Bells Canyon Trail to Lower Falls

HARD 1,208 reviews

Bells Canyon Trail to Lower Falls is a 4.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sandy, Utah that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September.

Once you get past the lake, the trail is much more fun and the waterfall and surrounding canyon walls are stunning. I wouldn't rate this as difficult especially compared to Mt Olympus..

Worthy of a visit. It's a very simple, well-worn trail to follow and there are some nice views at the falls. You won't be disappointed

I went about a month ago and my mom's friend tore a ligament plus the hike is not moderate at all it is really hard.

This trail is a strenuous one. It’s nearly a mile from the parking lot to the trailhead, so plan accordingly. The temps were right around 100 in early July, so bring plenty of water. Steep steps and large rocks are prevalent for much of the hike, but the waterfall is a beautiful destination. The upper portion is even steeper than the lower, but it’s worth the wobbly legs you’ll have at the end of the hike!

Beautiful trail! The lake is gorgeous. Highly recommend.

beautiful, shaded, and not too long. I was able to get up to the falls after work in the evening and race the sunset back down the mountain in just a couple of hours. gorgeous views and it was too crowded on a Friday night.

Amazing trail! Pretty easy until the last part to the falls. I did see a mountain lion on the trail a while back. Probably not there anymore and very unlikely to see one, but be cautious!

Very nice hike with great views over the city for the first part. Definitely worth going all the way to the falls! The trail isn’t perfectly marked, but it not difficult to follow.

This trail is rated at a hard but we did this on July 4th and it was relatively easy until you got to the last half mile. The last half mile is kind of steep but the water fall at the end is totally worth it.

The trail is beautiful. It is difficult but the waterfalls are awsome. Really enjoyed this beautiful trail. Should take plenty of water as during hiking you will not find drinking water.

This is always one of my favorite go to hikes. It is always a killer after the long lazy winter but always worth it.

This trail kicked my butt since I haven’t been hiking in a long time, but I loved it! Hard, but will be easier next time ;) waterfall was beautiful and very refreshing

This was a really cool trail! Loved the reservoir, and the hike! The waterfall was gorgeous. The map was hard to follow, and we got lost more than once. But definitely a beautiful hike!

This hike is torture but fully worth it. Take lots of water stay warm and prepare for climbing and steep areas. Be prepare and make sure to stay hydrated!

I hiked to the falls this morning and it was so beautiful. The first half mile and the last half mile before the falls were very steep. It really got my legs burning. My GPS said it was more like 1.7 miles from the sign that says 1.2 miles to the falls.

Heart rate up!

Something for everyone!

Rigorous hike. Beautiful waterway. You've got to spend time on top of the falls! There are some crystal clear pools to cool your feet in, rest, hydrate, have a bite, and just take it all in. I also highly recommend exploring the river off trail from the bottom of the falls.

4 stars because the trail to the reservoir isn't very fun. However everything after that is so beautiful and the end result is wonderful. Take time at the end to explore above the waterfall. There are pretty pools and other beautiful water features. The last probably 1/3 of a mile is very steep, but it is nice and shaded.

First time hiking to the falls and I felt like it was fairly well marked, although I kept asking those coming down just to be safe. The trail is actually pretty easy until maybe the last half mile. The waterfall and views are beautiful!! Took me and a friend a few hours round trip with some stops.

I left my toddler's small, blue and yellow flip flops somewhere along the trail between granite trailhead and the reservoir. I uploaded a photo of the shoes in the photos. If anyone finds them, please text me at 801-653-0403!! Thank you:)

great trail the reservoir was super beautiful. the trail is not too hard, it is actually pretty easy.

Arrived mid-day at the parking lot at the trailhead and no spots. Was told there was a overflow lot about 200 yards up the road which was empty. Great hike and good leg workout the last 1/5 mile up to the falls. The second 1/2 of the trail was well covered and protection from the mid-day sun. A lot of water coming over the falls made a good sight as well as cooling mist. Overall, highly recommend it.
***NOTE: There were a good number of other hikers on the trail but there were enough with poor etiquette that took away from the enjoyment of many: 1) don't play your music - especially at high volume so we can hear you 100 yards away, 2) leave no trace (don't carve names, don't drop your trash...), 3) descending hikers have the right of way

My GPS hiking watch had us at 6 miles by the end. Definitely seems like the measurements here are iffy. Fantastic hike, though. Last mile or so is almost completely uphill, with the final stretch VERY steep and rocky. It's definitely a workout, but well worth it. I hiked this with my 10 and 12 year old sister and brother, and they did great. Waterfall and views are gorgeous. We hiked Saturday from 1-5 pm and there were definitely others on the trail but not enough to cause inconvenience to our hike or anything.

I have to say that anyone for the most part(people transplanting from other states) if you are giving hikes a 1 star rating, you obviously are not able to see any beauty in most things. Go back to Jersey(you know who you are) And quit polluting our state(people from Cali) you also know who you are. Utah has been one of America’s best kept secrets for a long time. How about you respect it and see it for what it truly is.

This hike was gorgeous! We started at about 7pm from the Bells Canyon Granite Trailhead and it took until about 8:30 to get to the Lower Falls. Didn't stay long there because we only had another 30 minutes of daylight. Got back to trailhead at about 9:45 though when you head back down you're still in the direction of the light. Definitely recommend a hat for non-shady parts as well as bug repellant. A hiking pole is helpful but not completely necessary. Great workout and definitely worth it. Also NO DOGS allowed on this trail.

This hike was jaw droppingly gorgeous. I couldn't believe how big the payoff was to get to the top. Make sure to take your time and explore the different paths at the beginning; almost all of them lead to the top.

more demanding than expected, well worth it

The first part of the hike has no shade so make sure you have lots of water. Once you pass the small lake it really gets pretty. Great views and fun family hike.

43t3