Box Elder Peak Trail

Box Elder Peak Trail is a 7.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Wellsville, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Very steep dusty trail. Some overgrowth making pants very helpful! Amazing views!

I enjoyed the hike. I actually did a circle. So far, none of these AllTrails hike show it this way. Started near the Granite Flats campground entrance. Hiked on Trail 43 to Trail 188. About a mile or so, there is an unmarked trail to the Box Elder Peak Summit. I have a GPX to share, if needed. Then hiked back to trail 188 and turned right. Followed that to Trail 44 back to the Granite Flats campground. Most of Trail 188 beyond the Box Elder Peak turnoff is very much overgrown, but not hard to stay on the trail. I loved it, because I was alone most of the day. Here is a Strava Link, if it helps. https://www.strava.com/activities/1168712457

This trail is truly awful. The great views at the top are NOT worth the miles and miles of gruelingly steep and terribly maintained trail. At times the trail is so overgrown that it is dangerously easy to lose. (We lost it at one point and it took us several hours of extra steep backtracking to find it again) It's exhausting, and because most of the trail is exposed (not shaded) it is easy to become overheated. I am an avid hiker and I don't remember the last time I've hated a trail as much as this. I would NEVER recommend it.

(We started at Rattlesnake and took the Maple Bench trail down. We may as well have been bushwhacking down the Maple Bench way because it was practically impossible)

Sunday, October 09, 2016

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

My mother had major ankle surgery 2 years ago but really wanted to do this trail. We only made it in 1.5 miles but she loved how shaded and green it was. I would love to try it again another time. We only saw one other couple on the trail.

Monday, August 15, 2016

Pretty steep most of the way and really dusty! Undergrowth is everywhere, so unless you want itchy shins at the end, wear long pants (me personally I'd choose the itchy shins). Sick views at the top of both the Wasatch front and cache valley. Overall it was strenuous, but worth it!

Monday, July 25, 2016

The 1/2 mile walk to the trail head is on an old jeep trail . Very easy to hike . At the trail head the trail is very steep 47% incline hike . When the trail forks go left , the right fork takes you back down to the Wellsvile side .
The vegetation is amazing , wild Fowers are every where ..
Trail continues west for 1.5 miles going threw another maze of trees and vegetation you come out on to another hog back ..steep trail continues 1/2 mile then turns west again working threw head high vegetation can not see your feet .. Trail turns north west continuing to climb higher and higher at the fork on top take right fork continuing the climb very very steep to the ridge line .. Follow the ridge line Then the trail goes below the ridge until you arrive on top . Trail to the left takes you to Box Elder Peak . There are a set of ski's on a pile of rocks and a jar to put your name in ..If you still are hungry for more continue to the Wellsville Cone . The highest point of this mountain range . The trail is very steep descend then it's easy going to the cone . If your afraid of heights nows the time to turn around and head back the way you came . If you up for more fun continue on to the Wellsville Ridge trail
P.s. Watch out for Rattle Snakes.
I'm in great shape this hike took me 9.5 hours round trip . Easy 6 hours up .. Remember to take more water than you think that you need . If you run out of water on this hike you will have to turn back .. I'v hiked this 8 times

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Sunday, April 03, 2016

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Great views. Very steep

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

This is a great trail with great views of Cache Valley and the north part of the Salt Lake Valley (or whatever the valley around Brigham City is called). The trail is nice and easy to follow although brutally steep at some parts. Still, the views are worth it! From the top you can see both the Brigham City and Logan Temples, although you might want to bring some binoculars if you want to see any amount of detail on them from the top. Also, unless you're in amazing shape and are used to really steep hiking, it will take longer than the 5 hours that the trail info suggests for the hike.

Monday, October 01, 2012