Beartrap Fork Trail

Beartrap Fork Trail is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September.

snowboarding

Directions from Salt Lake City: The trail begins about 10 miles up Big Cottonwood Canyon (7000 South Wasatch Blvd.) on private land. The trail is not marked.

Very steep with some Icy parts glad we had our micro spikes. Thoroughly enjoyed it!

It lived up to it's reputation.

Beautiful hike. I saw 7 people on the trail in the 2 1/2 hours I was out. I agree the last 1/2 mile is very steep, but worth the effort if you don't like traffic on your hikes. The flowers were blooming today and the creek bed dry for crossing. If you turn right at the Great Western Trail, it is only about 100 yd to a great view of the Park City area (Formerly the Canyons.) I gave it 4 instead of 5 stars only because of the steep climb to the crest, and having to walk on the heavily trafficked bike trail along the crest to Desolation lake.

Beautiful hike up the gulch, fairly steep incline but with good shoes not a problem. Crossed the creek 6 times over all with putt any issues. Flowers were in bloom and the views from up to were breath taking. One can see down to desolation lake, Tyne valley to Park City, and the Salt Lake Valley.

Fantastic wildflowers. Very green. Hardly anyone there.

Hiked up to the Wasatch Crest via the Mill D (Desolation Lake trail). Climbed to desolation peak, (no trail, just need to go up). Took the Beartrap trail on the way down. The upper third of this trail is very steep. (Would have rather come up this trail than down.) The scenery was even better than the Mill D trail, and far far fewer people.

Super steep in places, so I was glad I had trekking poles! Absolutely gorgeous hike. I highly recommend continuing up the Wasatch Crest Trail at the end for great views of Desolation Lake and Park City!

Beautiful and peaceful. Wildflowers in bloom.

This Trail sucks for running don't do it.

I did this hike on June 1 as part of a loop to Desolation Lake and Mill D. The first mile was moderate, before the second creek crossing where it disappeared under the snow. The second mile was measurably steeper and was a toil even with crampons. Snowshoes would have been a better choice for the lower portion, but after reaching the pass I made a fairly treacherous traverse to meet up with the trail again and was glad to have the traction.

I would do this trail again in early season, but without knowing the trail conditions I would expect to need snowshoes and spikes. Apparently now (June 12), the snow is less of a factor.

One of my favorite hikes anywhere. This is more of a moderate hike. Not much snow on top. Great views of aspen, rivers, lakes, flowers, snow capped peaks!

Snowshoes very fun

This was a great hike for New Year's Eve. I was using snowshoes, but I followed the track of someone who wasn't. Looks like post hole hiking without snowshoes for sure, so be prepared. Great views from the saddle and Desolation peak looking over Park City Resort. Started early in the dark with hopes of reaching the summit for sunrise but I underestimated my time and it took a full 2 hrs with stops for pictures to reach the top. Will definitely be back in the spring for another go.