Beus Canyon Trail

Beus Canyon Trail is a 6.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Ogden, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

The Beus Canyon Trail is part of the Great Western Trail. The Beus Canyon segment runs from the east side of Ogden City up to a saddle just south of Mt Ogden Peak. The lower part of the trail is easy as it climbs to the mouth of Beus Canyon, where it intersects the Bonneville Shoreline Trail. The trail continues along Beus Creek until it reaches a small meadow where the canyon forks. This meadow is locally known as Fern Valley, for obvious reasons. From there the trail continues along the south fork of the stream and then climbs the ridge between Beus Canyon and Birch Canyon to the south. The trail continues to climb at a steep pitch as it goes north to the head of Beus Creek. From there, follow rock cairns to the saddle just south of Mount Ogden Peak.

Took longer than expected but worth the views. Bring water and snacks. Snowpack made some parts a little challenging.

Really good day hike if you go 1.6 miles and back really beautiful green. Remembes me of a jungle. After 1.6 miles it raps around and fallows The top all the way to Mount Ogden. Warning not much water after 1.6 miles recommend boiling or filtration.

Rattlesnakes are out already.

Easy to follow trail, overgrown and rougher terrain after the crossing around mile 2. The saddle is 2 miles further than shown, but significant snow fields make the trail invisible for now.

Great hike

no matter the season this is always an amazing worthwhile hike

Good hike. Will try again in the Spring.

I love this trail! Indescribably beautiful in the winter and not a soul in sight! ❤️

Beautiful and peaceful! Got stopped by snow after 2 miles. Not deep, but I’m not equipped for snow and it was getting slick. Someday I hope to make it to the top!

It took me three tries to complete this hike from trailhead to Snow Basin. First two times I was stopped by the snow and third time finished but ran out of water. Took the gondola down from the top and called for a ride from there. Beautiful hike but second half is completely open with no trees or shade. I did this hike in early September. If I did it again, I would wait until late September or early October.

Didn’t go far in but enjoyed the hike. Sunday was quiet but parking is limited.

Such a gorgeous hike. It was hard and I only was able to go up about 3/4 a mile due to time but I loved it.

This trails is on my favorites list. So beautiful!

My lady friend and I hike up Beus to the top of Mt Ogden, then down Malan Canyon down to 27th street. Holy Moly! Will be an all-time hike. Tough but rewarding. The decent down Malan is crazy. We ran out of water above the old Malan settlement. Thankfully found water about an hour later at the spring below Malan. Water is pouring from the mountain and you will hear the waterfall. It's just a little off the main trail. We had an adventure for the books! 11.5 miles, 4500' of vert.

Pretty difficult trail, I think we got off the trail a little bit but it was beautiful at the top and worth it!! Oh yea a lot of brush and overgrow!!

So fun and absolutely beautiful!!

Saturday, July 01, 2017

A lot of fun! The trail is overgrown in places, but don't let that deter you. Once you get above the timberline, you are traversing a beautiful alpine meadow with flowers and waterfalls. The view from the top is also great! Bring plenty of water, your total trip will at least take 5.5-6hrs.

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

What a hike! I was exhausted after we completed this hike but it was so worth it. It took about five hours to complete the hike and the gondola ride down to the parking lot was a life saver. Great way to see how in shape you are.

Monday, May 15, 2017

I got stopped by snow almost at the end. I love this different trail! I did see a large rattlesnake on the way back down. I wish people would keep there dogs on leash!

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Great hike. Sweet views. Still really snowy. The last mile or so - don't go unless you have snow shoes, or a hiking stick/pole. It gets pretty steep and slippery on the snow. Would love to do it in the summer.

Saturday, April 15, 2017

This is a good hike!

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Took this trail to the top of Mount Ogden last fall. The views were awesome. It's a long hike but worth it if you're in to that sort of thing.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

This trail is amazing. I had a great time conquering Mount Ogden. It was challenging and really overgrown at points. I had to crawl under and climb over a lot of brush. Still a whole lot of snow once you get near the peak. Stay safe/have fun.

Thursday, March 09, 2017

Great trail. Unremittingly up!!

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

this is a fun, yet challenging hike/snowshoeing trail.

Monday, September 05, 2016

Great hike, I love the views

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Over grown a bit. Saw a few snakes on the south face, one was a rattler (heard it before I saw it, luckily). Good shade for the first half, then fairly exposed once you get on the south face. Good trail all the way up to Mt. Ogden. Interesting history.

Saturday, May 21, 2016

It is such a beautiful trail!! There's lots of variation between steep parts of the trail and breaks.

Friday, April 22, 2016

I hiked this last weekend (4-15-16) and ran into some deep snow about 1.5 miles in. At 2 miles I turned around because I was falling about knee deep with every step. I was still enjoyed the hike and had some great views. I only ran into one other person when I was on my way out.

Saturday, February 27, 2016

We went today and weather was 57 degrees in Ogden. Beautiful but only went halfway since the snow was melting and kept falling through and wearing shorts. Will go again and also will do a summer hike up here