwise it is very Rocky and very uphill.

My 5 year old son finish it by himself, I was impressed. Easy for him to climb up, but very rocky to get down.

This trail is awful! Please don’t come here. Just keep clogging up the lake Blanche trail with all the other destination seeking pedestrians and leave this trail for hikers that actually enjoy the journey.

Steep much of the way with pockets of easier ground to help you recover. It was a fabulous, beautiful hike today!

There’s just a few people on this trail (today) only 7 including us. It’s less popular than the lake Blanche trail ( trailheads are in the same parking lot). This trail is steep, rocky, narrow and over grown. On the way up I saw a male moose sit next to the trail. I was very glad to make it to the top. Amazing views up there . Really worth it!!!

A decidedly difficult but rewarding trail. No rock climbs, but definitely steep in spots, and overall a very good exercise. If you get a parking spot in the lot, get a lottery ticket, however there is plenty of parking along the road.

Marked as hard trail to hike but my 6 years old did non-stop back and forth... it’s on my list to do it again.

A very pretty moderately-difficult hike up to the bowl! Everything is so green. I was worried it was going to be insanely busy given I had to park about half a mile away from the parking lot, but everyone was going to Blanche - only passed a few people!

I did this trail on a Saturday at 3:00pm and only passed about 6 people during the entire out and back so it made it very peaceful to be so alone. I would rate this as moderately hard. It is steep to start, than levels off for about 10 mins than becomes steep again and levels off again and is like that the whole way up. So there are good spots on the way up to catch your breath. This does not go to a peak but instead you finish at the bottom of a bowl which I was first slightly disappointed with but than I saw him! A big beautiful moose eating away at the plants. I watched him for about 20 minutes. The white bark trees on the way up are also very picturesque and the waterfalls were rushing!!

icy

That’s a steep trail, and I wondered where it was going. However, when I turned the corner and saw the entire bowl with snow capped peaks, I wondered no more. Amazing view.

It’s been a while since I have done a big hike like this so it definitely kicked my butt. It’s pretty much constant incline, rocky with very little flat trail to give you a break however, the views are beautiful, the waterfall was raging, and the peaks at the top make it worthwhile. It’s not as busy as the lake Blanche trail, my wife and I ran into 2 runners, a couple groups of older folks and that was pretty much it, so it was like having the whole mountain to ourselves.

good, difficult trail. very few people on Saturday morning. saw a young male moose ~.5 miles from the top. no dogs, great. 4/5