Bells Canyon Trail to Lower Falls

Bells Canyon Trail to Lower Falls is a 6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sandy, Utah that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September.

The last half mile is a killer (I was NOT prepared, it was my first time hiking it). It took me almost two hours to get to the falls. Wear spikes and bring poles because it is slick. All in all I enjoyed it! I want to hike it in the summer, which I hear is harder because you don't have the snow to protect you from the rocky trail.

I was not prepared for how rocky this was. however, I had a great sense of accomplishment when I got to the falls!

This hike is great in the winter. Got to the waterfall just before dark. I recommend hiking down in the dark. Peaceful and a nice view of the city when there is no smog of course.

We had a great time on this trail. The trail was packed pretty well up to the first falls but wearing spikes helped from sliding backwards. After that the trail takes a sharp turn up and to the right which became less and less packed as we went. We brought snow shoes and switched to using those at this point in the trail. We used trekking poles the whole time though. With the warm weather today on our way back down the snow became heavy, wet and slippery.

This hike was beautiful with all the snow this morning. I was the first on the trail with all the fresh powder from the snow. The lower falls was had so much snow coverage that you could only hear the water trickle down. Beautiful untouched snow! Couldn’t go much farther than the first falls. Highly recommend for some stunning views!

I hiked this in just boots, although I would have felt safer with spikes on too. This was a cool hike in the winter.

12/1/18
Today was the first time I hiked this trail, and, Wow!!! I have hiked a lot in Arizona, and I’m getting started on Utah hiking. This was easily one of my favorite hikes ever. The snow made it especially scenic and challenging. I went to the lower falls, then I went even farther up. I just couldn’t get enough of this trail. Note that everything beyond the WATERFALL sign gets pretty tricky in the snow.
Definitely recommend this hike to anyone who is up for the challenge.

A beautiful, quickly ascending hike. If you're doing this much work, I recommend Upper Bells Canyon as well. A shocking number of people have died slipping at these falls. Good boots and caution are an obvious necessity.

I hike this trail regularly I don't think the distance or elevation gain is currently correct. it is about 4.5-5mile round trip and about 1500-1600 ft elevation gain. I hiked 3 days ago and the last section is slick, you should bring hiking poles, a branch, yack trax, or snow shoes if you are going to hike in the storm tomorrow

A beautiful hike! The trail is covered with snow, so it is a bit slick in places - especially above the Lower Falls side trail. Definitely want to go back and hike all the way to the reservoir!

I hiked this again yesterday. Beautiful hike as always. The rivers and falls are now frozen. Adds a whole new beauty to this hike. Better hike if you go across the bridge and head up and around the back of the lake.

Hey, I got old knees. They sure did get a work out! This hike can be strenuous, but the payoff is incredible. The water fall is frozen with small trickles of water running through the icicles. Breathtaking! Busy trail with friendly people. Question? -trail runners, man or machine?

The first and third miles are hard. And fabulous!!! The last 3/4 mile is steep rock, which is kind of hard to get down. Loved this hike! Took 80 minutes up and 70 minutes down. Two navigation notes: at the first landing (above the lake), go left. And up at the river go left (over the bridge).

Love!!!! Going up, it didn't get hard until the last 3/4 of a mile when it gets steep. It took me just under 2 hours to get up and I didn't take a real break until I got to that steep part. Trek poles really helped save my knees coming down.

More of a moderate hike, comparatively. beautiful all the way up, great changes in scenery, good workout, easy to run up&down (other than the last mile), and good anytime of the year!

My favorite hike ever

beautiful the entire way up. the landscape changes when you reach the lake and again when you start heading up the canyon. the leaves are stunning this time of year, and there was even a little snow. the falls were gorgeous (also had some snow and ice), absolutely worth it. I'd definitely be willing to do this one again.

the last mile is quite steep, more so than the stretch leading up to the lake. it was such a good leg workout. ;) you're looking at over 1000 ft elevation gain the last mile, so be prepared for that.

Beautiful trial and scenery For sure I’ll do it again!!

First time on this trail and it definitely does not disappoint. A little more difficult than I wanted due to my son and I packing out camping gear as well, but had a great time and will do it again.

Love this hike. Super quick, only hard for about a mile tops. Gives you lots of time to chill there. Done this so many times can’t count. Ha

Such a beautiful hike! The last stretch is just as they say: steep and rocky. But the hike is worth it.

The last few reviews were very accurate. Highly recommend this hike.

Beautiful, I was not expecting to go this route but when a sign say waterfalls you have to take it. It does get a little intense but if I can do it anyone can. It’s worth the trek it took me just shy of four hours to go up and back down. I did round the lower resinous just to wrap it up but very worth it.

Great trail if you’re looking for an intense exercise going up some really rocky and dirt trails. It consists of going up the initial peak from the trailhead, which leads to a path surrounding a small, dried-up lake. My friend and I went left from there, where we hit a few side-trails that went further into the forest (probably to get closer to the lake), up to where we find a sign that marked where the waterfall trail actually begins.

From that sign, we ascended upwards through some forest that offered some scenic water/stream views, and after much progress, the trail becomes extremely rocky and treacherous. Be sure to take many breaks and bring tons of water. Eventually you’ll make it high enough where the trail veers to the side, where you’ll have to traverse both dirt and rock to make it to the actual waterfall.

Thankfully the trail isn’t too bad going down, but be very careful of your footing because it’s easy to slip when stepping on loose dirt and gravel.

All in all, good trail, but I would only come back for the sidetrails and wildlife instead of going all the way back to the waterfall.

I found it to to be a good amount of challenge with great views as the pay off. Took a little over 4 hours round trip but I have not done much hiking this year so I’m not in the best shape. We went at about 8:30 and the bugs were not bad at all. It’s really nice that there are places to sit and rest once you get to the falls. Great views of the city as well. My garmen showed about 5,5 miles to lower falls.

The trail leading up is extreme, it inclined so fast and steep. There is a lot of rocks and things you need to climb over. It’s beautiful, pace yourself and you should be good.

This hike never disappoints. Beautiful fall colors this time of year.

This hike is deceiving, if you want to see a waterfall you have to go up an extra .7 ass kicking climb beyond the 2.2 miles in the app description. The app map has you going all that way so there measurement of miles is incorrect. At 2.2 there was a nice stream but nothing I would call a waterfall, may just be time of year as the water levels are low. We were happy we did it, but may have thought twice if we had a correct map or started earlier.

beautiful and worth the effort. Last leg is an ass kicker very satisfying!