Beus Canyon Trail is a 6.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Ogden, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

The Beus Canyon Trail is part of the Great Western Trail. The Beus Canyon segment runs from the east side of Ogden City up to a saddle just south of Mt Ogden Peak. The lower part of the trail is easy as it climbs to the mouth of Beus Canyon, where it intersects the Bonneville Shoreline Trail. The trail continues along Beus Creek until it reaches a small meadow where the canyon forks. This meadow is locally known as Fern Valley, for obvious reasons. From there the trail continues along the south fork of the stream and then climbs the ridge between Beus Canyon and Birch Canyon to the south. The trail continues to climb at a steep pitch as it goes north to the head of Beus Creek. From there, follow rock cairns to the saddle just south of Mount Ogden Peak.

A little scratchy but a nice trail

We used this route to go get a beer at blues brews and BBQ at snow basin! Great hike♥️

One of my favorite hikes but I have seen rattlesnakes all summer on this trail.

this is a really beautiful hike. the fern forest is kind of amazing. the flowers were mostly spent, but still pretty. trail is pretty tight in some areas, but well worth the work when you take in the views. would definitely do again.

I wouldn't do this trail again.

We are in pretty great shape, but my wife wanted to turn back with about 2 miles left because we didn't know if we'd have a better route back down.

I liked how hard the trail was and could have completed, but this trail had a lot of challenges midway through that were not our favorite:

- The swarms of wasps was disconcerting and too frequent for our liking. It made it difficult to enjoy the light stream at all.
- The first overgrowth section was about a mile of swatting bushes out of your face.
- The second overgrowth was several miles in and it was low shrubbery that tore up your legs.
- The scenery and "wildflowers" were pretty blah.

If you're going for a challenging hike, enjoy overlooks, and are well equipped for the rough terrain, and don't mind a lot of overgrowth on your hike, enjoy!

*We hiked just under 10 miles total of this trail according to Google Fit.

Awesome trail, lots of shade. About a mile up it opens up a bit with a ton of ferns that guard the path tightly for half a mile or so. I would like to go all the up and take Malans down. Looks like 10 miles and 4800 ft up

Took longer than expected but worth the views. Bring water and snacks. Snowpack made some parts a little challenging.

Really good day hike if you go 1.6 miles and back really beautiful green. Reminds me of a jungle. After 1.6 miles it raps around and fallows The top all the way to Mount Ogden. Warning not much water after 1.6 miles recommend boiling or filtration.

Rattlesnakes are out already.

Easy to follow trail, overgrown and rougher terrain after the crossing around mile 2. The saddle is 2 miles further than shown, but significant snow fields make the trail invisible for now.

Great hike

no matter the season this is always an amazing worthwhile hike

Good hike. Will try again in the Spring.

I love this trail! Indescribably beautiful in the winter and not a soul in sight! ❤️

Beautiful and peaceful! Got stopped by snow after 2 miles. Not deep, but I’m not equipped for snow and it was getting slick. Someday I hope to make it to the top!

Sunday, October 29, 2017

It took me three tries to complete this hike from trailhead to Snow Basin. First two times I was stopped by the snow and third time finished but ran out of water. Took the gondola down from the top and called for a ride from there. Beautiful hike but second half is completely open with no trees or shade. I did this hike in early September. If I did it again, I would wait until late September or early October.

Sunday, October 08, 2017

Didn’t go far in but enjoyed the hike. Sunday was quiet but parking is limited.

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Such a gorgeous hike. It was hard and I only was able to go up about 3/4 a mile due to time but I loved it.

Sunday, September 24, 2017

This trails is on my favorites list. So beautiful!

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

My lady friend and I hike up Beus to the top of Mt Ogden, then down Malan Canyon down to 27th street. Holy Moly! Will be an all-time hike. Tough but rewarding. The decent down Malan is crazy. We ran out of water above the old Malan settlement. Thankfully found water about an hour later at the spring below Malan. Water is pouring from the mountain and you will hear the waterfall. It's just a little off the main trail. We had an adventure for the books! 11.5 miles, 4500' of vert.

Friday, August 18, 2017

Pretty difficult trail, I think we got off the trail a little bit but it was beautiful at the top and worth it!! Oh yea a lot of brush and overgrow!!

Saturday, August 12, 2017

So fun and absolutely beautiful!!

Saturday, July 01, 2017

A lot of fun! The trail is overgrown in places, but don't let that deter you. Once you get above the timberline, you are traversing a beautiful alpine meadow with flowers and waterfalls. The view from the top is also great! Bring plenty of water, your total trip will at least take 5.5-6hrs.

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

What a hike! I was exhausted after we completed this hike but it was so worth it. It took about five hours to complete the hike and the gondola ride down to the parking lot was a life saver. Great way to see how in shape you are.

Monday, May 15, 2017

I got stopped by snow almost at the end. I love this different trail! I did see a large rattlesnake on the way back down. I wish people would keep there dogs on leash!

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Great hike. Sweet views. Still really snowy. The last mile or so - don't go unless you have snow shoes, or a hiking stick/pole. It gets pretty steep and slippery on the snow. Would love to do it in the summer.

Saturday, April 15, 2017

This is a good hike!

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Took this trail to the top of Mount Ogden last fall. The views were awesome. It's a long hike but worth it if you're in to that sort of thing.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

This trail is amazing. I had a great time conquering Mount Ogden. It was challenging and really overgrown at points. I had to crawl under and climb over a lot of brush. Still a whole lot of snow once you get near the peak. Stay safe/have fun.