Birch Canyon Road Trail

Birch Canyon Road Trail is a 7.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Smithfield, Utah that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

off road driving

Great my mountain biking! It makes a difference when a biker makes a trail... this one is. The trail flows really well with some added features to hit. I don't feel like I'm just bombing down because it weaves enough that it's a silky smooth ride. It is a bit hard to find though so be aware of that. (Ps there is a cul-de-sac south of the dirt road (not connected to the main access road) that has single track leading up to the road that's fun. Much better than driving halfway up and unlocking gates.)

Honestly, the place isn't that hard to find. You can drive up the dirt road and park near the entrance of the National Forest. Or you can park at Mack Park and just walk/bike/run up the road which never hurt anybody. The river is beautiful and it made for an awesome trail run.

This trail sucks.

The directions on here are poor at best. It took me an hour of driving around just to find the trail head and then I had to park way far away because the dirt road before the trailhead is private property and you can't park there. The single track is short and not worth the hassle.

What a pain getting to this trail. Hard to find. After going on a dirt road for 3 miles with ruts a foot deep, having to open multiple gates, that's it for me. After parking, the trail is 2.5 miles to the top. We saw a few rattle snakes and a blow snake (I hate snakes). The river winds down through the canyon and the trail crosses it 10 times. The river is freakin cold and is sometimes 20 feet wide and up to 2 feet deep. My shoes were full of little rocks from crossing the river so many times and I couldn't feel them because my feet were so cold and numb. Bring plenty of bug spray. I got so many mosquito bites. It is pretty but not worth it.

Take my advice and don't waste your time on this trail. Dusty, deep water to cross, hard to find, and horseflies everywhere, it was miserable. The land owner also yelled obscenities at me for parking on the side of the road on his property I guess. I won't be going back.

Don't let forest service catch you up this. They will give you a fine. It's wilderness and illegal to bike it. Not worth the drive to hike it either. Too many rattlesnakes.

This trail doesn't even deserve a 1 star. Every time I go I see a rattlesnake or 2 in the middle of the trail and the last time I went alone I saw the biggest rattler I've ever seen, almost bit my dogs. I also saw a cougar! Kinda cool actually but scary too. Not only that but a herd of 3 dozen Texas longhorns just roam the trail free and won't move for you, in fact one charged at me protecting a calf. The trail is terrible, tons of boulders, deep water, and overgrown. Access is a pain also. Green canyon and providence canyon trails are so much better.

Monday, July 25, 2016

Sunday, July 03, 2016

Kudos to whoever added the single track. First time up there but very impressed. Watch out for Texas Longhorns!

Monday, May 16, 2016

It begins as a dirt road that goes several miles and through several gates. On a mountain bike, and as a novice, it was hard but I peddled the whole way. After you get beyond the forest service gate, the road continues and is follow able all the way to the end. Once beyond the gate, however, many people have been putting in work to add a single track mountain bike trail that weaves in and out of the trees and criss-crosses the road several times.

The whole trip transitions from open in to very wooded and covered. There are several stream crossings, some with bridges others not so if you are walking or biking, you will get wet. There were several parts where I had to get off and walk my bike, but I am an amateur with a cheap bike. It ends at a forest service site of some type, but I was in a hurry to get back so I did not take much time to take in the scenery at the end. The downhill on the way back, I followed the road all the way as opposed to the single track, and while a bit bumpy, I made it out in good time and made the climb worth it.