Big Beacon Mount Wire Trail

Big Beacon Mount Wire Trail is a 4.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

2093 feet

Mt. Wire (commonly referred to as Big Beacon by locals) is one of the prominent foothill peaks due east of downtown Salt Lake City. The peak is easily recognized by the two large reflector panels just south of the summit, used for transmitting telephone signals between Salt Lake and Park City. Atop Mt. Wire is an old airway beacon, which you can climb should you desire an extra 25 feet of elevation. While Mt. Wire is a relatively low elevation peak, it is an outstanding spring hike of over 2,000 vertical feet with incredible views in every direction, rampant wildflowers, and wildlife that includes the occasional rattlesnake or mountain lion. In most years the peak can be hiked free of snow in April, and is an excellent tune up for the bigger mountains.

Fun and low traffic once you get past the Living Room. Awesome view of the valley and the radio tower is a cool climb if you're up for it.

Hiked this today. I really enjoyed it! I feel a moderate rating is appropriate. It was an incline the entire way up so no flat areas, but it wasn't as grueling as some other hikes in the area. The last mile or so is steep and I felt myself resting more frequently. The elevation contributed to that as well.
There is a small tower a the summit that's fun/scary to climb. If you climb it though, you get an uninterrupted 360 degree view of the valley. Breathtaking. If you go in the fall you'll be rewarded with some beautiful foliage.

This was one of the most beautiful sunset hikes I've done! It's definitely very steep, and I slipped almost the whole way down but the sunset views were well worth it. It's pretty open for a majority of the hike but it does get pretty narrow/woodsy up one trail to the top. The living room is a great place to watch the sunset if you don't want to go all the way up.

So I reviewed this trail last summer, but it was so HOT and arid. However this morning a few of us got to the trailhead at 4:30am with our dogs ready to go! We got up to the top a few minutes before the sun was going to peek over the mountain, and it was glorious! I HIGHLY recommend this trail for a sunrise hike. I've hiked a really good amount of trails in the wasatch mountains, and I can't think of a better sunrise hike than this. AMAZING! We heard a bunch of coyotes going crazy when we got to the top. Also, don't do it that early alone because it's definitely a place where the mountain lions would love to hang. ;)

A small hiking umbrella would be a nice addition to the kit for this hike. The day I went, the Livingroom Trail section was sidewalk busy. Going higher, the crowds thinned out. Take a minimum of 2 litters of water for a hot day.

This hike is best for spring and fall. It get's very hot in the summer. Great views of the valley from the top and fun to climb up the radio tower. Very busy trail for the first 1/3 of the hike but once you pass the Living Room turn off it is pretty quiet.