Bear Canyon Bridge Trail

Bear Canyon Bridge Trail is a 4.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Draper, Utah that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is best used from January until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This was a really nice hike. The majority of it is Bonniville Trail; Bear Loop is a very small offshoot but it’s still very pretty with a nice waterfall.

Bring lots of water; the trail is majority in the sun so sunscreen is essential too. It’s a busy trail but everyone is willing to give everyone else room to get by.

3 bridges, a boulder tunnel, a waterfall, mountain and urban views, this trail has something for everyone!

This trail has a few different entry points from the Bonneville Shoreline Trail (BST). Actually, the BST is the only trail you really need to follow if you want to go on the suspension bridge shown in the title screen. However, if you want to see the waterfall and a smaller bridge, then an extra climb is needed.

The trailhead as shown on alltrails starts in Hidden Valley Park in Sandy (South of Salt Lake City), but when you get there, if you don't know the place, it can be a little tricky to find, mostly as you are not parking at a trailhead, but at the park itself. If you go to the far end of the parking lot toward the mountain (GPS marker is listed in the video), you will see a trail going up the hill, follow this paved path about .1 mile to the actual trailhead. This is the way started the trail. However, if you want to shorten it, go further down the paved path maybe .3-.4 mile til you can see a wide gravel path going up a hill, this will shorten your trail by about .5 mile probably. Walk up this hill, take a right at a set of steps and go down over a bridge, follow the BST Trail to a fenced area. If you go into this fenced area this is actually the Bear Canyon Loop which requires a climb up a few hundred feet incline then down over a bridge, where a small waterfall can be seen. However, if you are there with a dog, or just want to see the suspension bridge, then walk past the wooden gate to the Bear Canyon Loop, go straight and get to the bridge in a jiffy! There are map screen shots in the video trail guide that will help you with this hike.

There are other ways to get to this bridge- other trail entries from nearby neighborhoods, or maybe even if you are walking from the opposite direction on the BST.

Keep in mind there is a good chance to see mountain bikers as well as hikers on this trail.

This trail is also popular with families with small children as well as tourists and trail runners.

See photo/video collage here: https://youtu.be/aabCnXQX3VM

Hiking with my two dogs. 4.3.18 we are from Las Vegas and just moved here 4.1.18 and my dogs had such a great time hiking. We love the weather, the bridge totally awesome but don’t see the water falls due to the sign said no dogs allowed. But we definitely gonna keep coming back here.

Nice gradual hike with amazing views. lots of bikers on this trail which they make you move out of the way for. They do tell you if they are the last. Trail was dry on this day. It was also cloudy. If it wasn't you would be hiking in full sun. Be sure to bring water for those days. I had my dog and his poop bag the whole way. There aren't any trash cans that I saw until the trailhead and also toilets.

Nice morning hike. Incredible views!

We started at the parking lot by the church, not too hard and you get an awesome view of the city almost the whole way there. Kinda muddy right now but there was a lot of green too!

easy trail for sunday afternoon, bring your dogs 3 waste bags stations, no reason to leave anything behind

This is a really cool place. I wouldn’t have expected it to be up there behind just the neighborhood

This is a nice easy family hike. My 5 year old had no problem. Beware as we saw needles and other drug paraphernalia towards the beginning of the trail head, but afterwards it was all natural beauty. The suspension bridge was awesome and overall it was a enjoyable experience.

Definitely not moderate but a very fun easy hike. The suspension bridge is worth it alone. Make sure right by the bridge you go on bear canyon loop, it takes you up a little higher where the stream is.

This was an easy but fun hike. I have never been on a suspension bridge and it was worth the hike to see it and cross it.

It's really an easy trail so I'm not sure why it is rated as moderate.

Awesome easy hike with great views. Dog friendly and relaxing.

Nice hike but I got lost at first till I figured out I have to go with BST trailhead then once you find closed gate take the stairs down on the right side and keep going till you reach bear canyon loop and the suspension bridge

Nice graded, family friendly hike. Nice views throughout. We took our 6 & 7 year old boys. They did great.

easy beautiful short hike.

Easy hike, but not very shaded so try to go earlier in the day or late at night. Overall it was okay and the bridge was cool.

Great hike! Awesome view and the trail overall was pretty cool. Some incline at the beginning but overall not too hard and well worth the hike. WARNING: Make sure to watch out for snakes! We saw a 2 snakes at different points on the trail.

great views of the city, not to hard

Gorgeous trail! Little confusing to find but we figured it out! The Bears Loop was a fun little extra, maybe half mile, after you cross the bridge rather than going back over it. Went around 8:30 in mid July and most of it was still shady and cool!

The hike itself was gorgeous since we went night hiking. however, I followed the directions on the app and it lead me to a church and waaay off from where the actual trailhead started.

This was a nice hike. For me it was a bit confusing to find the trail because I kept looking for "bear canyon trail" signs, which do not exist. So to those that need the help, like I did, here is what you do. Park in the park parking lot next to the LDS church. Take the paved path that heads east and then south. Take the second BST exit which heads south. Stay on the BST for like 1.5 miles. Then you have a choice. You can take the bear canyon loop first, which ends right after the suspension bridge and then come back on the bridge and back up the BST. OR you can stay on the BST past the suspension bridge and head back via the bear canyon loop. Either way it will only be about 3.5 miles total and like 400 ft elevation gain. The hike is very exposed, so go early. Also, the BST is a busy trail, especially for bikers, so stay alert. I wouldn't say this is kid friendly, but maybe teenager friendly. The bear canyon loop gets a bit steep, so little ones may have a harder time. Enjoy! (Oh and please note that there is a section of this trail that is NOT dog friendly. Please watch for the signs and respect the watershed)

Easy hike that gives you awesome views of the valley!

Easy. beautiful views.

Such an amazing hike. I'll be doing it again.

Quite the mellow hike. Loved it! Dog friendly!

Pretty good trail that was decent for my kids. No shade at all so make sure to go early or late in the day if it's hot.

went with a 2 year old and 5 year old. My oldest walked the whole way. My youngest probably hiked two miles and I carried her the rest of the way. It was fun! very peaceful. there was complaining on the way up because it was taking forever to get to the bridge but we made it! going back was super quick. we also loved the hole in the rock/cave.

I did this little hike packing a toddler and with a 6 yo. It was pretty nice and scenic. Loved the view of the valley. Seen a few snakes along the way luckily no rattlers. I do recommend using trekking poles if you have bad knees or lame ankles like I do.

Really good, easy hike, good one to do after work or for a short time in the morning. It's low in the valley so it's pretty hot in the summertime, but the view along the bench is so pretty. The bridge itself is very cool too!