Box Elder Peak Trail

Box Elder Peak Trail is a 10.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Alpine, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Very over-grown but beautiful! The wildflowers are out now, too! My watch caught the distance as 12.4, but probably because I parked my car just down the road a bit. Bring plenty of water, there is only one good stream to fill up at!

I loved this hike. Spring in the Mountains is so beautiful. The trees mostly have leaves now. This trails goes through beautiful groves of conifers, maples, gamble oaks, and aspens. There are a good number of flowers blooming now and many more are just starting to grow. There are beautiful views of the mountains for most of the hike. When you reach the saddle where you meet the Dry Creek trail, you can see down into Alpine. The view from the top was slectacular. I could see all the way to the Uintas to the east. there were great views of the valleys to the west including Utah Lake and even a part of the Great Salt Lake. There were great views of the surrounding Wasatch range including Lone Peak and mount Timpanogas. The weather was perfection today with clear blue skies and very little wind. There were only a few spots I had to cross very small patches of snow. My trekking poles were a help with that. The part of the trail that makes the final ascent up Box Elder Peak is very steep and a bit slippery because the trail itself is not well defined. It's more like a maze of very lightly worn tracks from previous hikers through the wooded parts and other rocky areas where it's a scramble. If you stay right on or very close to the ridgeline you will make it up. In general, almost all the trail is very rocky and many of the rocks are loose. I would definitely agree this is a hard hike. It is lightly traveled. I was on the trail most of the day and only crossed paths with a dozen people.

First part of the trail had nice steady gains and was pretty easy, I took my time and enjoyed the beautiful scenery! Then after you get past the big field where the trails converge it get really steep and you have to take your time. Great views from the top and would definitely do this one again! One of the best hikes I’ve been on, since moving here 4 months ago.

Used the Horsetail Falls trail today to summit Box Elder Peak. Hang a right just before the falls at a signed intersection to keep ascending on 2043, then keep on trucking for a good while until you get to a spot where you can see down into the Granite Flat Campground. From here, you swing south on 2188 and basically just go up and up and up until you're at the top of Box Elder Peak!

Saw oodles of wildflowers on this first day of June; oodles more are on the way in the next few weeks I'm sure. There's still snow up high, though nothing terrible as long as you're not the kind of person who likes to test their luck on avoidable cornices. I liked having my waterproof boots and gaiters, but I like fancy/luxurious things like that.

Probably something like 5,500ft of vertical gain all told?

Great view and worth the work to get there! Went last Friday and was still postholing in slushy snow within 1 mile of the top.

Great hike. We summitted yesterday, May 26th via the trailhead from Granite Flats campground. We were able to do it with no snow equipment and just running shoes - but you do need to hike through some snow on the north side. As has been mentioned it is not a popular hike - thankfully! The campgrounds were all full for memorial day weekend but we saw about 6 people the whole time up the mountain. This hike has a little bit of everything. When you turn south heading towards the peak, make sure and find a trail heading up along the ridge - if not, you might start heading below and around the east side of the mountain and miss the ridge. We followed a group of 3 guys who made nice tracks in the snow - there was a couple hundred yards of snow to get through, but most of the hike was clear. There are a few steep spots at the beginning of the ridge ascent. Trekking poles were definitely helpful.. On the way down we went too far west and didn't stay on the ridge and had to hike through deep snow to get back on track...We probably went 400 meters off course, even still the hike showed over 12 miles on both of our Garmins and checking with the others they had similar marks. This is at least 11-12 miles total it seems. The views on top of Timp, and the Alpine mountains - were incredible. One of my new favorite hikes! Also - the road from Tibble Fork to Granite Flat campground is now open.

@ Erin - Most of the trail didn't have any snow until you get closer to the top. You have to park at the lake parking lot and walk a mile on the pavement to get to the trailhead but it's an absolutely gorgeous view.

Does anyone know if this is still covered with deep snow near the summit? 5/6/2018

11/15/17 What a hike! That last 1.5 to the summit is STEEP as crud! So well worth it! Saw a mountain goat on the south west ridge as we were about to summit. Too bad we didn't get there at the same time. I can't wait to return in July when the wild flowers are out!

Extremely steep. It is a challenge but worth it!

I enjoyed the hike. I actually did a circle. So far, none of these AllTrails hike show it this way. Started near the Granite Flats campground entrance. Hiked on Trail 43 to Trail 188. About a mile or so, there is an unmarked trail to the Box Elder Peak Summit. I have a GPX to share, if needed. Then hiked back to trail 188 and turned right. Followed that to Trail 44 back to the Granite Flats campground. Most of Trail 188 beyond the Box Elder Peak turnoff is very much overgrown, but not hard to stay on the trail. I loved it, because I was alone most of the day. Here is a Strava Link, if it helps. https://www.strava.com/activities/1168712457

This was a good challenging hike! The view is absolutely gorgeous at the top. You get a great view of the valley, as well as some of the other peaks nearby like timp and pfeifferhorn! Just be careful of moose if you are planning on hiking in he early hours of the morning. 2 were very close to our trail and slowed us down a bit!

The views at the summit are some of the best I've seen. There was even some mountain goats near the summit. The last mile is pretty steep and gave my legs a great workout. Tons of wild flowers across the saddle before the summit.

Beautiful hike! Easy to follow trail and lovely view.

Great views of Lone Peak, Timp, and Utah, Salt Lake, and Wasatch counties.

You pay your dues on the hike from the saddle to the peak, and that seems to keep the crowds away. There's a good chance you'll have the views all to yourself!

Need to summit this!

The last bit from the saddle to the peak is pretty tough. Trail is fairly easy to follow all the way to the top and as of July 3 2017 there's almost no snow left to get in the way. Bring plenty of water unless you plan on melting snow. Views are incredible. This is the perfect early season alternative to Timpanogos while it's still snowbound.

Amazing hike. The second half was steep but well worth it-the views were incredible. Took my group 6 hours of hiking at a decent pace.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Still a little snow that you have to cross in places. Had to turn back .3 miles from the top on account of time. The views would have been better if most of the surrounding peaks hasn't been covered in clouds. The views all along the trail was amazing

Sunday, January 08, 2017

BEAT.

Sunday, October 02, 2016

This hike is tough. Lots of incline going up from the parking area. This is marked hard for a reason. Also this hike says 7.9 miles but when I tracked it, came out to about 9.1 miles so I don't know whats going on there. Me and another person completed this in 5 hours but we were trucking the 2nd half. Speaking of 2nd half, the trail is very narrow and sometimes its difficult to know which is the trail and which is not lol. I would highly suggest doing this trail tho, the views were Amazing and it was not very trafficked so it was very peaceful.

Wednesday, September 07, 2016

This hike is awesome. One of my favorites in any of the wasatch canyons. Highly recommend this hike.

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Awesome hike. Start early so it's cooler. Areas that get really steep. Phenomenal views the whole entire time you're going. Up is fun, down is pretty awful not going to lie. Steep areas are pretty slippery on the way down. Make sure you have good shoes and plenty of food and water! Hard....but 110% worth it!

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Whatever you don't attempt box elder peak via phelps trail from dry canyon, right now there is just a wood en post but there should be a sign saying TRAIL CLOSED!!!!! Trail out granite flat campground is spectacular

Wednesday, November 18, 2015

This was.a favorite for me so beautiful always something gorgeous to see

Monday, November 09, 2015

This is one of my favorite peaks of the Wasatch. It's under-appreciated which means solitude. If you're looking for challenge, solitude, views, and wildlife, this is your hike.
The trail splits a mile or so up to the north and south. I prefer wrapping around the south end of the peak where more water sources can be found, and I think it's altogether more beautiful, particularly the view of Timp to the south.
There are mountain goats on the north side of the peak, in the bowl. They can be hard to spot, but if they move along those cliffs they are sure to dislodge some rocks that will echo through the whole bowl.
I LOVE this hike, so much I considered giving it a poor review in hopes to keep more people off it.

Saturday, September 12, 2015

I really knew nothing about this trail before starting out....but quickly found out its steep and hard and probably best done with a partner along. It was beautiful - stunning vistas all around, but I wasn't far up the trail, maybe 1.5 miles before I decided to tackle this one another day.

Sunday, August 09, 2015

One of the most seldom visited 11,000 foot peaks along the Wasatch Front is Box Elder Peak. This "Elevener" is often overlooked because of 11,253 foot Lone Peak to the north of it, and 11,749 foot Mount Timpanogos to the south. This is a beautiful area, and the peak is well-worth the effort.

Most likely, you'll have the summit to yourself. Great views in all directions!

Saturday, June 27, 2015

This was a fantastic, grueling hike that produced some of the most spectacular views in Utah County. I feel Box Elder Peak often gets overshadowed by neighboring Mt. Timpanogos, and nearby Mt. Nebo, but I feel the views and hike were equally as impressive as both of those hikes. From the top, you get great views of Utah Valley, nearby Lone Peak, Pfeifferhorn, White Baldy, and Mt. Timpanogos. You can see Mt. Nebo and Santaquiin in the distance. It's breathtaking. The hike itself reminded me a lot of Mt. Nebo, even following a similar pattern, although this was longer. However, the climb to the summit of this one is what separates it from anything else in the area. It. Was. Tough. I mean tough. Many areas you easily 35-40% grade consistently for long stretches. If you have trekking poles, don't forget them for this one. If you don't have poles, buy some before this hike. They'll be worth their weight in gold. This time of year (June), there were abundant wildflowers growing in many of the alpine areas, covering the horizon with purples, yellows, and reds. This is easily now one of my top 10 favorite hikes in the SLC/Utah County area, and it's by far one of the most underrated hikes around.