Bair Canyon Trail

Bair Canyon Trail is a 9.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kaysville, Utah that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

cave

The trail used for the Bair Gutsman race that goes from the base of the mountains in Fruit Heights to Francis Peak. Steep climbs, great views, and a challenging race.

Great trail. Amazing views, but hard. The switchbacks near the top are overgrown, so the tail goes straight up.

I did a trail run from the parking lot of Bair Canyon to the radio towers. It was just over 4miles (by my garmin watch) to the top of the canyon and another .75 -1 mile to the towers once on top. After about 1.5-2 miles up (past the 2nd creek crossing) this trail gets very steep and doesn’t let up. The brush grows over the trail a good portion until you are above the tree line. Gorgeous once you are on top, especially early in the morning. There are maybe 3 or 4 spots for a single tent the whole way up. I saw two or three fire pits.

This trail is family friendly up to the 1st creek crossing and difficult for anyone after the 2nd.

It was about 5,000 vertical feet of gain in 5miles to the radio towers. It took me 3 hrs from top to bottom and 32oz of water wasn’t enough for 7a-10a.

Great workout. Would definitely do it again.

This hike is a great workout for sure. Its shaded most of the way, so that's nice if you want to stay out of the sun. Trailhead parking is limited (and a little hard to find) so make sure to come early.

Great trail; difficult at sections. Carried a backpack; camped and enjoyed the trail.

Tough hike, but lots of shade and water.

Amazing and hardest one I’ve done yet! 1 gopher Snake(big guy) - caterpillar nests everywhere and amazing views guys. Hard climb and hard even down. Loved it though

Awesome hike all the way to the top. Great scenery and beautiful views. Watch out for snakes 05/21/18

I absolutely love this trail it is one of my favorites, but it is really hard but totally worth it!

It was a pretty area to hike. Steep hike, definitely rated correctly. Had open/sun-exposed areas but had tree canopied areas too. It was nice to hear the river/creek along the way.

went past the 3-mile mark about 4 miles the trail started getting Rocky and steeper then I was prepared for.Good hike. The rating is pretty accurate or difficulty higher on the trail.

Beautiful scenery. Well defined trail. Well shaded. There were some steep drop offs and inclines so I was glad I had my poles. Well placed boulders or bridge made it easy to cross stream. I'd say it was really only "hard" after 2.5 mile

All trails has the name of this trail wrong. It is Bair Canyon. Named after John Bair who established the first lumber mill in Davis County at the mouth of this canyon.

Sunday, August 13, 2017

Nice and shady thur half of the trail and there were a couple of hard spots. The second half of the trail you
are out in the open and still easy untill the last hill and it is very hard up and down getting to the road on top.

Monday, July 31, 2017

Beautiful hike located conveniently close to home. Dog friendly and river running through completes it. No car noises or city sounds, good place to escape.

Thursday, July 06, 2017

Was limited on time so was only able to go in about 2 miles. But, this is a beautiful trail. Mostly covered and shaded. Could hear the creek the whole time. Gets steep in sections but not terrible. Looking forward to coming back to finish it.

Friday, June 30, 2017

Fun hike! Lots of variety along the way. Definitely gets steep in a few spots. Amazing views from the top!

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

This trail gets pretty steep and sometimes narrow so the way back downhill was a little technical but overall great trail. I'd recommend starting early because I started at 1pm and it was HOT.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

As of 6/10, the trail to the top of Francis Peak (The very last push up to the ridge) is still kinda sketchy unless you have the proper gear to deal with it (a la microspikes/ice axe). If you plan on getting to the summit, bring it with you. The snow was still hard enough to where those things would be effective. This hike is rough, but it gets so cool the further up you go.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Great Family Hike and kid friendly. We stopped at the bridge and played in the water. It was a perfect short hike for anyone wishing to hike with a few kids.

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Lower section to the bottom bridge great kid hike. I would not take them any higher water still flowing high at all crossings. Beautiful hike though

Monday, June 05, 2017

such a rad hike. great views. multiple crossings (prepare to dampen the feet if you go around now), beautiful hike

Sunday, June 04, 2017

One of my favorites

Monday, May 29, 2017

Great hike with low pressure! Get past the river crossings and your good to go. Creek is flowing hard! At mile 2.5 the climb gets intense! Difficult for sure. Still some large snow drifts towards the top that make it tough to go all the way! Downhill is painful on the knees.. give it a go! Definitely worth a shot! Beautiful view the entire way!

Friday, April 21, 2017

Some sketchy parts after the first bridge, but my stubborn butt completed it while it was raining. Will do again!!!

Monday, April 17, 2017

I took my 3 boys (9-12) up this trail to the third creek crossing. That crossing looked a little sketchy - almost sure to get feet wet above the ankle (and the water was moving swiftly) so we opted to head back at that point. It was a soundly challenging hike. Some sections past the first bridge were significantly eroded, and it made for tenuous passage for shorter legs.
The traffic was minimal. We only saw one other couple down lower. Maybe it being Easter Sunday had something to do with it.

We didn't see any critters, and the bugs were minimal. The sound of the creek was ever present and the newly leafing trees were delightful.

I am definitely looking forward to tackling the whole thing by the end of this summer.

Friday, April 14, 2017

Did this with my 4yr old, my 2 yr old and my 9 month old on my back to the footbridge. Good little hike! We turned back because it was getting dark but next time we'll go farther.

- Christian

Saturday, November 19, 2016

great workout would do it again!

Monday, October 10, 2016

did anyone find the cave the introduction refers to?

Saturday, September 17, 2016

Tough hike. It definitely deserves the hard rating.

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Nice trail, great scenery. But not a good trail for running. For me, most of it was too steep an technical to run, though I am am extra careful not to reinjure my knee. I did slip/trip three times.