Angels Landing, West Rim, Telephone Loop

Angels Landing, West Rim, Telephone Loop is a 14.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Springdale, Utah that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Distance: 14.6 miles Elevation Gain: 3,740 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

There are few things that could be related to the feeling of arriving at the top of this hike. It’s incredible. This is one of those hikes you gotta be in good shape for mentally and physically. My father (age 62) and myself (34) did it a few weeks ago with a friend. We went fairly early in the morning with LOTS of water. When we made it to the steeper part of the hike, just past sign that says how many people have passed away, we got a fairly close fly-by from a California Condor. Unfortunately I could not catch which number was tagged on the bird... but I did get to see it and catch a video of it soaring away and around another cliff. Truly one of my favorite outdoor moments in my entire life. Yes, it’s extremely high, yes, you could die and we saw an older man almost go off the side (dehydrated and stubborn), luckily someone caught him by his backpack!... but if you are in the park and want to experience something truly worth it... get your butt up there.

Great hike. Got a permit to camp at campsite one just next to the refrigerator trailhead. the views were insane and there was no one around. Crazy considering how crowded it was at the park. there are long sections without shade so bring water and wear a hat. when we did it, it must have been 100+ we had to stop and drink a lot for just a 4 mile hike to the campsite. Great hike and incredible views.

The hike was beautiful and offers a challenge beyond angel’s landing, with incredible views of Zion from atop the west rim. Bring more water than you think you’ll need and start early in the day — the heat really gets to you by the afternoon and you don’t want to be hiking down with no water!

I am not a big fan of heights so naturally was weary of this hike. My instincts were right because it is super challenging mentally. The hike up is difficult but coming down is harder because you can see the drop off to the valley floor the whole way. I’m saying that the view from the top is worth it and the Adrenalin rush was a fun thrill also. Some people had taken their children up which I would definitely recommend against. We started the hike around 4pm so the trail was very quiet and took us around 3hrs to complete. If the trail is busy wait until later or come back the next morning early because it would be far too sketchy if it’s busy.

Amazing views on the west rim, check out by horse pasture plateau then take the telephone loop back down. Just a heads up though it is very strenuous to get up to the top but once up there it is a easy hike around. Absolutely beautiful and it you want to test yourself this is a great trail to do. A little bit of bugs in the wooded parts, paved and packed dirt trail all the way.

Amazing hike! We hiked angels landing followed by west rim and up to the loop. We caught the shuttle at 7am and started hiking around 7:30am. Angels landing was very busy and will take longer than expected as you wait for people. The west rim trail leads to the top of a plateau with amazing views and is much less crowded. We didn’t complete the west rim to telephone loop but made it most of the way before turning around due to time. We heard from other hikers that the west rim side of the loop is much better than telephone. It’s definitely worth hiking the switchbacks to get to the top of the plateau. The hike took us 8 hours in total, making it about halfway around the west rim side of the loop. If you go earlier it will be much faster since you won’t have to wait at angels landing. The trail is mostly in the sun so prepare accordingly.

One of the toughest hikes I've done--both physically and psychologically, but it's well worth it! I hiked it in the Fall, so there was less foot traffic.

Hard strenuous hike as described. Worth the time and effort.

Ridiculously crowded. We didn’t bother with the last part bc it was so busy and made it feel too risky.

Awesome hike. I arrived at the visitor's Center at 5:30am and people were already lining up. I made the first bus at 6am. I was able to beat the crowd and enjoy Angel's Landing. The second part of taking the West Rim Trail was spectacular. Very few people and amazing sights. The loop part, Telephone Canyon Trail, was a let down. Not much to see, several trees were down across the trail, and it was mostly through scrub oak.

very beautiful scenery very hard hike and a lot of people

May 1 - we hiked part of the trail. Beautiful views and shared part of our hike with a mule deer. Definitely will come back to hike more of the trail.

Best hike ever! Angels landing was great but do yourself a favor and head to the West Rim. Not heavily trafficked and views out of this world. Highly recommend good hiking shoes, gloves for the way up to Angels Landing, water and lots of snacks. Tip: go early because it gets crowded at Angels landing. I went early 6:30am and it was perfect.

Outstanding in all weather conditions!! Got the first bus at 7am from visitor center to hike Angel's Landing first. Once we got off Angel's Landing (crowds were getting quite big on the way back), we continued to the West Rim trail and completed the whole West Rim / Telephone Canyon loop, then went back. First of all, it's much less crowded than Angel's Landing, yet the views are as beautiful!! When you get to the spring at the top, the view is amazing, but do not stop there!! Most people stop there and go back, but the views off the actual West Rim are also amazing - don't make all the effort to come up to the spring, and then miss these great views. The West Rim trail from the Spring is mostly flat (little bit uphill, nothing compared to the ascent before) and you get to see so much of Zion. Telephone Canyon is not so great, so if I did this again, I would probably complete the West Rim trail to the junction with Telephone canyon, then go back via West Rim Trail to the spring and then down. Finally, I had the most amazing time because on the way up it was sunny, great pics, and on the way down it started pouring. At first I was annoyed (had umbrella ready), but then I realized the trail back to Angel's landing becomes a Waterfall Central - there are many many beautiful waterfalls coming off the rocks when it's raining, I was just amazed and could not stop taking videos. Sometimes people hike 5 miles to see one small waterfall, here you can hike a lot more to see many beautiful waterfalls (only when it's raining!!!).

We skipped the telephone loop so it was about 11 miles. Started at Angel’s landing but bypassed the chain section because it was so packed. (We started at 11:45) we stayed along the west rim trail and it was nice to get away from the crowds. The view at the springs at the end was insane! We then did angels landing around 4:00 and it was much less crowded. The only downside to the trail is it’s mostly all paved cement so you definitely don’t need hiking boots. We wore our trail running shoes but my road running shoes have have been better for the extra cushion, although the grip was nice on the trail shoes. Amazing views, would definitely do any and all of this again. Make sure to bring plenty water, snacks, hat and sunscreen.

Did the Wildcat Canyon trail followed by the West Rim trail over two days in first week of May. Wildcat was quite wet with some snow and a very fast moving Blue Creek. Once we got on the West Rim trail the trail dried and the views got better. Camped at site 3 well out of earshot of anyone else and with a magnificent view laid out before us. The climb down to Angels Landing was terrific with each view better than the previous. I'm not too crazy about heights but the rock path was tilted nicely towards the rim so I never felt any vertigo. Angels Landing was packed when we got there at about 0800 so we skipped it and continued down to the shuttle. A great hike and a wonderful spot for camping in the wilderness.

Outstanding trail! Herds of people thin rapidly once you continue up the canyon. Snow only in a few places, nothing deep. Great views throughout.

Definitely continue past angels landing. It is amazing. There is very little snow up to the top at cabin spring but the rest of the loop still has snow so we did not attempt it.

1 or 2 miles longer than listed. Loop is longest part of entire hike, plan accordingly. Also, loop will have snow until May, there’s 2-6 feet still in late March. Not highly recommended thru the snow, but definitely passable with gps. Views are unbeatable. SW loop offers unique perspective.

Awesome hike. Camped at West rim campsite 2 which is just at the top of the rim, perfect place to do the loop since you can leave your gear at the fork of west rim and telephone canyon trails. Didn't get to do the loop due to a lot of deep snow which would have meant a lot of postholing and we did not have gaiters. Definitely would like to try this again earlier in the season when the snow is better packed.

DO IT.

Beautiful place worth seeing in the winter and walking around in the snow. Definitely be carful on the landing because of all the underprepared hikers. Seeing all the rim of Zion was awesome

Did this hike during Christmas day during the Government Shutdown, which meant zero crowds! I've done this hike several times in the past and doing it during the winter was probably my favorite. Zion has a completely different feel and look to it at this time of year. This trail/hike can be challenging for those afraid of heights. It was extremely slippery due to ice when I went, during the spring/summer this shouldn't be a problem. Enjoy the views!