Bates Canyon Trail

Bates Canyon Trail is a 10.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Stansbury Park, Utah that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

You share the ATV trail up to the mouth of the canyon where the gate is. It is much better at that point. Keep going to the old mine buildings at the top.

Its pretty blah from the parking lot all the way up to the gate preventing motorized vehicles. Just dirt road but it has a good elevation gain that will get you breathing hard. But once you get past the gate onto the hiking (only) trail, it gets more scenic and enjoyable.

It’s not a destination hike or trail but it is convenient and a good option for Tooele Countey residents.

I took this trail with my 4 children. It was quite steep and I had my two year old on my back. I chose this trail because of the beautiful pictures- but we never made it past the mess of the ATV trails. It was too long and too steep for me and the kids to keep going long enough to even reach any shade. We hiked in the full sun on the foothills the whole time. Even so- the views of the valley were beautiful and the kids and I did have fun. But we only hiked about 1.75 miles before having to turn back. Maybe next time we can get more into the Canyon and find some shade.

Maybe not the most glamurous trail, but the pretty steep incline lets you get some beautiful panoramas in the first hour. Great Salt Lake, and the whole valley. It is a long hike and you should arrive early, the beginning is messed up, because of lots of ATV trails everywhere. Keep an eye on your navigation. Theres very few people there so make sure you let somebody know where you are going. Once you hit that 6000ft cell reception becomes problematic. Theres some mud but not too much, mostly rocky terrain, so watch your footing. Altitude goes up fast and its pretty exhausting. Its not an easy trail.

This is not an easy trail. Medium for the first 4 miles, than hard for the remainder. The first mile is pretty ugly because you hike through a mess of atv trails. Once you have passed the gate it is better. Pretty right now with the leaves but I can see how some might not like it the rest of the year. There are a bunch if old cabins about 4 miles in and after them the trail gets tougher to follow. At 4.5 miles I couldn't see a trail and it was steep. The leaves may have been hiding the trail, but I don't think so. If you follow the GPS map you stop at the one opening which allows a good view of the valley.

Sunday, September 10, 2017