Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Bear River Bird Refuge Auto Tour is a 12.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Corinne, Utah that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for nature trips, bird watching, and scenic driving and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 12.1 miles Elevation Gain: 13 feet Route Type: Loop

beach

Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge lies in northern Utah, where the Bear River flows into the northeast arm of the Great Salt Lake. The Refuge protects the marshes found at the mouth of the Bear River; these marshes are the largest freshwater component of the Great Salt Lake ecosystem. The Refuges auto tour route is open daylight hours year-round, weather and road conditions permitting. The Auto Tour is a 12-mile loop through the heart of the Refuge. The Refuge headquarters and Wildlife Education Center are easy to find. The Auto Tour is one way (counter clockwise). Please be courteous and pull over for others if you are stopped to view or photograph wildlife. There are many designed pull-offs along the route for this reason. There is a security gate at the beginning of the Auto Tour that closes at dusk. If you are leaving in the evening and the gate is already closed, please approach slowly and the gate will open, allowing you to exit.

scenic driving

It was a nice drive around the area, we saw a lot of birds but I thought there were more than that. One of those giant flies bit me on the arm (I thought they were flies) and after that I didn’t got out of my car -reason why I gave it 3 stars. Perfect for social distancing, I may go back another time of the year. Got there at 4pm

scenic driving

Returned hoping to see more birds than the last time. More birds but not as many as I was hoping for. Don't know if we were too early or to late

good. lots of birds this time of year

Amazing opportunity to view shorebirds and other feathered friends! If it’s buggy out, you can still see plenty of species from the comfort of your car. If you’re like me, and want to stop frequently to gawk and take pictures, plan on spending several hours there. ❤️

the auto tour was amazing. Seen carp swimming along and the birds living their best life

My family and I walked around the entire driving route and saw numerous types of birds, a couple different types of mammals, and the carp were jumping out of the water. The road is flat, the dust was low due to recent rain, and there weren’t any biting bugs until around dusk. There are a lot of midges, but they’re harmless. If we were to do it again, we would walk around the opposite way the cars are driving, to see them coming. Overall it was great to get out and enjoy the wildlife on a cool sunny day.

Sat Apr 06 2019

Amazing variety of water fowl that number in the 100’s of thousands!! So many flying feathered critters this time of year!

Thu Nov 22 2018

A very easy drive. Dusty at times. We seen a few of the migratory birds. We will likely do this again to see more different species of birds.

Sun Nov 11 2018

This was a neat little scenic drive loop on a Sunday afternoon. There were several hunters out but still a mostly peaceful excursion through the marshlands. Saw a few sandhill cranes and some other birds as well.

Mon Jun 04 2018

Went for a Sunday drive with my wife. Great place to see many birds. Wished be had come here earlier in the spring when more birds were in the area

Sun Feb 18 2018

Soooo many birds. Saw a muskrat or a beaver as well. If you go in fall you will catch a lot of migrating birds. Also a great place to see the sunset reflect over the lake. The road was well maintained.

Sat May 27 2017

Such a fun drive with the kids.

Wed Jun 11 2014

This is a very relaxing drive and a couple of observation decks along the way to get above the wet lands and see how far the refuge stretches.

Sat Aug 25 2012

A favorite Sunday afternoon drive. Usually see deer, and lots of birds.

Sat Mar 23 2019