Big Rock Via Elephant Rock Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(711)
Mueller Park

Big Rock Via Elephant Rock Trail is a 7.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Bountiful, Utah that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.3 miles Elevation Gain: 1,095 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

Trailhead: Mueller Park Elevation: Mueller Park 5230; Elephant Rock 6255 Map: Fort Douglas 7.5 quadrangle Introduction: The Mueller Park trail is the quintessential easy-access trail. From neighborhood to trailhead in 500 feet, you can hit this trail before work, after work, or on a long lunch break. Your reward comes in the form of a riparian area, tranquil backcountry, a birds-eye view of Bountiful below, and a mix of hardwoods and conifers. Mueller Park trail is extremely popular in the summer. This trail winds across and up the mountain keeping the elevation gain manageable. The thick scrub oak provides anchors for the snow pack so avalanche danger ranks low. But perhaps the biggest plus of this trail is how quickly you exit the city and the resulting views. How to get there: From I-15 take the 315 exit. Head east on W 2600 South to Orchard Drive and continue straight. At 1800 South turn east and follow the road to its conclusionMueller Park. The trail begins before the fee booth. Cross the foot bridge to the south. Trail description: The trailhead is well marked and easy to find. Start by crossing the bridge. The trail passes next to Mill Creek for the first few hundred feet where it then begins to wind up the hill. The trail makes four wide sweeping .5 mile switchbacks as it climbs this north face of the mountain. After climbing the first .5 mile you'll be rewarded with views to the west of Bountiful and the Great Salt Lake; and again at .70 mile. At .75 mile the trail leaves the switchbacks and rounds the corner of the mountain heading south and east as it hugs the curves of the mountain. As it makes this turn you can look east and see the large grey blob of rock youre headed for: Elephant Rock. The trail continues to the east maintaining elevation between 5500 and 6000, winding in and out along the silhouette of the mountain as it leads toward Elephant Rock. The trail crosses a couple springs and bridges along the way. At 3.5 miles the trail forks. By going straight and toward the front of the mountain you will hit Elephant Rock, by heading up the mountain to the right/south you will head toward Rudys Flat and North Canyon. To return, follow your same path back. Options: Mueller Park Picnic Area, just east of the Mueller Park trailhead, closes during winter months. Mill Creek runs through the picnic area.

It’s called Big Rock. It isn’t Elephant Rock up Mueller. Elephant Rock is up North Canyon and actually looks like an elephant. Growing up in Bountiful there wasn’t any confusion back then. But now for some reason people have forgotten about the actual Elephant Rock.

I love this trail. I've done it 3 times in the last month. Now that it's hotter outside it is a bit more difficult and there's definitely more people on it. It is nicely shaded, has wildflowers, and great views. The incline isn't too mich either. I would classify this as an easy to slightly moderate trail. There was some muddy spots today, but they'll dry out quick. There a lot of moutain bikers who use this trail so if that bothers you maybe this one isn't for you.

Beautiful trail and views. Ran into lots of people and bikes. Quite a bit of shade. Would do again on a less busy day

Beautiful trail. Very green and flowers. I would rate it as easy. Family friendly. Not too steep of an incline the whole way.

Easy hike with a small incline the whole way up. Slightly crowded trail. But amazing flowers and gorgeous views. Pups loved it. Watch for bikers.

The dog and I loved this hike! The wildflowers were beautiful. I got to the trailhead about 8:30 and only ran into about 10 people on the way up. Much more on the way down. I would say this a pretty easy hike, considering it’s rated moderate. Very doable.

My daughter and I loved this trail. Beautiful views, full of shade which is good on summertime. Dog friendly.

Great hike today. We saw two wild turkeys, I think they were and deer. Trail was pretty empty as the conditions were rainy and muddy. Lots of mountain bikers.

Decent views for a moderate trail without too much incline. Rock is fun to climb out on.

One of my favorite trails! Great for the pups too.

Finally hiked all the way to Elephant Rock. It rained for about an hour or so while I was going up, but the trail is so packed down that it hardly gets muddy, so that's a plus. Very green this time of year, and a ton of wildflowers. There's a beautiful field full of false sunflowers about a half hour or so up. Was pretty quiet on the way down, as I was up there in the evening, so I saw a lot of birds and deer.

Went on this trail for the first time and the scenery is beautiful! It’s a long way to go but so beautiful!

Really nice hike with lots of green views and wildflowers. The trail is mostly shaded and very pleasant to walk along. It is narrow with a decent amount of mountain bikers, which makes it tricky to share.

This trail is good. It was my first trail with bike. So, I loved it. Mostly shade.

My sister introduced me to this trail and it never disappoints. Today it was so green with beautiful flowers everywhere! As she stated below, the crowds made it hard to social distance, but we did our best.

We had been wanting to do this hike for a while since it was close to home and had good reviews. So today we went for a date hike. Here is how it went: The Good: - Shade! When the trees get leaves on them, there is a lot of shade on this hike. - Water. There is a river down below that sounds beautiful, but there are also a number of small runoff creeks that you pass, so if you are desperate, you can get a cool drink. (sanitize it first!) - Easy slopes all the way up. The first part of switch backs is the hardest but even that was nothing much. Most of the hike is a gentle incline to Elephant rock. - Parking at the trail head is available, but today there were so many hikers, runners, bikers, dogs, that we had to park in the residential area and walk to the trailhead. - Trailhead is clearly marked. Just take the wood bridge to the right across the river before you enter the pay booth. The Not So Good: - Lots of people use this trail so it was very busy. - The hardest part of the hike was right at the end, after you past the bench and were hiking down to the rock...lots of dust made it very slippery. Bottom Line: I'm going to take my bike on this trail when I get the chance. Definitely going to do this one again!

This is one of my go-to hikes. I’ve hiked it in the spring, summer, fall, and winter multiple times and does not disappoint. It’s a steady incline, so it doesn’t feel difficult. Right now, it is hard with the crowds to social distance on the hike. The best time to go would be super early in the morning.

LOVED this hike! It's not super rocky, the trail is well maintained, has a very gradual incline, & has more shade than sun. Busy trail with hikers & bikers, but not so much that it's annoying. Gorgeous views even on the way up. The top has 2 benches at the top of a slope, so there really isn't a lot of room for people to be standing and enjoying the view. It took us a few hours because we took our time & it's a long hike, but it really didn't feel that long. Definitely worth it!

The hike itself was great. The first mile or so is the steepest, but then it levels off. I did lose a pair of Costa sunglasses somewhere on the last 1/4 the way up, so if any future hikers find them please let me know. 678-650-7696

The “elephant” rock was not much to look at, but the hike itself was very enjoyable!

My family and I do this trail at like 5 times a year. It is beautiful! It has great views, some water features, shaded areas and plenty of sun light and a super gradual, almost imperceptible, ascend. Love it, just be patient with mountain bikers.

Great trail! Easy 7.4 miles. Plenty of shade and the view is nice! The only drawback were the multiple mountain bikes. But they were all considerate, so it wasn’t a major issue.

Great family hike! Lots of traffic on a Saturday but it was nice seeing people out enjoying nature

We saw other hikers and bikers, but overall the trail was only mildly trafficked - just enough to social distance. The trail is covered with shade and has a mild incline, so it's very pleasant right now for a high-noon hike. Towards the end, it got muddy after the bridge but there was no snow on the trail itself. The wildflowers are aplenty right now!

Only got muddy 2/3 of the way up. Cool rock, bro.

This was a wonderful trail with a very gradual grade. It was muddy near the top, but not a big deal. There are 2 benches at the top to enjoy the view and the yellow wildflowers were blooming along the trail today. I was up and down in a little over 3 hours with a few breaks.

This is one of my favorite local trails. Today the hill sides were covered in yellow wild flowers. Upper parts got muddy, but still a beautiful hike.

My husband and I recently started hiking again, hoping to lose some weight. This trail wasn't too bad. Slight incline most of the way with some flat areas. It took us about 3.5 hours round trip with stops here and there to catch our breath. The last mile or 2 was pretty muddy and some areas had packed snow, but it didn't hinder our trip! We'll definitely be back!