Beartrap Fork Trail

Beartrap Fork Trail is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September.

Distance: 4.2 miles Elevation Gain: 2,178 feet Route Type: Out & Back

skiing

Directions from Salt Lake City: The trail begins about 10 miles up Big Cottonwood Canyon (7000 South Wasatch Blvd.) on private land. The trail is not marked.

I came down this trail after going up past Desolation Lake to the Wasatch Crest trail on the Mill D trail. You can tell this is going to be steep considering that you get to the same high point over twice the distance going up Mill D. The Beartrap Fork trail junction off of Wasatch Crest is unmarked, so you kind of have to know what to look for. Coming down, the first mile is super steep and kind of slippery in the sand and gravel. Going up that stretch would be tough, but probably not much slower than coming down,considering that you have to be careful. After that first mile it levels out, with a little mud here and there, and some easy creek crossings. Completely shaded and empty early in the morning. There are tread marks on the trail the whole way, so I suspect that some (crazy) folks are coming down this trail on mountain bikes.

Took the wife and I about 2.5 hrs up, 1 hour back. We were surprised at how steep it is, but we made it. Shady most of the way. Beautiful views, flowers we gorgeous the whole way up.

Hiked 1.7 miles up this canyon this evening. I didn’t make it to the top as I ran out of time. It’s a little difficult but very beautiful. Saw a deer, a grouse and one chick.....but no bears! I was alone until heading back down and met a group of about 20 hikers. I’ll do this hike again, but not alone! Also, I was surprised at how many Columbine flowers I saw, they were amazing!

A beautiful trail. Winding your way through Aspens and bushes. Saw a deer and a moose. Sadly did not run into a bear. Great view of Desolation Lake at the top. Hardly anyone else on the trail. Definitely coming back. The snow is gone now.

Still a significant amount of snow on this trail and about four stream crossings with water flows higher than normal.

I went in trail running shoes and made it about halfway before I decided to turn back. I could’ve kept going but had a feeling the snow would be much softer on the way down (which was true). . First half mile the trail is fine from there on out there is snow. If I had micro spikes I may have kept going. Saw one deer. Not another human being the whole time. Will hike it again when the snow is gone as it could be very beautiful

Lots of snow. Still very beautiful. Saw 3 moose and 3 deer along the trail.

Hiked up Beartrap Fork and over the spine of Desolation Peak.

Monday, July 16, 2018

Hiked this on 7/14/18. This trail was extremely beautiful and serene. I descended down this trail after hiking up mill d trailhead to desolation lake. There were so many meadows with wildflowers and it was canopy with a lot of shade. I didn’t run into any other hikers.. but did run into a bear about 20-30 feet off the trail. He was aware that we were there and let us pass without any issues but please be aware of this!

Monday, July 16, 2018

I went early in the morning of July 10, 2018. Taking it slow and pausing to enjoy the surroundings, many times along the way with shade, cool breeze, no insects and loads of wildflowers. I only spent 1 1/2 up. When I got to the large meadow before the straight up climb I turned around. The meadow had been reached by the Sun at that point. I had never hiked alone and will never do it again. Praying all the way round trip and being alert and cautious. It was dumb to do alone but for just this once I was in Heaven. I saw one deer on the way up to the right of me and two together to my left on the way back down.

Saturday, July 14, 2018

WARNING: I know I was probably the 1 in 1,000, but I ran into a bear smack dab in the middle of this trail. This spooked hiker suggests not hiking this trail alone, and bringing bear spray.

Thursday, July 12, 2018

Just did this hike last Sunday. Steep pretty much the whole way up. Tons of flies will suck the soul out of you. Trail is engulfed by tall plants. For the most part it was a pretty hike and definitely beautiful at the top. If you love flies this is the hike for you!

Monday, June 11, 2018

Had a hard time finding the trail head. We went up Beartrap Fork Rd. and came down where the trailhead really is, but we made it up. We were the only ones there and back, and the trail is all shaded until you get to the top. Steep but well worth it. Could see Desolation Lake from the top.

Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Very steep with some Icy parts glad we had our micro spikes. Thoroughly enjoyed it!

Tuesday, September 05, 2017

It lived up to it's reputation.

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Beautiful hike. I saw 7 people on the trail in the 2 1/2 hours I was out. I agree the last 1/2 mile is very steep, but worth the effort if you don't like traffic on your hikes. The flowers were blooming today and the creek bed dry for crossing. If you turn right at the Great Western Trail, it is only about 100 yd to a great view of the Park City area (Formerly the Canyons.) I gave it 4 instead of 5 stars only because of the steep climb to the crest, and having to walk on the heavily trafficked bike trail along the crest to Desolation lake.

Sunday, July 30, 2017

Beautiful hike up the gulch, fairly steep incline but with good shoes not a problem. Crossed the creek 6 times over all with putt any issues. Flowers were in bloom and the views from up to were breath taking. One can see down to desolation lake, Tyne valley to Park City, and the Salt Lake Valley.

Thursday, July 27, 2017

Fantastic wildflowers. Very green. Hardly anyone there.

Monday, July 10, 2017

Hiked up to the Wasatch Crest via the Mill D (Desolation Lake trail). Climbed to desolation peak, (no trail, just need to go up). Took the Beartrap trail on the way down. The upper third of this trail is very steep. (Would have rather come up this trail than down.) The scenery was even better than the Mill D trail, and far far fewer people.

Monday, July 03, 2017

Super steep in places, so I was glad I had trekking poles! Absolutely gorgeous hike. I highly recommend continuing up the Wasatch Crest Trail at the end for great views of Desolation Lake and Park City!

Monday, June 26, 2017

Beautiful and peaceful. Wildflowers in bloom.

Thursday, June 22, 2017

This Trail sucks for running don't do it.

Thursday, June 15, 2017

I did this hike on June 1 as part of a loop to Desolation Lake and Mill D. The first mile was moderate, before the second creek crossing where it disappeared under the snow. The second mile was measurably steeper and was a toil even with crampons. Snowshoes would have been a better choice for the lower portion, but after reaching the pass I made a fairly treacherous traverse to meet up with the trail again and was glad to have the traction. I would do this trail again in early season, but without knowing the trail conditions I would expect to need snowshoes and spikes. Apparently now (June 12), the snow is less of a factor.

Monday, June 12, 2017

One of my favorite hikes anywhere. This is more of a moderate hike. Not much snow on top. Great views of aspen, rivers, lakes, flowers, snow capped peaks!

Sunday, January 08, 2017

Snowshoes very fun

Sunday, January 01, 2017

This was a great hike for New Year's Eve. I was using snowshoes, but I followed the track of someone who wasn't. Looks like post hole hiking without snowshoes for sure, so be prepared. Great views from the saddle and Desolation peak looking over Park City Resort. Started early in the dark with hopes of reaching the summit for sunrise but I underestimated my time and it took a full 2 hrs with stops for pictures to reach the top. Will definitely be back in the spring for another go.

Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Lovely trail up to the Wasatch Crest and beautiful desolation lake. Relatively easy grade lower down, then climbs sharply after passing through a lovely meadow. As others have said, the lack of traffic is a real advantage. I made a nice loop up beartrap and down Mill D, and did not see a single soul on Beartrap while I was passing people all the time on the lower section of Mill D. There was snow on the ground as low as 8100' in the deep slot that makes the upper canyon. I imagine snow holds there well into spring as well.

Thursday, August 18, 2016

If you are looking for a different route to Desolation Lake than Mill D North, than Beartrap Fork is the way to go. Basically zero traffic, so the trail will be all yours.Once you get up to the Wasatch Crest Trail, you can follow it towards the lake and overlooks of the Park City area. Although there is no trail, you can very easily hike up the hill to Desolation Peak (9990 ski lift is there too). The view of Little Cottonwood Canyon is great!

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

this was a fun trip and I enjoyed the hiking at the first mile is pretty easy through Forest and Aspen Grove. the Second Mile and got progressively steeper and the last quarter mile was pretty steep. the view from the top is really nice looks out over the Salt Lake Valley to the Solitude ski resort and down to Desolation Lake. not too many bugs some wildflowers with lots of bees. The best part was we only saw three other people the entire day good hike but they take some time and is fairly difficult if you're not used to hiking at this altitude.