Learn more

Box Elder Peak Trail is a 11 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Alpine, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 11.0 miles Elevation Gain: 4,812 feet Route Type: Loop

1 hour ago

7/8/20 - Great conditions and the wildflowers are phenomenal right now. Like a user above did, I went up the Deer Creek trail and went down White Canyon trail after summiting Box Elder. There was great variety although the WC trail was a little overgrown at parts — would still recommend doing both!

Great trail. Start early with the summer heat. We started at the Granite Flats campground and went up the Dry Creek trail (somewhat inaptly named at the moment) up to the saddle. From the saddle to the summit is very steep and a slow go (both up and down). No real snow to deal with on the trail and spikes are no longer needed. On the way down we took the White Canyon trail instead and then connected to trail 44 (which I highly recommend). It's a prettier trail, less traveled and has more shade. This is a gorgeous hike.

1. Study the map very well before leaving because there is no service at all until the peak. Look especially at the trailhead because I accidentally took a much longer route. 2. Only a few patches of snow, very manageable no ice axe or spikes needed. 3. On the way down you’ll see a fork about 10 minutes from the top, TAKE THE RIGHT SIDE! The left side goes down the other side of the canyon and disappears after 1/4 mile.

Son and I made it to the summit last night. Made it easily with just hiking shoes. Just a few patches of snow and a 30 foot snow field to cross. Remember to stay near the ridge on the ascent and descent between the saddle and the peak. Trekking poles are nice for the descent from summit in the scree area. Really beautiful right now, yesterday there were no bugs and great weather. After the first couple miles there is no water source. Like usual, if you want solitude, this is a great trail, saw 2 people the whole hike.

Amazing adventure. First 3.6 miles to the meadow are lovely and a gradual climb (trail overgrown in a few places). From there to the summit is a true physical challenge. A lot of the trail is wiped out from avalanche debris, so make sure to have a GPS with you as you’ll be doing some bushwhacking. Also, some areas are still icy and snowy, so make sure to at least have spikes. I would recommend an ice axe as well as there are two sections near the peak that are a little hairy (but I made it past them with just spikes). The views are unbelievable and worth the effort!

Great trail! We started at Granite Flats camp ground. Campground is closed but there is parking just outside the gate. We had hoped to make it to the peak but there is still quite a bit of snow up top. Slippery and steep. Took us a bit to get across some rock fields. Flat areas were okay to walk on the snow. We made it about 5 miles and couldn’t go any more and had to turn around at the top of the saddle by the terraces. At this point the trail was not safe and still blocked off. Hope to attempt it again in about a month.

icy

Snowshoed up Box Elder Peak vía Dry Creek starting in Alpine. At the 3.5 mile sign in the meadow there are two trail options to continue east another 1.7 miles to the ridge that overlooks Tibble Fork high above Granite Flats Campground. We stayed to the right and followed the west side Box Elder trail. Super tough trail to follow due to snow. We had to put on snowshoes at mile marker 2.4 which is .4 miles past Horsetail Falls. We headed south but gained some elevation. Some of the steep snow crossings were a little sketchy even in snowshoes. On the south west lower side of the peak (near where Phelps Canyon ties into the Box Elder trail) we decided to summit via the southwest ridge. It’s steep with snowshoes. Mixed rock and snow and several times post-hole’ing to our hips. On the upper ridge you must stay away from the cornices overhanging the north side into the steep bowl. Once on top the views were unreal! 6281’gain, 5 hours 30 mins and 6.77 miles. Since the snow was softening up so fast we headed down the north ridge which is super steep staying well away from the cornices overhanging the East steep slopes. Towards the bottom of the steep north ridge a large section of snow high in the bowl broke away for a loud and good sized avalanche. BC skiers beware of that bowl with warmer temps! Continued northwest and tied into upper Dry Creek trail and circled back down to trail head. 12.61 total miles, 6404’ gain, and 8 hours 30 mins. This time of year and the deep snow makes this round trip trail a harder hike. Even in the summertime this is a great hike but some very steep sections but not super exposed as long as you stay away from the cornices! Enjoy!

Only went 2.5 miles up due to time constraints, wish I could have gone to the saddle because the weather was amazing. The trail starts at granite flat campground but you can also start from the road to silver lake and hop on a connecting trail. It’s a gorgeous trail with some really cool views to the south and down into the canyon on the east side of Box Elder peak. There is a creek that runs nearby for the first mile or so of the hike. There’s a beautiful grouping of ponds near the beginning of the hike, a very peaceful area. I’m sure it’s a key gathering place for elk and deer (maybe moose too) during certain seasons. Only saw 2 people on the trail. I’m excited to do this hike again and go further!

icy

Me and my sister packed our bags expecting to freeze today and the weather was actually fantastic. The trail was pretty clear of snow up until the main ascent. At the base we put on crampons and gaiters and hit the summit. The snow was a few inches deep and passable without snow shoes. I would recommend spikes and trekking poles but you can still summit without them at least till it snows again and while our boot pack exists. The whole hike you're exposed to the sun so pack sunblock.

Completed this hike yesterday and it was a challenging hike, but well worth it. Views were amazing, especially with the fall colors changing. Trail conditions were fine. All trails doesn't show the full loop route, but we left and ended at Granite Flats campground going counter-clockwise.

Hell Yeah!!!!! Worth every step....... and there are several thousand of them. The ridge got sketchy when the wind was blowing at 30+ mph. And it was plenty cold, but not much beats a great summit hike in the fall. It was like walking through candy land on the way down. Trees are just starting to turn. Reality is, if you’re looking at hikes like this, you know what it takes and what you’re getting into. Me - I don’t care per se about the up and down. It’s the reward that makes it all worth the effort

i did this solo today, but as a loop. to the peak as shown on route map, then down the south ridge (very steep and loose rocky) to connect with the box elder trail. i did not bring a gps so i cant vouch for the distance, but car-to-car was 7.5 hours, and my legs feel quite toasty. I suspect it is about 2 miles more than an out-and-back and a good amount more gain. the box elder trail is overgrown in many spots; suggest wearing long pants (i didn't and my legs are scratched up). the views are super, especially of timp, utah lake, lone peak, pfeifferhorn, red baldy. but the peak was swarmed with flying ants and other ants that bite. very unpleasant; i stayed for only about 5 mins before they ran me off.

Did this today by myself. Hiked up from the north side on trail 43, starting at the Granite Creek Campground Trailhead. The trail follows the ridge and gets pretty steep. Well worth the great views from the top, particularly of the backside of Timp. I hiked down the south side of the summit, which has a lot of loose rock, and is even steeper than the ridge that I hiked up on the north side. I followed the Box Elder Trail back to the trailhead. The entire loop is more like 12 miles, not 11 miles.

Steep trail without a lot of reward. No great views, no water, nothing really outstanding.

What an epic hike! Definitely not for the faint of heart, this butt burner has a climb that does not quit, a few cliff edge scrambles, and loose edges sliding into oblivion. You’ll be rewarded by non stop scenery with a truly awesome view over Utah lake and next door neighbor Timp. The trail winds through several creeks, some gushing and some dried to a trickle. Trail 44 dried up after 1.2 miles, taking trail 43 down I found several on the way. If I were to do it again I would hike clockwise, a longer uphill until a insanely steep push to summit. I would also start earlier than 11:30 as this hike is HARD and I was in the fairly exposed midday sun 7 hours.