Bald Mountain via The Great Western Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(52)
Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest

Bald Mountain via The Great Western Trail is a 6.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Salt Lake City, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

Distance: 6.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,627 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Nice hike along the ridge line. Rolling hills on the way out and back. Great views of the Wasatch mountains and an impressive array of wildflowers. Lots of diversity on this one--wildflower meadows, dry almost high desert and alpine forests. Be aware of summer temps as this hike can get hot.

Hiked 5/24/20, and there’s some slick mud on the final climb to the summit. Otherwise, trail is great!

The path itself is very well maintained, mostly soft dirt and great for trail running. There are nice views and pretty, varied scenery all along the way, so its a good option even if you don't want to go all the way up. Plus, feathered friends. I can't remember the last time I saw so many different kinds of birds in one place.

Did this as the start of a Big Mountain to Lambs explore for the Wasatch 100 race I a doing in Sept. Very pretty and tons of wildflowers, animals signs. Easy hike, well marked train for this portion. Was a nice cool day and a wet winter so perfect. I imagine later it will be less green and lush. But now it's very nice. And interestingly, it did hail quite a bit.

Sat Oct 06 2018

Great view from the area. Continued hiking the Great western trail

Thu Jul 26 2018

This is a great, straightforward hike that is surprisingly under-utilized considering how accessible it is to Salt Lake City. The trailhead is at Big Mountain Pass, right off of UT-65 through East Canyon. As mentioned below, you want the trail that goes around the gate, up the gravel by the radio tower. The trail is easy to follow and in pretty good shape, except maybe for a little bit of foliage overgrowth towards the end. It takes you through groves of evergreens, aspens, meadows and at the very end, a bare summit with panoramic views. The wildflowers are sadly pretty much gone right now. Unlike the more popular hikes in the Cottonwood Canyons, this one is not high enough to provide much relief from this summer's heat. I went at first light and caught a beautiful sunrise over the mountains in the distance. Although the final summit is only 500 ft higher than the starting point, the AllTrails app gave me 1600 ft of elevation gain on this hike, due to the ups and downs along the way. All in all, it is a pretty easy stroll, which I clocked at 6.8 miles RT. Per the map, there is a little side trail right near the start to something called Big Mountain South, which I need to check out next time.

Wed Jul 18 2018

Started at 3:30 with full pack of 2L of water. In SLC for business and wanted a good after work hike. No easing into this hike, the uphill switchbacks started immediately, but not a problem. This part of the trail was shaded. Well worn trail but heavy, chest high vegetation made me wish I had on pants. Eventually opened up on a ridge line that was relatively flat for a while. Incredible 360 degree views from that vantage point. Bummed out that The East Canyon Resort had many Private Property signs along this portion. Eventually the trail came to a fork where there was a fire ring. Be sure to stay to the left, which keeps you on the trail. Going right takes you into the private property of the East Canyon Resort. This was my turning back point. Saw a couple other hikers on my way down.

Sun Jul 01 2018

The directions took me straight to the TH. The trail begins at the upper corner of the gravel area by the satellite tower. The first little part is a pretty good climb up, but then it evens out. I saw tons of caterpillars on bushes all the way there. I also saw what looked like Baby bearded dragons in the big open field. When I went there were thousands of yellow daisies in bloom, it was beautiful! I didn't run into another person the whole time, which is always a bonus to me. There's not much shade after that first initial climb which is wooded, so I would go early, late or on a cooler day. The only reason I'm rating it 4 stars is because it was mostly out in the open so it makes for a hot hike, but everything else was awesome!

Fri Jun 22 2018

Beautiful and very easy trail. Great diversity of flowers blooming now, lots of butterflies. And solitude...I saw no one else on the trail.

Sun Jun 17 2018

SO MANY FLOWERS. It's really great up there right now (June 16). Hike has variety of shade/trees and open panoramic views. Good mix of uphill/downhill both ways. This would be a great trail for mountain biking too. Not many people on it.

Sat Jun 16 2018

Wildflowers are stunning right now. About 1.5 miles from the trailhead. Worth the effort.

Sat Oct 28 2017

Trail was easy to follow but doesn't follow the map exactly. I trekked out to South Big Mountain on the way back, but there isn't a trail to that summit.

Tue Jul 04 2017

Nice hike along the ridge line. Rolling hills on the way out and back. Great views of the Wasatch mountains and an impressive array of wildflowers. Loved the diversity on this one--wildflower meadows, dry almost high desert and alpine forests. Wouldn't want to do this one on a hot summer day though--I hiked it a week ago.

Sun May 28 2017

Not what I'd call easy. There's a good deal of vertical here and private property borders they last 1/3 of the trail. It's a gorgeous view though and worth the short hike.

Wed Jul 06 2016

Beautiful wildflowers. We took a group of 4 to 8 year old kids 3 weeks ago and they did great. Looks like there are 2 trails from the parking lot. We took the one left of the bathroom out to a beautiful meadow. It was exactly 3.6 round trip. Mostly in the sun with a gradual incline that was nice with kids.

Sat Jun 18 2016

Nice super runnable trail. I've never seen this area except during hunting season.

Sat Aug 08 2015

It was a fairly easy home with little scenery as you hike, compared to others in the area. A nice hike nonetheless.