Bells Canyon Trail to Lower Falls

HARD 1,080 reviews

Bells Canyon Trail to Lower Falls is a 4.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Sandy, Utah that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September.

1 hour ago

Great hike to lower water falls. No snow on the trail. Lots of water going over the water fall. Did this with 8 and 10 year old. Last half mile is more step, but not to bad.

Perfect little hike for awesome views of the salt lake valley. Gorgeous trail. I started on the northern trailhead, just below the mouth of little Cottonwood canyon. Steeper than the other southern side but I like his end more

It feels farther than it is, but it's an enjoyable hike and totally worth it!

Would definitely rate it as moderate and not hard. Beautiful views!

Hard but totally worth it!! Be prepare to be sore the next day, and drink a lot water.

The waterfall is insanely amazing and breathtaking. Worth every difficult step (especially the last part).
I was planning on 4.4, but somehow ended up with 6 miles round trip. I’m not sure if there’s an entrance that I missed at a different spot. Six miles made it quite long, and we had kids with us. We got so far committed, we couldn’t turn back, but t proved to be difficult with young ones.
Definitely worth it!!

Bells Canyon Trail was my first ever hike in Utah, first mountain land and VERY FIRST WATERFALL!! The views are good at first but there are houses just a few hundred yards away. However, they get more and more amazing as you pass the lake and the stream. Once you get closer to the falls the hike becomes pretty steep but it’s worth it. Amazing place all around.

From the start of the South trailhead near Pepperwood, our distance totalled JUST UNDER 6 MILES ROUNDTRIP, definitely not 4.4...though I see the map to this uses the other trail start... Just be aware! We do this hike about once a year and love it. VERY clean (good job picking up your trash, everyone!)
Its basically the kitchen sink of hikes...steep stepping, nice smooth forest trail, some safe scrambling, scrub oak, pine forest, desert, shaded creekside trail, bridges, a fun reservoir, beautiful wildflowers, AND OF COURSE THE GORGEOUS WATERFALL! We did this with my brother and sister in law with our combined 5 kids. Our 3 year olds were very very slow and had multiple meltdowns, but we made it...in about 6 miserable hours, but that view is SO worth it! We hike very often, though, and I'm not sure I would recommend this to other familes with young kids, unless you're ready to help carry them! For most, the reservoir is a great destination with plenty of accomplishment.

Fun, quick, and fairly easy hike. Lots of shade but I’d still recommend bringing sunscreen. The cold water from the river makes it cooler as well. Parking is a little bit limited so going earlier in the morning or on a Sunday allows you to avoid the crowds which can limit your pace both up and down the hike. All around a great hike to get your legs burning and help work up to bigger trails like Mount Olympus or Ben Lomond.

Views are gorgeous. The last quarter mile to the falls is an absolute booty burner, but it’s definitely worth it once you get to the top. Fair amount of rocks. I would recommend shoes with decent traction and support.

Still my favorite one! Beautiful view during your entire hike!

This was a great leg workout for sure!

Amazing canyon view. Mission completed.

Love this place . The waterfall was definitely the hi-light. :)

Don't do this trail after a leg day! Lots of elevation gain in a short distance so prepare for that. I do this trail every year. The view and the waterfall are gorgeous!

Difficult climb up to the falls but worth the effort. The falls are spectacular and you also get a nice view out amongst the valley. Bring plenty of water and some trail snacks.

It's a very rocky trail in some places, but very rewarding. the Falls and View of the Valley are gorgeous.

Hiked up last Sunday (started about 10am) it was warm but not too bad. Last bit was steep and I had to stop a few times to catch my breath but once you make it past there and you start getting closer to the falls it gets much easier and cooler temperature wise. Definitely worth pushing through the hard part. Plenty to look at once you get there.

The lower falls are beautiful. It was worth the 2 miles over 1,500 feet elevation. It was my first hike of the season and it kicked my butt. The entire trail is covered in large rocks which was a pain so that’s why it looses a star.

Very hard for non-hikers!

It’s fairly steep at places with large rocks, but the trip is worth it. Amazing to have this so close to town. Parking lot was full on a Tues late morning when we arrived and still full when we left early afternoon. When you get to reservoir, take trail to the left.

Breathtaking views. The parking lot was at capacity on a Monday morning. The trail is well maintained and easy to follow. It’s pretty steep and a few stretches required some boulder climbing. At 50 something, I was glad to have my poles to take some stress off my knees. The Falls are spectacular and there were several groups of hikers soaking up the scenery and stopping for lunch.

Really nice hike. We had so much fun today. The last
.7 miles is the worst part. It is straight uphill and feels never ending. The few of the waterfall is incredible!!

Great trail. Pretty good workout going up to the waterfall which is amazing. Once you get to the waterfall go down a bit to the rocks. You can an amazing view of the canyon and SLC. Great place to relax for a bit. I would definitely do this hike again.

Worth the work

We absolutely loved this trail! The reservoir was peaceful and the hike to the lower falls was challenging. We didn’t have our trekking poles which might have helped, but we made it. Very rocky and steep as you get near the falls so be prepared to work, but the payoff was amazing. Not huge crowds on a weekday late morning, but I suspect that changes on weekends.

Hiked it yesterday before the rain came in. Trails were dry, we ran into a little snow in a 20-25 foot section before the turn off to the Falls. The Falls were beautiful and full!

I went last Saturday and it was perfect weather. This is my favorite hike. I have done it several times. Moderately challenging, good combination of flat, rocky, and steep areas, and absolutely beautiful! Plus, your reward is an amazing waterfall and plenty of places up top to lay down and relax. I brought a book and coffee and stayed for several hours. Highly recommend it!

Beautiful trail! My 9 & 11 yr olds made the hike with me and my recording said it was 6 Miles roundtrip from the south parking lot. Trail was nice and there was just the tiniest patch of snow near the top - not a problem with good tennis shoes. Stunning views of the valley and we loved hiking next to the river.

We hiked this twice last summer and its one of my absolutely favorite hikes! Tough but so worth it! The falls are gorgeous! Wear good shoes/hiking boots and be ready for a workout. Definitely worth it!