Big Baldy Summit

Big Baldy Summit is a 7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Pleasant Grove, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Hike from Dry Canyon to the summit of Big Baldy.

13/Jan. Pretty views. Easy to see the trail. However, only 3/4 of the way has a trail, the rest will require some extra work. The snow is packed, even in hard to go places and the trail is wide enough to hike. Did not have snow pads, only winter boots and poles. Was sunny and no wind. Very silent. Many wild life trails. Enjoying hike!

Awesome views once you get on the top spine of the hike about a mile from the summit. Mount timp looks amazing from here and you can see the Wasatch front for miles in both directions

Super fun in winter!

Are you in shape? Let’s find out! Total workout! Down hill in fall sucks due to all the toe grabbers covered with leaves and steep trail . Bring a sack lunch and water.

Hiked up Dry Canyon to Big Baldy Saturday 13 Oct, beautiful day for hiking, started at 10am finished at 1:30pm. Last mile to saddle between Big Baldy and Timp is straight uphill, a heart pounder. Got our feet soaking wet coming down from the snow melt stream in the middle of the trail. Busy trail passed more than 8 groups.

Climbed it this last Saturday, 10/6. It was a little chilly with some light snow falling. It gets pretty rigorous and steep at some points. It was actually more scenic than I expected. The reason why I give it 4 stars is because the trail slopes inward at certain parts so on the way down it wreaks havock on the knees and ankles because with every step your legs want to fall inward. I enjoyed the hike overall, but will probably never do it again because of the rough, uneven trail.

This was particularly difficult for me and already want to go do it again. My wife and I wanted to go deep into the mountains and have gone up this trail before. We didn’t know we were on the Big Baldy trail until we met a couple that were on there way back and that was enough for us to give it a go. We wanted to quit a couple times but rallied to the end. Strongly suggest taking plenty of water and food.

First 2/3 of the hike is a bit so so, the last 1/3 is really pretty. The leaves have started changing colors.

brought 4 liters of water each and only drank 2 liters each, but I was grateful to have plenty. it is very hot, and there is no shade at the summit, hence "big baldy". the view was beautiful from the top, and the hike was worth it starting from battle creek.

We followed Michelle Argyle’s map which started the hike along Battle Creek and then crossed over to the Big Baldy summit route. The climb was strenuous but not technically difficult. The views from Big Baldy were nothing short of spectacular. Unfortunately, I think we may have been a little late for the very best wildflower showing but there was still plenty to see. Good workout. Glad we had poles for the descent.

The Battle Creek trail was fairly busy and rather noisy but once we got to the turning at mile 1.7, it became a very quiet and peaceful trail. We were the only ones at the summit.

The great: views from Big Baldy summit and upper trails

The good: the trail (especially as it became quieter) was pleasant. As usual, markings left a little to be desired.

The not so great or good: busy trail with lots of people at lower reaches; the first and last parts of the trail are on loose gravel or dirt and so one is constantly having to look down. The sun was very hot on the final mile or so of the descent - little shade - as the rocks reflect the heat.

Do this hike from the Battle Creek trail head. It's a little longer (10 miles) but maybe my favorite hike I've ever done.

No snow or mud left on the trails. Bring plenty of water and start early in the day. Decent was tougher than I would expect. Sliding on rocks can be a problem in a few spots.

This is a quad killer so be prepared for a lot of elevation. Today I wished I had trekking poles for the descent. Amazing views and there weren’t many people on the trail for a Saturday. There and back in a little over 3 hours.

Excellent hike, with a unrelenting grind for the elevation gain. As others have said, bring plenty of water and food, even if cooler weather, as you'll need it. Highly recommend poles for the decent, as it can be a bit tough on the knees coming down.

Really enjoyed this hike today. I like going up the Battle Creek Falls trail much better than the Dry Canyon trail. It's shadier and less steep. It is a little longer (~10 miles total), but I don't mind that.

Excellent hike, though VERY steep. Definitely get an early start as there isn’t much cover the last mile and the sun beats down at that altitude. Plus the dawn/sunrise views are breathtaking.

Hiked up. Trail ran down. Took some amazing pictures. So worth it!

My date and I started at Dry Canyon parking lot and kept to the main trail on the way up.
If I was to split the hike into thirds, I’d say there’s the approach which takes you past the main cliffs of Dry Canyon and up to the first real split. The right fork takes you to Little Baldy, the left takes you up to Big Baldy. Then the second third takes you up the valley that separates Little and Big and up to the spine of Big. Finally, the last third consists of hiking the back spine of Big Baldy until you summit. The second third is definitely the toughest portion. You’re very much just hiking in a straight shot up a big rain gutter - no switchbacks. Most of it is surrounded by oak brush until it starts to open up at the end before the spine, and you start to get rewarded with some pretty sweet views. There are a couple other turns to be aware of before you set off.
This hike is 78% of the elevation gain of summiting Timpanogos via the Timpooneke Trail, just to give you some perspective. My date and I summited in just under 3 hrs and descended in 1. It was a KILLER pace for us since it was our first real hike of the season. We hiked back down the way we came

Definitely recommend - just give yourself some more time than we did!

*BE AWARE* the point at which you turn left to head up the spine is obvious and is marked by a campfire. You can’t miss it.

Loved this hike. It was a bit of a butt kicker for only being 7 miles. We went up the back side then down the trail on the face. The way down was insanely steep and hard on the knees so I recommend sticking to the suggested route. Overall, a fun little hike!

Such a beautiful hike! We went up the front trail which was fairly steep but so worth it! We went back down the back way and saw many different types of water falls and a beautiful view of Timp on one side and Lake Utah on the other. Highly recommend to those who are in shape!

I’ve done this trail 15 times in the past year and a half from pretty much every trail. It’s a great summit, amazing views of the valley. If your going to do this make sure to bring lots of water and some food, it can be a strenuous hike. Other than that it’s best hiked I think in the early spring and late fall. On a side note if your up there for the sunset it gets fealty cold really fast. Happy hiking!

The Dry canyon trail makes this a very attainable summit! It was a good little hike with some decent elevation gains, not technical at all just gradual climbs.

if you're not in to steep trails, this probably isn't for you. it is a great little summit to get on top of while other mountains still have snow

We went on this hike a week ago. Started on the Dry Canyon Trail and went down battle Creek falls trail ending up in PG Canyon. Dry Canyon was pretty steep but much better than Battlefield Creek. It was well defined, and shaded some areas with beautiful views. Hiking to the summit was pretty easy compared to the rest of the hike. On the way down to battle Creek, a few switchbacks start the trail through some pines and a pretty meadow. Most of the way down you are close to the river. But then you cross it twice over some tree trunks. Further down the trail it gets reeeaallly narrow and steep. You end up at the Kiwanis park up main street in PG

It's about 8.2 miles this way. it took us quite a while because we had some younger kids with us, but they enjoyed it.

This is definitely an adult hike that would take between 5-8 hours easy. I would love to do it again. Planning on it in the spring.

Sunday, January 14, 2018

South ridge Rock's!!

Sunday, December 31, 2017

the dog and I summitted Big Baldy via the SW ridge trail..very steep...2 or 3 false summits and we made it! Some deep snow on top, but packed down nicely..we descended the Dry Canyon trail and I was thankful to have poles - there's a mix of snow and ice and mud currently and I was half sliding half walking down the steep parts..great hike..worn out

Monday, December 04, 2017

Dry Creek trail was well signed except for the first fork to Little Baldy Trail.
Little Baldy had no signs and lots of trails crossing/splits. Stick to the most worn path.

Saturday, September 09, 2017

Great hike with amazing views. It was a little steep but well worth it. No rocks to sit on at the summit to eat lunch on but I'd do it again

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Went on the dry canyon side. Pretty steep, but good views and a good workout. Probably wouldn't do it again.

Saturday, August 19, 2017