Box Elder Peak Trail

Box Elder Peak Trail is a 10.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Alpine, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

11/15/17 What a hike! That last 1.5 to the summit is STEEP as crud! So well worth it! Saw a mountain goat on the south west ridge as we were about to summit. Too bad we didn't get there at the same time. I can't wait to return in July when the wild flowers are out!

Extremely steep. It is a challenge but worth it!

I enjoyed the hike. I actually did a circle. So far, none of these AllTrails hike show it this way. Started near the Granite Flats campground entrance. Hiked on Trail 43 to Trail 188. About a mile or so, there is an unmarked trail to the Box Elder Peak Summit. I have a GPX to share, if needed. Then hiked back to trail 188 and turned right. Followed that to Trail 44 back to the Granite Flats campground. Most of Trail 188 beyond the Box Elder Peak turnoff is very much overgrown, but not hard to stay on the trail. I loved it, because I was alone most of the day. Here is a Strava Link, if it helps. https://www.strava.com/activities/1168712457

This was a good challenging hike! The view is absolutely gorgeous at the top. You get a great view of the valley, as well as some of the other peaks nearby like timp and pfeifferhorn! Just be careful of moose if you are planning on hiking in he early hours of the morning. 2 were very close to our trail and slowed us down a bit!

The views at the summit are some of the best I've seen. There was even some mountain goats near the summit. The last mile is pretty steep and gave my legs a great workout. Tons of wild flowers across the saddle before the summit.

Beautiful hike! Easy to follow trail and lovely view.

Great views of Lone Peak, Timp, and Utah, Salt Lake, and Wasatch counties.

You pay your dues on the hike from the saddle to the peak, and that seems to keep the crowds away. There's a good chance you'll have the views all to yourself!

Need to summit this!

The last bit from the saddle to the peak is pretty tough. Trail is fairly easy to follow all the way to the top and as of July 3 2017 there's almost no snow left to get in the way. Bring plenty of water unless you plan on melting snow. Views are incredible. This is the perfect early season alternative to Timpanogos while it's still snowbound.

Amazing hike. The second half was steep but well worth it-the views were incredible. Took my group 6 hours of hiking at a decent pace.

Still a little snow that you have to cross in places. Had to turn back .3 miles from the top on account of time. The views would have been better if most of the surrounding peaks hasn't been covered in clouds. The views all along the trail was amazing

Sunday, January 08, 2017

BEAT.

Sunday, October 02, 2016

This hike is tough. Lots of incline going up from the parking area. This is marked hard for a reason. Also this hike says 7.9 miles but when I tracked it, came out to about 9.1 miles so I don't know whats going on there. Me and another person completed this in 5 hours but we were trucking the 2nd half. Speaking of 2nd half, the trail is very narrow and sometimes its difficult to know which is the trail and which is not lol. I would highly suggest doing this trail tho, the views were Amazing and it was not very trafficked so it was very peaceful.

Wednesday, September 07, 2016

This hike is awesome. One of my favorites in any of the wasatch canyons. Highly recommend this hike.

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Awesome hike. Start early so it's cooler. Areas that get really steep. Phenomenal views the whole entire time you're going. Up is fun, down is pretty awful not going to lie. Steep areas are pretty slippery on the way down. Make sure you have good shoes and plenty of food and water! Hard....but 110% worth it!

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Whatever you don't attempt box elder peak via phelps trail from dry canyon, right now there is just a wood en post but there should be a sign saying TRAIL CLOSED!!!!! Trail out granite flat campground is spectacular

Wednesday, November 18, 2015

This was.a favorite for me so beautiful always something gorgeous to see

Monday, November 09, 2015

This is one of my favorite peaks of the Wasatch. It's under-appreciated which means solitude. If you're looking for challenge, solitude, views, and wildlife, this is your hike.
The trail splits a mile or so up to the north and south. I prefer wrapping around the south end of the peak where more water sources can be found, and I think it's altogether more beautiful, particularly the view of Timp to the south.
There are mountain goats on the north side of the peak, in the bowl. They can be hard to spot, but if they move along those cliffs they are sure to dislodge some rocks that will echo through the whole bowl.
I LOVE this hike, so much I considered giving it a poor review in hopes to keep more people off it.

Saturday, September 12, 2015

I really knew nothing about this trail before starting out....but quickly found out its steep and hard and probably best done with a partner along. It was beautiful - stunning vistas all around, but I wasn't far up the trail, maybe 1.5 miles before I decided to tackle this one another day.

Sunday, August 09, 2015

One of the most seldom visited 11,000 foot peaks along the Wasatch Front is Box Elder Peak. This "Elevener" is often overlooked because of 11,253 foot Lone Peak to the north of it, and 11,749 foot Mount Timpanogos to the south. This is a beautiful area, and the peak is well-worth the effort.

Most likely, you'll have the summit to yourself. Great views in all directions!

Saturday, June 27, 2015

This was a fantastic, grueling hike that produced some of the most spectacular views in Utah County. I feel Box Elder Peak often gets overshadowed by neighboring Mt. Timpanogos, and nearby Mt. Nebo, but I feel the views and hike were equally as impressive as both of those hikes. From the top, you get great views of Utah Valley, nearby Lone Peak, Pfeifferhorn, White Baldy, and Mt. Timpanogos. You can see Mt. Nebo and Santaquiin in the distance. It's breathtaking. The hike itself reminded me a lot of Mt. Nebo, even following a similar pattern, although this was longer. However, the climb to the summit of this one is what separates it from anything else in the area. It. Was. Tough. I mean tough. Many areas you easily 35-40% grade consistently for long stretches. If you have trekking poles, don't forget them for this one. If you don't have poles, buy some before this hike. They'll be worth their weight in gold. This time of year (June), there were abundant wildflowers growing in many of the alpine areas, covering the horizon with purples, yellows, and reds. This is easily now one of my top 10 favorite hikes in the SLC/Utah County area, and it's by far one of the most underrated hikes around.

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Just arrived into town from Nebraska for a summer internship and decided to tackle this beast right off the bat. Started at Granite Flats and made it to the meadow, come to find out there was a lot more snow than I expected. I guess it's still pretty early so I will be definitely be back a little later to peak it. Overall stellar first hike of the summer!

Friday, December 20, 2013

I did this as an overnight hike with my 14 yo daughter. We took the road to Silver Lake past Granite Flats CG and started on the trail head a few turns up the road. I takes a little distance out of the hike. It took about 5 hours to reach the meadow. We were surprised to find about 8 inches of snow. We quickly made camp and a fire and prepared for a cold night! The snow made us decide to not summit Box Elder Peak the next morning. We didn't hurry out the next morning but the hike down hill to Alpine seemed to last forever!! It was so pretty and enjoyable and will do it again! We never had any trouble finding water. It is a 12 hours hike. 6 hours up and 6 down without the summit to the peak. With those hours of hiking the mileage seems off.

Thursday, August 08, 2013

Even though it's hard and sketchy!

The views are spectacular, the sense of accomplishment is phenomenal, and the wild flowers are beautiful. A truly amazing wonder, and if done right, one flipping incredible experience. :)

Thursday, August 08, 2013

August 7/8-2013
Important things to note about this trail
It is marked difficult for a reason!
There are two types of trail on this route: steep, and steeper. The first 3/4 mile or so is a pretty decent trail, but after that you are stepping on large rocks and boulders the entire rest of the way, footing is unsure at best, and unless you're careful you could easily hurt an ankle or knee.
As you ascend, there is a small creek about 1-1.5 miles in, FILL UP THERE! Unfortunately the spring was dry up at the meadow which smashed our plan of summiting after setting base camp. :(
There is a lot of foliage and the trails are quite narrow which makes utilizing your trekking poles hard, because they like to get caught up in the brush (but ABSOLUTELY take them!)
After about 3 miles you're almost to the saddle and an awesome clearing.
After traversing the rock slide there is another very steep, and quite "slippery" section, but as soon as you mount the ridge you literally Burst into a huge meadow, perfect for overnighting or setting base camp in prep. to summit. The best spot is just E by NE of the signs, follow a little game trail and you'll run right into a fire ring and a perfect level spot for a tent,
There is also a spring that, supposedly, runs down a rock face further north along the little trail, but after much searching we found nothing, and because of that were forced to close our journey prematurely.
It is a difficult trail, especially with all the weight in water you should take, considering there is nowhere after mile 1 to filter up. The terrain is very difficult because of the insane amount of large rocks on the trail the whole time, and its impressive incessant incline. There are very few "nice sections" of the trail, enjoy them while you can and don't take a beginner!
We woke at 1AM and descended.
Don't forget it gets very windy up there. Sudden rain does happen. Take. Trekking. Poles. Bring a ton if water (3L is not enough.)

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Started hiking with Dave Beck at Granite Flats Campground at 6:30 am and finished in Alpine at 6:30 pm. Absolutely stunning views! Hard 12-hour hike - 5 hours up the mountain from the start at Granite Flats campground and 7 hours down to Alpine. Shrubs and flowers were in full bloom the entire way. Some of the trails across the slide areas were covered with slate. Large mud slides at the end of the trail due to hard rains the night before covered the trailhead parking lot in Alpine. Did not run into any other person on the entire trail until close to the end. Unfortunately, we didn't see any wildlife the entire trip. We didn't anticipate the length of time it would take and should have packed more than just nuts and granola bars. Drank water from various streams without incident after camelbacks went dry.

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Beautifull in late spring early fall. Limited water on trail, but the views are not easily beat. I've done this trail twice thus far and to date have run into a total of 1 other person on the trail. The final climb to the peek is not well marked and contains a fair amount of scrambling. Pack lots of water and hiking poles would serve well. I believe starting at Granit Flat camp ground up American Fork canyon trail number 43 was 12 miles total.