Box Elder Creek Trail

Box Elder Creek Trail is a 4.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mantua, Utah that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is best used from April until November. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

A secluded area that is full of moose and deer. This trail will lead to the trail that takes you to Pete's Cabin.

I decided to ride this trail and I was not disappointed. Here is what you need to know if you are going to bike this trail:
- Get ready for a climb. The first two miles are killer. But it's a good trail with the exception of the last quarter mile or so. The trail turns into loose gravel and cobbles so it's really hard to keep your momentum.
- After the climb, take the trail to the right and get ready for a great downhill and some great views of the valley you just climbed. Narrow single track. Mostly hard pack but it gets Rocky here and there.
- Now for why I gave 4 stars instead of 5. During the downhill, the trail gets very overgrown and super narrow. It is still way fun, but I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner.
- There are a few places where the trail splits. The one I ended up taking ended with a steep downhill through a wash. Kinda sketch. It spit me out on the road just down from where I started. I plan on exploring that area more in the future.

So yeah, great ride! Super pretty too. Enjoy!

Fun hike, took me about two hours. No peak or vista if you stay on the loop. Saw a huge bull moose at the pond, he stayed put fortunately because the trail runs near the pond. The loop was about 4.85 mi round trip.

The trail head was not well marked, but after locating a large gate I climbed through and headed out. I started out going left completed it going clockwise. It has a gradual incline in the beginning up to a small meadow abiut 2 miles up. In this meadow I was thrown off by the fork in the road. But only hiked a short time on the wrong trail before it narrowed and was very grown over. At this point I checked my map and made a course adjustment. Back on the trail, (following the fork to the right) it continues to climb through beautiful green forest. I crossed the creek 3 times overall and even found a small spring on the trail. While hiking through scrub oak, tall pines and really large Aspen trees, I enjoyed every minute. Continuing to gain altitude I found some amazing views of the high mountain ridges around even passed a small pond, and finished this hike on the west ridges or the mountainside crossing natural shale rock and gravel beds. It desends very significantly in the last 1.5 miles. I am excited to do this again.

Thursday, July 13, 2017

We got to the trail head and there was a locked gate. We were really excited to try a new spot that was horse friendly, so we were pretty bummed to have to turn back.

Friday, June 02, 2017

Nice trail through a variety of terrain. It appears from the GPX files (mine and AllTrails), that the trail ends at a large clearing/meadow. Good workout for rehab on my knees.

Monday, July 04, 2016

nice hike, lots of shady spots along the way, saw some wild turkeys- nice small creek, gate at entrance means we were not swarmed by recreational vehicles :-)

Sunday, April 17, 2016

I'm not a hiker but i want to be. I've walked the Pleasant View trail 3 times and so i thought WTH try a moderate one. This kicked my butt and i loved it. So beautiful. I got 3 miles up all the quads turned around when the hit snow, nope kept going. Next time hit snow turn around...lol Still had fun tho, learned how to get out of hip deep snow.

Sunday, May 03, 2015

The entire loop trail is about 5.5 miles long and is a great hike. I would recommend taking the road straight south until it turns into a regular hiking trail. After about 1 1/2 miles the trail will continue to head straight if you take the split to the right it will take you up to back up to the ridge and up to a saddle. After that you will drop into a valley, this is where my trail starts. It is a awesome spot with a nice little pond and a couple creek crossings.

recorded mantua