Ben Lomond Peak via North Skyline Trail

Ben Lomond Peak via North Skyline Trail is a 14.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Ogden, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 14.9 miles Elevation Gain: 3,618 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Starting location is the North Ogden Divide Trailhead.

Great trail! You’ll feel an awesome sense of accomplishment after completing it! We did it for our 21st wedding anniversary (Nov 5). We took our two doggies with us. We started early (7:45am) and the trail was fine. You hit stretches of snow after about 2 miles. No snowshoes required. The ground with no snow was frozen on the way up but very muddy on the way down. More snow at top (knee deep) but we followed tracks that were there from past hiker (Didn’t need snowshoes here either). It was a sunny and beautiful day. Trail was easy to follow.

super find

The hike was beautiful. Amazing views from both sides. We were lucky enough to see goats at the very top. My watch tracked us about 8 miles to the top, a little further than what we thought. If you go up about 5 miles you would still have amazing views. Took us 4 hours to the top.

shady in some areas and pity on the open the rest of the time. Long trail

Lots of exposure and tons of motor bikes. Although a good workout, one time is enough for me. Better hikes with less annoyances all around. Also, pack plenty of water, no where no reload on entire hike

My favorite trail in the Ogden area. The climb is long and gradual and only really gets tough in the last 0.5 miles to the summit. Once you finish the switchback section at the start, the views really open up and is very scenic all the way to the top. Took me a bit over 2.5 hours round trip running most of the way.

Great views on either side! We saw about 20 mountain goats on the west side. Gradual ascent the entire way.

Thought I would try something a little different this year. Not a good idea. My son-in-law had never been up here so I thought why not take him on a full blown adventure. I wanted to hit Ben Lomond, Willard Peak, and then out to the Flag in Willard and try to make our though hike end up in Willard Canyon. Most of the day went smooth, but when it came to pick a path down into Willard Canyon, the brush was extremely thick this year and couldn't even really find a good game trail. Finally made it to the creek in Willard Canyon which quickly turn into a pretty sketchy slot. Hey it was and adventure and 16 exhausting mile later we were done and soaked to the bone.

Great trail with excellent views of Weber county and Ogden valley. We clocked 8.4 miles from North Ogden divide to the peak. (1.4 miles from the saddle to the peak.) Except for a few spots, the grade is mild and very manageable.

Still some nice wild flowers about 4 miles into the hike. 8/25/2019

A big take always from this hike, bring more water than you think you’ll need. I ran out with a few miles left, not a good idea. If you start in the morning, you’ll be in direct sun for the rest of the day. Also, the roar of the motorbikes take away from the pristine environment. Still a very challenging long hike but very epic in its own way.

Constant breath-taking beauty, without it being a breath-stealing hike. The incline is very steady and continuous, but totally doable, even carrying on a conversation, but, it is VERY long! Carry plenty of water! I also strongly recommend a head-lamp or flashlight if doing the whole trip. One of the best "view hikes" ever!

Great trail on the way up. About a mile from the top we had to stop do to three moose hanging out on the trail. Waited about 45 minutes for them to leave but decided to just call it a day and headed back down.

this hike slaps y’all should do it

Great trail to take very early, before it heats up, or late on a summer evening as the start of the trail has a southern exposure with out much shade. Once the trail crests the ridge and turns north, the trail conditions improve from loose limestone to smooth dirt. Once you reach the summit ridge and crest over to the West side (with views of Ogden and the Great Salt Lake), the trail flattens our for the most part and runs just below the ride towards the peak before a few more short switchbacks as you reach the saddle where the trail joins with the North Fork trail. At this point you can choose to continue on the Ben Lomond Summit on a series of loose and steep switchbacks, and/or travel West to summit the talker WILLARD Peak, or turn around and descend via the trail on which you arrived or descend via the North Fork trail (which will NOT return you to your start point, but drop you down to North Fork Park, Mike’s from your start point.) Great trail with a very good chance of seeing wildlife including: deer, mountain goats, or possibly black bears (which are extremely rare sightings). Trail running is fun but take plenty of water. Mountain biking is also fun because of the long consistent downhill descent! Cell service is usually good in all locations.

Hiked it on July 24, hit a couple snow fields at the top :) and saw a bull moose on the way down.

Hiked it 7/20/19. I got to the trailhead at 6:30AM and the parking lot was full. I parked right outside the lot though where there’s a wide shoulder. The hike up was really pleasant and beautiful at that hour. Still some slippery snow fields to cross near the top of the peak, and some sections of water running down the trail. Making the trek back down between 10 and 1 was pretty miserable in the heat. Lots of trail runners, mountain bikers, and dirt bikers. Everyone was respectful. Great hike!!!

Great hike! Had to scramble around some snow on the ending switchbacks. Beautiful at the top. Tons of butterflys and dragonflys everywhere. Really not steep at all, just long gradually inclined switchbacks. A little long but definitely worth the trip!

Great trail. It's steep but worth it. We only went 3 miles up since we started late. Beautiful wildflowers everywhere and the views were spectacular of Ogden and the valley. I consider this trail as one of the best!

We only intended to climb to the top of the switchbacks today. Great views of the valley and of Ogden. You can see the top of Mount Ogden from the top. Very rocky on most of the trail, like walking on marbles. Beautiful hike though. The trail was dry. We saw a rubber boa snake, cool to see, non venomous. Hard steep climb but we liked it.

Gorgeous, the dog gave up on the way back but I'll definitely be doing this again. It did get a little sketchy at one point from slip.

Did 14.4 miles in 4:40. I went 7.2 miles up before I was forced to turn around...just no safe way to make it the last 0.3 miles to the peak safely as it was a steep soft snow slope to climb the rest. I was sad to go that far but not to reach the actual peak. So close! This isn't my favorite hike this time of year. Just too much snow, unclearpath, mud, muck, snow runoff on the trail. The first 3.5 miles were great and pretty, but the next 4 miles have diminishing returns as far as pretty trails go. The rest was pretty scruffy looking and poor trail conditions. I would instead suggest Hidden Valley and Taylor Canyon this time of year instead. It was such a pretty and great hike overall.