Big Beacon Mount Wire Trail is a 7.6 kilometer heavily trafficked loop trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.6 km Elevation Gain: 637 m Route Type: Loop

Mt. Wire (commonly referred to as Big Beacon by locals) is one of the prominent foothill peaks due east of downtown Salt Lake City. Atop Mt. Wire is an old airway beacon, which you can climb should you desire an extra 25 feet of elevation. While Mt. Wire is a relatively low elevation peak, it is an outstanding spring hike of over 2,000 vertical feet with incredible views in every direction, rampant wildflowers, and wildlife that includes the occasional rattlesnake or mountain lion. In most years the peak can be hiked free of snow in April, and is an excellent tune up for the bigger mountains.

Go in the morning. Coyotes in the area. Great family hike. Tons of people.

This is a great moderate hike if you’re looking for something with amazing views! The trail is really busy up to the Living Room turnoff, but it gets more quiet after that. The trail is really well defined and consistently pitched. There’s not much shade in the last mile or so, so bring plenty of water!

This trail was awesome. It kicked my butt but I got to the top. Worth the view!

It’s a zoo until the Living Room Overlook, and then almost no one after that. Just plan on social distancing for the second half instead of the first. Beautiful sunflowers out and about.

Love this trail! It’s a fantastic hike for a group of intermediate hikers, but probably not beginners. There are a few steep grades as you get towards the top, but most of the trail is a consistent moderate climb. The view from the top is almost unbeatable in the valley, especially considering that you can get up in about an hour.

The climb up was super packed but once it broke off from living room it was pretty empty. Honestly we almost turned around because of how packed it was. Once we got to the peak we decided to go down the other side instead of out and back. Going down was steep and rocky so it was pretty slippery - very challenging for beginners.

Extra packed. Once the trail broke from the Living Room, it opened up.

I wish I was able to give this "trail" less than one star because it was just that terrible. I am taking time to write this because I feel like I need to warn society about the dangers of this hike. I am an athletic, young, talented girl and I fell 7 times on the way down the mountain. SEVEN. I am pretty sure that the trail was carved out by mountain goats because the path down was so incredibly unrealistic. The view at the top was actually way nice but it is no where near worth getting there. Before sliding down the side of the mountain on my hands and knees for half a mile I legitimately considered getting airlifted out because I was just that mentally and physically defeated. I would not wish this hike on my worst enemy it is torture I have many wounds and emotional scarring that is going to cost me thousands in therapy. The treacherous journey down the mountain was at about a 80 degree angle and there was only one kind of flower throughout the whole thing. Maybe the worst 4 hours of my life. Go ahead and do this "hike" if you have a death wish, I am confident that Everest is easier and safer.

Went today (4/11/20). One small patch of snow, and only one small muddy area. Good hike with the dog. Lots of loose rocks, so be careful if you trail run! Wasn’t too crowded at 9AM

Super muddy towards the top. Parts of the trail covered in snow. Fun on the way down cuz you can literally ski down if you get a good running start

icy

Really cool view at the top and there’s a tower you can climb if you want. But snowy for the last little part of it. Majority of the trail is pretty dry

3/27 SUPER muddy, spikes helpful after saddle

Most of the snow and mud is gone! Still recommend at least spikes for the Mt. Wire portion. Still some slushy snow there.

I took an alternate route to Living Room to avoid mud. Dry otherwise and only snow at the very top.

icy

Would definitely recommend spikes. Did not have any and almost fell a few times. I didn’t do the last half mile because I got the spookies. I was the only one on the trail after the fork for the living room and I was alone so I tend to not be as adventurous when it’s just me but it was so beautiful and super refreshing considering the recent covid-19 changes.