Box Elder Peak Trail

Box Elder Peak Trail is a 10.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Alpine, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Still a little snow that you have to cross in places. Had to turn back .3 miles from the top on account of time. The views would have been better if most of the surrounding peaks hasn't been covered in clouds. The views all along the trail was amazing

BEAT.

This hike is tough. Lots of incline going up from the parking area. This is marked hard for a reason. Also this hike says 7.9 miles but when I tracked it, came out to about 9.1 miles so I don't know whats going on there. Me and another person completed this in 5 hours but we were trucking the 2nd half. Speaking of 2nd half, the trail is very narrow and sometimes its difficult to know which is the trail and which is not lol. I would highly suggest doing this trail tho, the views were Amazing and it was not very trafficked so it was very peaceful.

This hike is awesome. One of my favorites in any of the wasatch canyons. Highly recommend this hike.

Awesome hike. Start early so it's cooler. Areas that get really steep. Phenomenal views the whole entire time you're going. Up is fun, down is pretty awful not going to lie. Steep areas are pretty slippery on the way down. Make sure you have good shoes and plenty of food and water! Hard....but 110% worth it!

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Whatever you don't attempt box elder peak via phelps trail from dry canyon, right now there is just a wood en post but there should be a sign saying TRAIL CLOSED!!!!! Trail out granite flat campground is spectacular

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Wednesday, November 18, 2015

This was.a favorite for me so beautiful always something gorgeous to see

Monday, November 09, 2015

This is one of my favorite peaks of the Wasatch. It's under-appreciated which means solitude. If you're looking for challenge, solitude, views, and wildlife, this is your hike.
The trail splits a mile or so up to the north and south. I prefer wrapping around the south end of the peak where more water sources can be found, and I think it's altogether more beautiful, particularly the view of Timp to the south.
There are mountain goats on the north side of the peak, in the bowl. They can be hard to spot, but if they move along those cliffs they are sure to dislodge some rocks that will echo through the whole bowl.
I LOVE this hike, so much I considered giving it a poor review in hopes to keep more people off it.

Saturday, September 12, 2015

I really knew nothing about this trail before starting out....but quickly found out its steep and hard and probably best done with a partner along. It was beautiful - stunning vistas all around, but I wasn't far up the trail, maybe 1.5 miles before I decided to tackle this one another day.

Sunday, August 09, 2015

One of the most seldom visited 11,000 foot peaks along the Wasatch Front is Box Elder Peak. This "Elevener" is often overlooked because of 11,253 foot Lone Peak to the north of it, and 11,749 foot Mount Timpanogos to the south. This is a beautiful area, and the peak is well-worth the effort.

Most likely, you'll have the summit to yourself. Great views in all directions!

Saturday, July 18, 2015

Saturday, June 27, 2015

This was a fantastic, grueling hike that produced some of the most spectacular views in Utah County. I feel Box Elder Peak often gets overshadowed by neighboring Mt. Timpanogos, and nearby Mt. Nebo, but I feel the views and hike were equally as impressive as both of those hikes. From the top, you get great views of Utah Valley, nearby Lone Peak, Pfeifferhorn, White Baldy, and Mt. Timpanogos. You can see Mt. Nebo and Santaquiin in the distance. It's breathtaking. The hike itself reminded me a lot of Mt. Nebo, even following a similar pattern, although this was longer. However, the climb to the summit of this one is what separates it from anything else in the area. It. Was. Tough. I mean tough. Many areas you easily 35-40% grade consistently for long stretches. If you have trekking poles, don't forget them for this one. If you don't have poles, buy some before this hike. They'll be worth their weight in gold. This time of year (June), there were abundant wildflowers growing in many of the alpine areas, covering the horizon with purples, yellows, and reds. This is easily now one of my top 10 favorite hikes in the SLC/Utah County area, and it's by far one of the most underrated hikes around.

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Just arrived into town from Nebraska for a summer internship and decided to tackle this beast right off the bat. Started at Granite Flats and made it to the meadow, come to find out there was a lot more snow than I expected. I guess it's still pretty early so I will be definitely be back a little later to peak it. Overall stellar first hike of the summer!

Friday, December 20, 2013

I did this as an overnight hike with my 14 yo daughter. We took the road to Silver Lake past Granite Flats CG and started on the trail head a few turns up the road. I takes a little distance out of the hike. It took about 5 hours to reach the meadow. We were surprised to find about 8 inches of snow. We quickly made camp and a fire and prepared for a cold night! The snow made us decide to not summit Box Elder Peak the next morning. We didn't hurry out the next morning but the hike down hill to Alpine seemed to last forever!! It was so pretty and enjoyable and will do it again! We never had any trouble finding water. It is a 12 hours hike. 6 hours up and 6 down without the summit to the peak. With those hours of hiking the mileage seems off.

Thursday, August 08, 2013

Even though it's hard and sketchy!

The views are spectacular, the sense of accomplishment is phenomenal, and the wild flowers are beautiful. A truly amazing wonder, and if done right, one flipping incredible experience. :)