Learn more

Bowman Fork to Gobblers Knob Trail is a 9.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Length 9.6 mi Elevation gain 4,071 ft Route type Out & Back

Photos (577)
Recordings (53)
Completed (158)
L Dan Crane
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 9, 2020
View L Dan 's Recording
John Morey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 1, 2020
Hiking

Is an awesome hike, mostly shaded. We started at 5PM and got 3.5 miles up and ran into a bull moose right on the trail. We waited for about 20 minutes but he was not moving so we decided to cut our losses and go back. We'll attempt the Knob again later in the year

Solitude Sun
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 19, 2020

Amazing trail. Lots of flowers.

Austin Bakker
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 26, 2020
HikingGreat!

Loved it. We did Gobbler's Knob and Mount Raymond since the saddle was smack dab between the two peaks. Wasn't too strenuous. If you do Raymond, its a bit steeper with some rock scrambling. If you wait till 8 to start, the gate up the paved road will be open and will save you about a third of a mile each way, but we got there a quarter to seven and were grateful for the shade on the way up. Only drank a liter of water on the way to the first peak, but once the heat hit, I ended up drinking a full gallon. There's not many opportunities to pump water so I recommend packing your water. The views are spectacular. Bugs weren't really a problem

Virag White
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 17, 2020
Hiking

Nice shade for the majority of the trail. Only rocky towards the end. Trail is rated hard, but aside from the time it takes, it is not that difficult. Steady but very manageable uphill climb on the way there. The views are spectacular at the end. It was very windy and cold up top (a storm was moving in) so having extra layers are always a good idea. Just before you start the last uphill climb, you will go through small and very pretty meadows. They were shaded from the wind. On the way down I did a shortcut because I had to be somewhere. Instead of the trail, I cut the corner by heading straight downhill. Well, I don’t recommend it. I did cut about a mile off, but it was very steep and loose thorny ground. If you are not on a time crunch, stay on the trail. Great hike, I will do it again.

Tikva D.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 2, 2020
Hiking

Yay, the snow has finally melted enough to get to the top. There are a couple sections where you’ll have to go through a little snow, and poles were helpful, although I didn’t need spikes. Looks like summers finally here

Matthew Anthony
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 21, 2019
HikingOver grownSnow

Deep snow the whole way. 2+ feet at times. Pack more as if your mountaineering versus hiking (sans the pro)

Philip Scherer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 20, 2019
HikingOver grownRockyScrambleSnow

4 of us hiked today. Stayed close to the AllTrails map, but created our own trail due to the snow. Easily 1 - 2 feet of snow once we hit the open area.

View Philip's Recording
Matthew Anthony
HikingOver grownRockySnow
David Figgat
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 12, 2019
Hiking

Great trail and an excellent hike. The scramble to the summit was steeper than I expected and well worth the effort. A late fall hike on this mountain cannot be best for views and conditions.

View David's Recording
Madi Kraus
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 2, 2019
HikingBlowdownScramble

Actually decided to go to Mt Raymond once I got to the pass, rather than Gobblers Knob. Views were dope, trail was groomed, it wasn’t crowded for a Friday (or any day really). I hiked to the summit and ran back down. Awesome workout

View Madi's Recording
Joe schul
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 25, 2019
HikingBugs

Great hiking today with amazing views! Totally worth it!! I started around 10am and didn't get done until 6pm. Definitely a tough hike to the top if you're not used to the altitude (which is why it took me so long). All the flowers were alive and blooming but of course that means bugs... and lots of em! Make sure to bring bug spray and sunscreen because about 2 miles in it changes from forest to open field and you'll definitely get some sun. Would definitely do it again if I'm in town

N C
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 21, 2019
Hiking

Make sure to bring a lot of water! The first part to the fork is all uphill but all shade if you start early. Once you get to the Alexander Basin/Baker’s fork you’re mostly in the sun with alternating uphill and downhill. Lots of wildflowers and incredible views

Aylin Rodan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 7, 2019
HikingBugs

Perfect conditions today, great trail with amazing views in all directions - well worth it!

Cera Foran
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 18, 2019
HikingSnow

Made it about 4 miles before I quit due to snow and mud. Maybe could have gone further with poles and yak tracks. Mud was slippery and had to keep traction on.

Taylor Davis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 31, 2018
Hiking

A M A Z I N G Winter Summit! Definitely a Challenge ... Come prepared ... But SO worth it! This was way FUN!!! :-) _/|\_

Jens Jorgensen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 30, 2018
Hiking

Beautiful views of Big Cottonwood and Millcreek. Is not 9.6 miles. I clocked it at 10.4. From Bowmans Pass to the summit is .9 miles just so you're aware of that as well.

Alex Bellenger
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 9, 2018
Hiking

The hike had lovely views throughout and the overlook from the Knob was amazing. The trail is longer than 9.6 miles. I clocked it at 14.5 miles. I did have to park outside the gate because it was closed but that only adds 0.5 mile.

Steven Baeder
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 8, 2018
Hiking

Dogs are allowed, no leash needed on odd days

Bryan Sansom
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 9, 2018
Hiking

The hike is great to the first overlook then beyond there the trail narrows quite a bit. Before the spring the trail gets a little deceptive. I was up on top for the sunset and hiked down in the dark. I’m a slow hiker and got passed by a few people who told me about the spring and I was glad to know it was drinkable because I ran out of water right on top and had a resource on the way down.

Amanda Scriver
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJune 3, 2018
Hiking

We started this hike by walking up the road to the trailhead which added an additional 1/4 mile up and 1/4 mike back to our trip. We did take our two dogs and saw plenty of other dogs on the train since this starts out in Millcreek Canyon. It’s a pretty moderate and consistent climb up for the entirety of the hike. We went for about an hour and a half before we turned around and came back down since we didn’t plan for the time properly and it was getting dark. Lovely hike though and a good workout for the start of the season.

karen baxter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 16, 2018
Hiking

The gate from the road still isn't open, so you'll have to hike up the road a bit to get to the starting point. No snow, nice cool weather.

Breck Tuttle
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 5, 2018
Hiking

Love the view from the top