For a limited time only, save 30% on a year of AllTrails Pro!
Get Started
Learn more

Bells Canyon Lower Falls via Boulders Trailhead

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(230)
Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest

Bells Canyon Lower Falls via Boulders Trailhead is a 5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Sandy, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Length 5.0 mi Elevation gain 1,719 ft Route type Loop

Rocky

No dogs

Description
Waypoints (3)

Note: Because this trail lies within a protected watershed, dogs and swimming are not permitted in the area.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (231)
Photos (2391)
Recordings (195)
Completed (1281)
Jacklyn Dean
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 14, 2020
Hiking

Hiked this 2 weeks ago with my kids (11,6). This was harder and longer than we thought it would be. The hike itself was beautiful. My kids are pretty great hikers and we made it to the top but the bouldering near the end was unreal. The last push was literally climbing straight up over boulders. The waterfall was so beautiful and worth it in the end. My kids did amazing despite the difficulty level. I consider myself a pretty avid hiker and that last push for me was a bit hard. It said 5 miles RT but I clocked it with Strava and it said we hiked over 8 miles by time we got back to the car.

Kenzie Knight
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 12, 2020
Hiking

This is a tougher moderate hike - a lot of it is exposed for the first half and there are some pretty steep sections! Gorgeous waterfall and views.

Sarah D.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 11, 2020
HikingNo shadeRockyScramble

Going to the reservoir and the creek are fine— the waterfall trail is SO hard. The difficulty level really ramps up— it’s steep and quite rocky. It would have been fine, but I slipped coming down and hurt my tailbone. All those miles with a rear that hurts so badly you want to vomit was not fun at all, so be careful. I also did one section twice on the way up: when you reach the creek, go LEFT, not right to follow the creek. If you’re going to do this, go early because it’s quite sunny coming back. It’s also quite busy. I started at 6 am on a Saturday, and there were tons of people the whole way. It wouldn’t’ve been so bad, but it took me four hours (due to my slip). My phone also calculated 8 miles, not 5. This was not the easy and quick Saturday morning hike I’d hoped for, but now that I’ve done it, at least I can cross it off my list and don’t have to do it again.

Mike Singleton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 5, 2020
Hiking

Nice and easy trail (recommend to start boulder head trail head). Beautiful reservoir.

Tina C.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 4, 2020
Hiking

Just finished this hike. OMG it was beautiful. Totally worth almost dying from the 108 flight climb my app told me we did. We got there at 7:45 am and the parking lot was already full. Recommend going earlier because the sun was a beast on our way down. I would rate this trail as “hard” going up and “moderate” going down. Views were breathtaking and worth the shaking legs and sore feet we are nursing now. #whoratesthesetrailsasmoderate.

Heidi B.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 3, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful hike and trail. Steep and rocky towards the end. Make sure you bring enough water. The falls is beautiful and don’t forget to turn around and look out at the view of the valley. Hiked it as a family ages 8-70 .

Giddings Harrison
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 2, 2020
Hiking

The trail is very pretty— with views of the mountains, reservoir and waterfall. However, once you pass the reservoir it is straight uphill for one mile. We did this in July and did not bring enough water. This is a strenuous hike, especially in the heat. I definitely recommend it if you are active, but I would not label it as a “moderate” hike. It leans more towards the difficult side if you have not been hiking or have not gotten used to the altitude.

Joe Theerawit
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 1, 2020
HikingRocky

Stunning views at the lake and the falls.

Roy Lindhardt
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 27, 2020
HikingMuddyRocky

If you're just beginning to hike, like we are, this feels more like a difficult hike. Also, it is not 5 miles round trip, my FitBit says we walked about 8 miles. It is all very beautiful though! The lake, the stream, the views of the valley and of course the falls! Just be ready for how hard it is.

Elizabeth Fungalei
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 27, 2020
Hiking

B E A U T I F U L. This hike was so nice. The lake is stunning and there are a few cute bridges to cross along the way. The views of the city are also breathtaking. It's definitely not an easy hike but it is very worth it in the end. My only bit advice would be to go early. When I parked (7 am on a Friday) there was 4 cars in the parking lot. After I finished the parking lot was full and cars were parked along the road.

Shelby Sunderland
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 22, 2020
Hiking

This hike was absolutely stunning! The first little bit and the last little bit are kind of hard but it’s definitely worth it!

Tim Burton
Rocky

very beautiful hike. last 1/3rd mile is hardest, but well worth it! lake was a nice rest spot. will definitely do it again.

Ashlee Ayre
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 19, 2020

beautiful!! went with a 5 year old and she did awesome! went to waterfall

View Ashlee's Recording
Pamela Olivarria
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 15, 2020
Hiking

Beautiful waterfall. The beginning of the trail isn’t that shaded but after you pass the lake it is really shaded and fresh. There is a lot of incline so be prepared.

Luana Collin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 12, 2020
Hiking

Great trail!!! This has everything. It is straight up at first, then you come to the reservoir. After head up to the left. You will hit the lower falls and then travel UP .9 miles to the upper falls which was huge today. I sat up top and explored for about 20 minutes. There is an area of exposed rock to the left of the falls with amazing views. Top was wet and slippery so be careful! Hiking poles and proper shoes are very helpful. Path down was slippery in spots due to lots of loose rock. Took about 3 hours total. Lots of sun exposure at beginning. Narrow trail in most parts. Lots of bugs but the didn’t bite.

Easton Guevara
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 26, 2020
HikingOff trailRockyScramble
Alexis Todd
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 24, 2020
HikingOff trailRocky

Has become one of my favorite SLC hikes for the amazing views and varying terrain. Lots and lots of traffic on this trail. First half mile is a mix of rock stair steps and switchbacks. Most “hikers” are stopping at the reservoir at .8 miles in. Continue around and continue on- there’s almost no one on the back half. Worth it just plan for loads of people depending on day but it wasn’t a deterrent. Enjoy!

View Alexis's Recording
D Frances
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 21, 2020
Hiking

Amazing views! Trail was kind of crowded, but not that bad. It was pretty steep after the bridge. At the end you can see the beautiful waterfall, it really worth the hike.

Myranda Lee Smith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 11, 2020
HikingRocky

trail is kinda narrow, but it wasn’t too busy on a saturday night. beautiful views at the reservoir and once you get past it. went off into the woods a bit and found some meadows—gorgeous!

Lindsey Estrada
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 3, 2020
HikingRocky

Beautiful trail but VERY CROWDED on a Sunday afternoon. Big groups on a narrow path makes for a lot of stopping and waiting to pass on the way up and down. Waterfall and view was incredible and worth the tough trek towards the end.

Jon Schneider
Hiking

My 6 year old and I hiked up to the waterfall. We left the Wasatch Blvd trailhead at 730 am. Got back to the car about noon because we went down to the reservoir and chilled for a bit. Perfect weather. Just a small portion of the trail had snow/slush. Waterfall was gorgeous and refreshing! Recommend to young kids that have hiking experience.

Nathan Anderson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 2, 2020
MuddyRockyScramble

Narrow in many spots, res was pretty. Lot's of rocks to climb up closer to the falls. Pretty crowded with people, some very rude most nice. Loads of shade on the way up. Kids and old lady enjoyed it for the most part.