Bloods Lake Trail

Bloods Lake Trail is a 1.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from May until October.

Distance: 1.1 miles Elevation Gain: 282 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Note: The current trailhead is closed for renovation. However, alternate parking is available about a mile to the east. Bloods Lake Trail is a short hike that's great for the whole family at the top of Big Cottonwood Canyon in Wasatch County. The trailhead can easily be reached from Midway, Salt Lake, and Park City at the top of Old State Route 152, just below Guardsman Pass. There are breathtaking views right from the parking area! With a short distance to the lake, it is an easy hike with the exception of the last portion, which is a steep and rocky trail. The lake is small and clean. If you go to the Southeast corner there is even a rope swing - great for a quick afternoon dip in the cool water on a hot day. This hike is best experienced during the fall for its fall colors and during ate spring and summer for it's display of wildflowers. Guardsman Pass is closed during the winter, which makes this trail inaccessible from November to April.

Love this trail.

This is the second time I’ve done this trail but the first on this new route. I broke 5 ribs last week but still had no problem doing the hike. The scenery through the trees is breathtaking and the flowers were out in full force. Only heard a few mosquitos but we had put on bug spray so no problems. We got to the lake and a big moose was hanging out having lunch and then took a nap in the grass. We saw a woodpecker doing its job, and the chipmunks were running around everywhere. The lake is gorgeous but a bit too cold for my son to use the rope swing, which is on the last tree on the other side of the lake if you didn’t know. Maybe next year we’ll go for a swim. Great hike though.

The old parking at the top is now a “drop off only.” There are signs posted discouraging shoulder parking there, also that it is “heavily enforced.” The new parking is down the road on the left right after the first crosswalk you come upon. The bathrooms weren’t open yet but there is a honey bucket. No trash can either yet so carry your dogs poop out. Trail is much better marked than the last, longer, shady, more wild flowers. Very mellow and flat at the beginning, then switch backs to get up and over to the lake, they can be steep. Took my best friend, Dogs, and our two year olds that hiked the whole thing with us, we were slow but they were able to get there unaided. (We carried them down). If dogs aren’t allowed, it’s not posted and there are quite a few of them, also we did swim in the water, hasn’t made the algae list as of now. (8/22/2019)

this was an amazing hike! the payoff was huge!

Did this today with my 2 year old and 6 year old. They both enjoyed it immensely. Does get a little steep at the end so I ended up carrying the 2 year old. Lake was nice for jumping in so take your swimsuits. It is 3.4 miles round trip.

Does anyone know if dogs and swimming (for dogs and humans) is still allowed on this trail?

Love this trail. Beautiful spot at the lake to have a snack. The new parking area is great with brand new restrooms. Walk all the way around the lake. There was a rope jump into the lake so if interested wear a bathing suit.

Lovely trail! Completed in the evening light during a rainstorm. Amazing! Super easy and can do within an hour.

New trail is partially shaded which is nice. Still a moderate hike, but much longer. Very crowded on the weekends. Wear insect repellent.

The trail to Blood Lake shown on All Trails (straight down from Guardsman Pass) is NOT the best way to get there. It is true that you can no longer park right at Guardsman Pass due to renovation. We parked a little over a mile to the east in a large parking area and discovered, fortuitously, that there is now a beautiful trail to Blood Lake from that location. We tracked our progress on the All Trails app and for most of the hike it looked like we were bushwhacking since the trails were not shown on the app. But believe me, you don’t bushwhack. The trail is through beautiful Aspen groves and wildflower filled meadows. It’s a gorgeous trail and yes, the lake is beautiful. You can return to your car by the same trail or take the short, steep, loose gravel trail up to Guardsman Pass. From there I suggest you do what we did which was to cross the road and walk a few miles on the Wasatch Crest Trail. Gorgeous views in all directions. When you return to Guardsman Pass you will have to walk (or hitchhike) 1 1/4 mile back to you car along the road, steeply downhill (10% grade) with several blind curves. curves. Watch out for inattentive drivers. Hiked on 8/15/19

This hike was definitely for the books. It’s gorgeous from start to finish. It’s fairly quick. My husband and I knocked it out in two hours and that’s with hanging out at the lake and taking a little dip.

Nice moderate hike and lots of families. Steeper at the end. The lake is beautiful.

Beautiful trail with lots of shade and gentle rolling hills until the last 1/2 mile. Pretty steep at the end, but very doable. Definitely more rigorous than the old trail right at the top of Gaurdsman Pass. Lake is gorgeous .. rope swing was back! Wildflowers were perfect!

We enjoyed this hike. We went counter-clockwise and the first 0.5-0.75 miles was steep and the most challenging portion of the hike. The rest was quite easy and enjoyable. Pretty easy to find yourself off the trail as it’s somewhat overgrown and there are several very rocky stretches where the trail isn’t well defined.

The new Bloods lake trail is great!! It’s now rated as moderate. The first mile is easy and then the last .5mile is a series of switchbacks and is a little steeper. Shaded most of the way - a great trail now. Wild flowers right now a really nice.

Wild flowers are beautiful! I drove passed Guardman’s Pass and parked a little bit down the hill (maybe 0.5 miles). I think it might be a shorter route to the lake than the parking lot that everyone else is parking at. Bugs are terrible. I wasn’t anticipating hiking so I had no bug spray. They came out in swarms by the lake. Very pretty. A decent amount of people camping or hiking.

Went this afternoon and the wildflowers are breathtaking!!!! But be ready for lots of flying bugs. Bring spray for the Mosquitoes. Even though this trail is longer, its more scenic and shaded. Great hike with the dogs!

Trailhead has moved a mile down the road, so this hike/trail is much different now and longer. I would rate it as moderate. A lot of mosquitoes right now.

This is the new trail into bloods lake. It is beautiful but much longer than the old trail. You cannot park at the top of guardsmen anymore. There is a new parking lot down the hill on park city side with a new trail, 1.5 miles one way, with a good amount of uphill right before you get to lake. This is a very busy lake because you can swim in it and dogs are allowed on the trails and in the lakes. I was super annoyed at bag dog owners who left dog poop, dog barf, off leash dogs roaming around. There was a slack line across the lake and also a rope swing.

Hiked this today with three kids under 10. Pretty trail with plenty of shade. The parking lot is large and easy to find (1 mile past Guardsman Pass) on the north side of the road. Bathroom (Honey Bucket right now) is available at the lot. The new trailhead is clearly marked and across the road from the parking lot on the south side. The new trail is 2.92 miles round trip with an elevation gain of 373 feet. Kids and older adults may have a harder time toward the end as it inclines fairly rapidly. The rope swing was back up this morning and plenty of dogs were on the trail today. Don't forget bug spray!!!

There is NO PARKING at the Guardsman Pass Summit. The old parking area has been removed and will be replaced with a Pick Up Drop off area. Parking is not allowed on the road on either side of the summit. The NEW parking area is located 1 mile east of the summit and the NEW trail head is across the street from the Parking area. DOGS are not allowed in Big Cottonwood Canyon west of the summit. So parking below the summit and walking your dog to the summit, you risk getting a ticket.

A good short hike, easy enough for kids to do. Parking was difficult to find, it was pretty busy when I went. When we got to the lake, there wasn’t much flat land to sit & rest on. The lake was beautiful tho & the water was cold but in a good way. I recommend a ton of bug spray, the mosquitoes were crazy. I’d also recommend a floatie or tube, the lake is huge and swimming all of it can get exhausting. The shores are all rock too, wear sandals. I’d definitely do it again!

Fun little hike for a morning workout. The views and wildflowers are lovely. Parking kind of sucks but eh it’s a pre-warm up. Enjoy!

Very fun, short hike that isn’t too difficult! Good for all ages, especially if you want to swim in the lake!

Beautiful hike full of wildflowers and lots of shade! We absolutely loved it! Be sure not to forget your bug spray though, the mosquitos are awful!

Great new trailhead a mile or so east with PLENTY of parking. The new trail to Bloods Lake starts across the street, and it is GORGEOUS! I like that it has ups and downs and level spaces with lots of trees for shade. Right now you’ll see fields of wild flowers of 7 different colors! I’m also a big fan of climbing toward a destination and descending back down to the car. That was what I didn’t like on the old trail—climbing a steep hill back up at the end. My kids much preferred the old trail because it was super short. They thought this one was at least “10x as long!” Despite the complaints on the comparative length, they loved this trail and did great on it. I have no idea how long it is now, but it felt longish even for me because I didn’t know what to expect. I’m guessing it was about 2 miles each way. We had my sister’s dog with us, and someone told us that pretty soon dogs and swimming won’t be allowed. That’s sad! But we made the most of it today, taking a chilly dip and swim as a family with our doggie companion. Seems like lots of families were up there doing the same, but it didn’t feel at all crowded. Thanks to the family who donated the funds to create this new trail and for those who made it happen! Only downside—that powdery, dark brown dust you walk through. Anyone who’s been to Cub Country up Millcreek Canyon knows what I’m talking about. We came home dirty but happy! (7/19/2019)

This hike used to be one of my favorite hikes but due to the new dog policy I will have to reconsider going here. Being a lone, female hiker, I always try to stick to places I can bring the dogs. Really sad to have lost the opportunity to enjoy this place by a responsible dog owner. Swimming will also be prohibited. If you plan on hiking here, clean up after yourself/dogs so we don’t lose our privileges.