Box Elder Peak Trail is a 10.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Alpine, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Hiked the summit in Sept when leaves were at there best. Started from Granite Flats going up Deer Creek Trail, great hike except for last mile it is straight up, no switch backs. Came down bushwhacking through cliffs to the north of the peak, fun trail finding adventure. Caught an unmarked trail that loops around a no name peak east of Box Elder summit and went south connecting to and down Box Elder Trail. Took us 6.5 hours.

An awesome wasatch run. Great views of box elder peak almost the entire way up. Great for viewing the yellow aspen leaves during fall time. I saw elk, mountain goats and mule deer on this late afternoon run. Brought 1.5 liters of water and ran out 15 mins from the bottom.

Incredible! Somewhat deceptively long going up trail#043 as you have great views of the summit essentially the whole hike. trail is well maintained and easy to follow with plenty of switch backs and decent grade (until summit push). Next time I will bring my Australian Shepard.
I did a variation of the loop and well worth it! I came off the south side of Box Elder and used a game trail to summit the no name peak just to the south.... & was awesome! Particularly because I spooked a family of ~15 Mountain Goats (no joke.... 15!) I then dropped off the no name peak to the trail #044 you could actually see below (from summit of the no name peak) but be warned this way is very STEEP route finding with some sketchy parts but once on #044 was “smooth” sailing and is a cruiser of a trail

Hiked to the summit with the dog last week. Ran into one other hiker. Love the solitude on this trail. A couple miles up the trail you will have several views of the ponds off to your left - this time I saw a moose down by the water..really cool..The red leaves are gorgeous right now...Wanted to try this White Pine trail #188 I believe on the way down, but it was dark and didn't want to risk it...will try the loop next time..My garmin showed about 11.5 miles roundtrip...

An amazing hike. It is brutal and not for the faint of heart. It's about 4.8 miles to the top from Silver Lake Flat road. The maple type trees were at their peak of redness, aspens just starting to turn. It was about 60 degrees up on top. The trail to community flats (#043) is easy to follow but can feel misleading because you spend a lot of time heading north away from Box Elder but does eventually swing you around to the meadow at community flats. At the trail sign in the meadow you follow the trail that goes south (#188). You have to watch carefully for the cut off to the summit off #188. You'll see #188 head down and off to the left, to summit you want to head up the steep incline to the right toward 2 aspens and next to a scraggly lone pine. The trail from there to the top is mostly easy to see but sometimes a little sketch. You do spend a lot of time in the trees which was a pleasant surprise. The trail above the trees is STEEP and rocky and it's a ridge trail so at times it's pretty scary (drop offs on both sides). There's a huge rock abutment that seems impassable with the trail teetering around the east side. Turns out at that point you're only 50 yards from the top and you can skip the trail and just climb straight up the middle of the abutment and you're there!!! The views are stunning 360 degrees of jaw dropping beauty. Quiet and peaceful. We saw one hiker and one hunter at community flats. We had the mountain to ourselves.

Has become one of my favorites! A less traveled trail if you take the full loop. Crosses over various terrain from pine forests, meadows, aspen groves, to scrambling and granite and rocky. Multiple view point ledges. Multiple valleys and ridges (ups and downs). Saw some wildlife...fox, elk, deer, eagles, and more. Challenging hike but very worth it!

Although lacking in technical difficulty (no scrambling, bouldering or trail-finding) this hike proves to be challenging due to its length and steepness (especially towards the summit).

Excellent views of Alpine, North and South across the Wasatch range and out West looking out to the Uintahs.

Made the full loop by starting out at the Granite Flats Campground Trailhead and made my way back via White Canyon trail (highly recommended).

As you descend, White Pine Canyon trail will jut off to the right cutting down and across the forest.

For some reason the peak remains pretty secluded but I absolutely loved it!

:-) <3 _/|\_

We started from the trailhead just outside the Granite Flats campground around 4:00-4:30 pm, and made it to the meadow by 7:00 to camp overnight before going to the summit the next morning. The constant switchbacks you follow making it to that point weren’t great, and were steep, but pretty typical of what you see anywhere else in the Wasatch.

Climbing to the summit to the meadow can basically be summed up in one word: steep! Not a lot of bouldering like other peaks around it, and actually pretty decent shade as you summit from the meadow. The views at the top are great, especially of Timp on the south and Pfeifferhorn on the north. There’s also plenty of room at the top, unlike a lot of other peaks in the area.

We made this trip in late July and still had some snow, but nothing on the trail itself. Overnighting was fun, but you can definitely do this as a one day trip too.

I've done this peak a few times now. Definitely do the loop after the peak. There was never anyone on the trail when I hiked it, usually mid week. I saw some bull elk just off the trail. Recommended for sure.

Pros:
- Awesome views of the surrounding peaks including Box Elder the whole way
- Opportunities to see wildlife
- Wild flowers
- Hardly anyone on the trail, even on a Saturday in prime hiking season

Cons:
- Really steep (my GPS tracker told me 5177 ft elevation gain when dips and gains are factored in both ways)
- Exposed (hot the whole way)
- No water outside of roughly the first mile.

I would say this hike was harder than Timp or Nebo. I would recommend starting early (5 or 6 in the morning) to avoid the heat in the summer. I would also recommend bringing more liquid than you think you need, then bring some more. I started at 8, and despite having a large camelbak and 40 oz of Gatorade, I ran out of liquid with about 4 miles left in the hike. That is my fault for not rationing water very well at the beginning of the hike.

All things considered, this is still a really incredible hike that I would recommend to very experienced hikers in good shape. Definitely a cool peak to bag.

Awesome hike. My brother and I have played soccer our whole lives and are very active and decided on our off day to do this hike. We aren't in peak physical condition right now, but we are probably in better shape than the average person. We found it to be a good challenge, especially the final third of the ascent. It's steep as heck. Took us about 3.5 hrs to reach the summit and 1.5 hrs to get back down with some running. Definitely bring plenty of water. All in all the view is great and the trail is beautiful. Would definitely recommend it.

One of our favorite hikes in Utah Valley. The hike itself is fairly rigorous and you get to experience some varied terrain along the way. The view at the top is an amazing pay off for the journey up. What makes this hike one of the best in the area is because it is often looked over. We had the whole trail to ourselves on a Saturday. Being able to get lost in the wilderness for a few hours make this an amazing experience.

Pros: Good views. Solitude. Flowers. Get to enjoy an 11k foot peak to yourself most likely.

Cons: Hot and exposed to the sun with little to no shade. No reliable water sources. Relentlessly steep, particularly the last third.

If you do it I suggest bringing 1 gallon of water per person. That's what I took and it was just about the perfect amount.

I dont think this area gets enough credit. I think this is one of the best hikes in the Valley but this website has a lot of funny hikes ranked higher. I think the views and challenge of this hike are better than anything else the area has to offer. My wife and I did this with our 3 month old a few years ago and loved it. I do only give it a 3 star simply because hiking in other parts of Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming is just better and I cant just give out 4 and 5 stars to everything I like!

Gorgeous trail and very few people (I only saw 3 people during peak hiking hours). The middle portion of the trail is a tad overgrown, but not as bad as I expected. The final mile is pretty difficult, but the view is definitely worth it. I hike quite fast and it took me roughly 2.5 hours up and 2 down. A trail for true adventurers!

Very over-grown but beautiful! The wildflowers are out now, too! My watch caught the distance as 12.4, but probably because I parked my car just down the road a bit. Bring plenty of water, there is only one good stream to fill up at!

I loved this hike. Spring in the Mountains is so beautiful. The trees mostly have leaves now. This trails goes through beautiful groves of conifers, maples, gamble oaks, and aspens. There are a good number of flowers blooming now and many more are just starting to grow. There are beautiful views of the mountains for most of the hike. When you reach the saddle where you meet the Dry Creek trail, you can see down into Alpine. The view from the top was slectacular. I could see all the way to the Uintas to the east. there were great views of the valleys to the west including Utah Lake and even a part of the Great Salt Lake. There were great views of the surrounding Wasatch range including Lone Peak and mount Timpanogas. The weather was perfection today with clear blue skies and very little wind. There were only a few spots I had to cross very small patches of snow. My trekking poles were a help with that. The part of the trail that makes the final ascent up Box Elder Peak is very steep and a bit slippery because the trail itself is not well defined. It's more like a maze of very lightly worn tracks from previous hikers through the wooded parts and other rocky areas where it's a scramble. If you stay right on or very close to the ridgeline you will make it up. In general, almost all the trail is very rocky and many of the rocks are loose. I would definitely agree this is a hard hike. It is lightly traveled. I was on the trail most of the day and only crossed paths with a dozen people.

First part of the trail had nice steady gains and was pretty easy, I took my time and enjoyed the beautiful scenery! Then after you get past the big field where the trails converge it get really steep and you have to take your time. Great views from the top and would definitely do this one again! One of the best hikes I’ve been on, since moving here 4 months ago.

Used the Horsetail Falls trail today to summit Box Elder Peak. Hang a right just before the falls at a signed intersection to keep ascending on 2043, then keep on trucking for a good while until you get to a spot where you can see down into the Granite Flat Campground. From here, you swing south on 2188 and basically just go up and up and up until you're at the top of Box Elder Peak!

Saw oodles of wildflowers on this first day of June; oodles more are on the way in the next few weeks I'm sure. There's still snow up high, though nothing terrible as long as you're not the kind of person who likes to test their luck on avoidable cornices. I liked having my waterproof boots and gaiters, but I like fancy/luxurious things like that.

Probably something like 5,500ft of vertical gain all told?

Great view and worth the work to get there! Went last Friday and was still postholing in slushy snow within 1 mile of the top.

Great hike. We summitted yesterday, May 26th via the trailhead from Granite Flats campground. We were able to do it with no snow equipment and just running shoes - but you do need to hike through some snow on the north side. As has been mentioned it is not a popular hike - thankfully! The campgrounds were all full for memorial day weekend but we saw about 6 people the whole time up the mountain. This hike has a little bit of everything. When you turn south heading towards the peak, make sure and find a trail heading up along the ridge - if not, you might start heading below and around the east side of the mountain and miss the ridge. We followed a group of 3 guys who made nice tracks in the snow - there was a couple hundred yards of snow to get through, but most of the hike was clear. There are a few steep spots at the beginning of the ridge ascent. Trekking poles were definitely helpful.. On the way down we went too far west and didn't stay on the ridge and had to hike through deep snow to get back on track...We probably went 400 meters off course, even still the hike showed over 12 miles on both of our Garmins and checking with the others they had similar marks. This is at least 11-12 miles total it seems. The views on top of Timp, and the Alpine mountains - were incredible. One of my new favorite hikes! Also - the road from Tibble Fork to Granite Flat campground is now open.

@ Erin - Most of the trail didn't have any snow until you get closer to the top. You have to park at the lake parking lot and walk a mile on the pavement to get to the trailhead but it's an absolutely gorgeous view.

Does anyone know if this is still covered with deep snow near the summit? 5/6/2018

11/15/17 What a hike! That last 1.5 to the summit is STEEP as crud! So well worth it! Saw a mountain goat on the south west ridge as we were about to summit. Too bad we didn't get there at the same time. I can't wait to return in July when the wild flowers are out!

Extremely steep. It is a challenge but worth it!

Friday, September 15, 2017

I enjoyed the hike. I actually did a circle. So far, none of these AllTrails hike show it this way. Started near the Granite Flats campground entrance. Hiked on Trail 43 to Trail 188. About a mile or so, there is an unmarked trail to the Box Elder Peak Summit. I have a GPX to share, if needed. Then hiked back to trail 188 and turned right. Followed that to Trail 44 back to the Granite Flats campground. Most of Trail 188 beyond the Box Elder Peak turnoff is very much overgrown, but not hard to stay on the trail. I loved it, because I was alone most of the day. Here is a Strava Link, if it helps. https://www.strava.com/activities/1168712457

Tuesday, August 29, 2017

This was a good challenging hike! The view is absolutely gorgeous at the top. You get a great view of the valley, as well as some of the other peaks nearby like timp and pfeifferhorn! Just be careful of moose if you are planning on hiking in he early hours of the morning. 2 were very close to our trail and slowed us down a bit!

Saturday, August 26, 2017

The views at the summit are some of the best I've seen. There was even some mountain goats near the summit. The last mile is pretty steep and gave my legs a great workout. Tons of wild flowers across the saddle before the summit.

Monday, August 21, 2017

Beautiful hike! Easy to follow trail and lovely view.

Thursday, August 03, 2017

Great views of Lone Peak, Timp, and Utah, Salt Lake, and Wasatch counties.

You pay your dues on the hike from the saddle to the peak, and that seems to keep the crowds away. There's a good chance you'll have the views all to yourself!