Aztec Butte Trail is a 1.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Moab, Utah that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 1.7 miles Elevation Gain: 262 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Island in the Sky Visitor Center: Drive southward on Utah 313 approximately 6.25 miles to the junction of Main Island Road and Upheaval Dome Road. Bear right at this junction and drive .7 miles, past the access road to Willow Flat Campground, to the parking area for Aztec Butte Trail.

Beautiful views with a bit of a scramble to get to the top.

I completed this one yesterday. I would start out by saying this hike is not for small children. it's pretty steep, and I was grateful my shoes (chacos sandals) had good traction. the wind was whipping when we went, so that made it a little more precarious and harder to balance. the views from the top were stunning, so it's worth the scramble. there was no snow, and trail was clear. I'd be willing to go back and do this one again for sure!

My favorite hike in Canyonlands. Amazing views, easy hike until you reach the Butte. Had to leave one behind who was afraid of heights when we got to the scrambling parts.

Very fun and easy trail until you go up the butte. A bit of scrambling but well worth it!

Just hiked the Butte and back. 1.5 miles in 30 minutes as I was in a rush. but spectacular 360 views from top. sure to get a good picture in at least one direction. don't skip this one.

Cool trail! it was a little tricky today so I didn't make it all the way up to the dome. I did make it to the granaries though that was also a little bit slick so I would be careful as it's not quite icy not quite dry.

It’s a hard climb, and in the snow and ice, crampons are definitely needed. The views is breath taking though.

Really cool hike filled with history.

Fun hike. We stopped just short of the top as the scrambling got a bit steeper but it wasn’t dangerous. The granary was really neat. There are a few steps across a steep slope to reach it but it’s manageable. Just wouldn’t do it in slick conditions. I think there are better hikes in the park but overall still a great experience.

That was a gem! At the back of the Mesa there is a fantastic view! Do it and your cool! Pretty easy hike, the scramble to the top is only like 300 meters and definitely moderate but well worth the trek for the unforgettable views. The Granaries are pretty neat and definitely worth the extra little trip.

Really beautiful but hard at the very end climbing straight up

A great little hike. Mostly very easy until the last part, which is steep and quite slippery. But definitely worth it (and surprisingly, when I did it, there were almost no people in an otherwise crowded national park).

Nice trail and less crowded than most of the other short hikes nearby. A brief scramble to reach the top of the Butte.

recorded Aztec Butte Trail

Nice trail with some scrambling to climb up to good views.

Great climb, great views! The granaries are cool and definitely worth the detour

a good amount of scrambling but really fun. make sure to go see the granaries too

Awesome hike. Definitely pretty challenging at points, but it’s not long. Beautiful views in all directions at the top.

Fun trail with some easy walking and some scrambling up the side to get on top of the butte. Don’t miss the hidden granaries! Completed in May 2019.

Loved this trail. It was my favorite part of our visit to Canyonlands. Loved the hike up the side of the butte to the top. Don't forget to drop down onto the ledge on the east side of the butte. There are some little shady alcove things that are so isolated yet so easy to access. Magnificent view of the canyons from there. I noticed that so many others overlooked it and moved on without dropping down onto that ledge. Also, don't forget the granaries. So peaceful and nice.

You have to climb the rocks especially at the end but the 360 degrees view you get at the top is awesome

Awesome little trail. Well marked. Great views from Aztec Butte, interesting structure. Make sure you add the smaller butte you passed to your hike. Interesting Puebloan graineries.

Really fun trail and not too long. Personally, I think the hike should be named the Granaries Trail because that was the really cool feature to me and I mistakenly thought the granaries were located on Aztec Butte. There is a rock structure on Aztec Butte and it's worth climbing but the granaries were on the side trail. I would definitely recommend this trail.

We went today and this was a super fun hike with big kids. Lots of scrambling on the rocks and fun to climb to the top of the Butte and get 360 degree views! Make sure to take the side trail to the granaries as well—very cool! Only took about an hour total.