Box Elder Peak Trail

Box Elder Peak Trail is a 17.7 kilometer lightly trafficked loop trail located near Alpine, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 17.7 km Elevation Gain: 1,467 m Route Type: Loop

Only went 2.5 miles up due to time constraints, wish I could have gone to the saddle because the weather was amazing. The trail starts at granite flat campground but you can also start from the road to silver lake and hop on a connecting trail. It’s a gorgeous trail with some really cool views to the south and down into the canyon on the east side of Box Elder peak. There is a creek that runs nearby for the first mile or so of the hike. There’s a beautiful grouping of ponds near the beginning of the hike, a very peaceful area. I’m sure it’s a key gathering place for elk and deer (maybe moose too) during certain seasons. Only saw 2 people on the trail. I’m excited to do this hike again and go further!

icy

Me and my sister packed our bags expecting to freeze today and the weather was actually fantastic. The trail was pretty clear of snow up until the main ascent. At the base we put on crampons and gaiters and hit the summit. The snow was a few inches deep and passable without snow shoes. I would recommend spikes and trekking poles but you can still summit without them at least till it snows again and while our boot pack exists. The whole hike you're exposed to the sun so pack sunblock.

Completed this hike yesterday and it was a challenging hike, but well worth it. Views were amazing, especially with the fall colors changing. Trail conditions were fine. All trails doesn't show the full loop route, but we left and ended at Granite Flats campground going counter-clockwise.

Hell Yeah!!!!! Worth every step....... and there are several thousand of them. The ridge got sketchy when the wind was blowing at 30+ mph. And it was plenty cold, but not much beats a great summit hike in the fall. It was like walking through candy land on the way down. Trees are just starting to turn. Reality is, if you’re looking at hikes like this, you know what it takes and what you’re getting into. Me - I don’t care per se about the up and down. It’s the reward that makes it all worth the effort

i did this solo today, but as a loop. to the peak as shown on route map, then down the south ridge (very steep and loose rocky) to connect with the box elder trail. i did not bring a gps so i cant vouch for the distance, but car-to-car was 7.5 hours, and my legs feel quite toasty. I suspect it is about 2 miles more than an out-and-back and a good amount more gain. the box elder trail is overgrown in many spots; suggest wearing long pants (i didn't and my legs are scratched up). the views are super, especially of timp, utah lake, lone peak, pfeifferhorn, red baldy. but the peak was swarmed with flying ants and other ants that bite. very unpleasant; i stayed for only about 5 mins before they ran me off.

Did this today by myself. Hiked up from the north side on trail 43, starting at the Granite Creek Campground Trailhead. The trail follows the ridge and gets pretty steep. Well worth the great views from the top, particularly of the backside of Timp. I hiked down the south side of the summit, which has a lot of loose rock, and is even steeper than the ridge that I hiked up on the north side. I followed the Box Elder Trail back to the trailhead. The entire loop is more like 12 miles, not 11 miles.

Steep trail without a lot of reward. No great views, no water, nothing really outstanding.

What an epic hike! Definitely not for the faint of heart, this butt burner has a climb that does not quit, a few cliff edge scrambles, and loose edges sliding into oblivion. You’ll be rewarded by non stop scenery with a truly awesome view over Utah lake and next door neighbor Timp. The trail winds through several creeks, some gushing and some dried to a trickle. Trail 44 dried up after 1.2 miles, taking trail 43 down I found several on the way. If I were to do it again I would hike clockwise, a longer uphill until a insanely steep push to summit. I would also start earlier than 11:30 as this hike is HARD and I was in the fairly exposed midday sun 7 hours.

Beautiful views from the top and lots of wildflowers. Rated 4/5 due to more mileage than expected and soooo steep the last push to the summit-was wishing for switchbacks-but doable.

Did this with my dog today and it took a little less than 6 hours. Conditions were great only saw a few people on the trail. Great views of Timp, Utah lake, silver lake flat and tibble reservoir!

Great trail with spectacular views. Does get steep towards the summit.

7/26/2019: The views of this hike were amazing! The mileage is definitely more towards 12 RT. The trail steadily gains elevation up the the saddle which took 2 1/2 hours with a backpack. Once you hit the 4 way intersection and head to the peak it took 1.5 hours. The climb to the summit from the base is of the peak is STEEP but man the views from the top are totally worth it. We backpacked and camped in the meadow, bugs were bad, but not as bad as I thought. The wildflowers were beautiful, so many different kinds! This trail does NOT offer any shade. There is a small stream about 2 miles up and that is the last water source you will see so bring plenty of water. No snow or mud. We lucked out with a cloud cover for the hike that cleared at the top for us to get some pictures. Side note: The campers that stayed in our little spot before us left over 4 bags full of garbage. Tin cans, fruit cup garbage, candy wrappers, plastic soda and Gatorade bottles. Very disappointing. We were able to take the 4 bags worth but didn’t have more room for the rest, probably another two bags. LEAVE NO TRACE.

Great hike! It’s relatively steep pretty consistently on the way up but the the last mile or so before the summit gets VERY steep! Beautiful views and wildflowers all along the way. Loved it!

Backpacked 7/12/2019 - First off this hike is amazing. Awesome views! Over the weekend some friends and I tackled this peak from the apline side. We took the Deer creek / Dry creek trail up and camped at the south saddle at ~10,000feet. Sleeping was tough because of the mosquitoes so we moved our camp to the ridge where we had more of a breeze to keep them at bay. We made the mistake to take the Phelps canyon trail down. It was totally overgrown and impossibly to follow. (We had a gps overlay of the route so it helped somewhat ). Still required tons of bushwacking. GIving it a 4 because of the bugs.(probably just due to the time of year.) Took us 6 - 7 hours up. 3.5 hours down.

The dog and I made the summit for sunset last night. (7-11) The trail is definitely over-grown in many areas. In very few spots did we have to cross over snow and it was never difficult (only had hiking boots and my trekking poles) Only saw one other hiker and he made it with no poles..A reminder on the way down from the summit to stay right along the ridge line the best you can so you don't end up veering off into the snow fields in the trees. Only gave it 4 stars for last night as there were a ton of mosquitoes from start to finish, both ways..hopefully this will change - I've never seen the bugs that bad on this trail..awesome panorama view from top - Timp, tibble, silver lake flat, pfeiferrhorn, lone peak, and much more..

Great views of timp and lone peak the snow the last mile or so was kind of sketchy but you can kind of go around it be careful going down easy to loose the trail on the way down and get lost in the snow