Box Elder Peak Trail

Box Elder Peak Trail is a 10.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Alpine, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

11/15/17 What a hike! That last 1.5 to the summit is STEEP as crud! So well worth it! Saw a mountain goat on the south west ridge as we were about to summit. Too bad we didn't get there at the same time. I can't wait to return in July when the wild flowers are out!

Extremely steep. It is a challenge but worth it!

I enjoyed the hike. I actually did a circle. So far, none of these AllTrails hike show it this way. Started near the Granite Flats campground entrance. Hiked on Trail 43 to Trail 188. About a mile or so, there is an unmarked trail to the Box Elder Peak Summit. I have a GPX to share, if needed. Then hiked back to trail 188 and turned right. Followed that to Trail 44 back to the Granite Flats campground. Most of Trail 188 beyond the Box Elder Peak turnoff is very much overgrown, but not hard to stay on the trail. I loved it, because I was alone most of the day. Here is a Strava Link, if it helps. https://www.strava.com/activities/1168712457

This was a good challenging hike! The view is absolutely gorgeous at the top. You get a great view of the valley, as well as some of the other peaks nearby like timp and pfeifferhorn! Just be careful of moose if you are planning on hiking in he early hours of the morning. 2 were very close to our trail and slowed us down a bit!

The views at the summit are some of the best I've seen. There was even some mountain goats near the summit. The last mile is pretty steep and gave my legs a great workout. Tons of wild flowers across the saddle before the summit.

Beautiful hike! Easy to follow trail and lovely view.

Great views of Lone Peak, Timp, and Utah, Salt Lake, and Wasatch counties.

You pay your dues on the hike from the saddle to the peak, and that seems to keep the crowds away. There's a good chance you'll have the views all to yourself!

Need to summit this!

The last bit from the saddle to the peak is pretty tough. Trail is fairly easy to follow all the way to the top and as of July 3 2017 there's almost no snow left to get in the way. Bring plenty of water unless you plan on melting snow. Views are incredible. This is the perfect early season alternative to Timpanogos while it's still snowbound.

Amazing hike. The second half was steep but well worth it-the views were incredible. Took my group 6 hours of hiking at a decent pace.

Still a little snow that you have to cross in places. Had to turn back .3 miles from the top on account of time. The views would have been better if most of the surrounding peaks hasn't been covered in clouds. The views all along the trail was amazing

Sunday, January 08, 2017

BEAT.

Sunday, October 02, 2016

This hike is tough. Lots of incline going up from the parking area. This is marked hard for a reason. Also this hike says 7.9 miles but when I tracked it, came out to about 9.1 miles so I don't know whats going on there. Me and another person completed this in 5 hours but we were trucking the 2nd half. Speaking of 2nd half, the trail is very narrow and sometimes its difficult to know which is the trail and which is not lol. I would highly suggest doing this trail tho, the views were Amazing and it was not very trafficked so it was very peaceful.

Wednesday, September 07, 2016

This hike is awesome. One of my favorites in any of the wasatch canyons. Highly recommend this hike.

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Awesome hike. Start early so it's cooler. Areas that get really steep. Phenomenal views the whole entire time you're going. Up is fun, down is pretty awful not going to lie. Steep areas are pretty slippery on the way down. Make sure you have good shoes and plenty of food and water! Hard....but 110% worth it!

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Whatever you don't attempt box elder peak via phelps trail from dry canyon, right now there is just a wood en post but there should be a sign saying TRAIL CLOSED!!!!! Trail out granite flat campground is spectacular

Wednesday, November 18, 2015

This was.a favorite for me so beautiful always something gorgeous to see

Monday, November 09, 2015

This is one of my favorite peaks of the Wasatch. It's under-appreciated which means solitude. If you're looking for challenge, solitude, views, and wildlife, this is your hike.
The trail splits a mile or so up to the north and south. I prefer wrapping around the south end of the peak where more water sources can be found, and I think it's altogether more beautiful, particularly the view of Timp to the south.
There are mountain goats on the north side of the peak, in the bowl. They can be hard to spot, but if they move along those cliffs they are sure to dislodge some rocks that will echo through the whole bowl.
I LOVE this hike, so much I considered giving it a poor review in hopes to keep more people off it.

Saturday, September 12, 2015

I really knew nothing about this trail before starting out....but quickly found out its steep and hard and probably best done with a partner along. It was beautiful - stunning vistas all around, but I wasn't far up the trail, maybe 1.5 miles before I decided to tackle this one another day.