Angels Landing Trail

Angels Landing Trail is a 5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Springdale, Utah that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and nature trips and is best used from February until October.

Distance: 5.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,630 feet Route Type: Out & Back

partially paved

Angels Landing is a strenuous trail in Zion National Park with steep drop-offs and very narrow sections - it is also the most popular hike in Zion. Start by parking at The Grotto trailhead, or taking the West Rim Shuttle to The Grotto shuttle stop. Begin by crossing a bridge over the Virgin River, the first 2-miles of the West Rim Trail are a well-maintained, paved trail. Most of the path is sunny, but Refrigerator Canyon offers shade and often a cool breeze. The trail takes you up Walter's Wiggles, a set of 21 steep switchbacks that take their name from Walter Ruesch, Zion National Park’s first superintendent. The last half-mile (0.8 km) follows a steep and narrow ridge from Scout Lookout to Angels Landing itself, a fantastic observation point 1500 feet above Zion Canyon. Anchored support chains are attached along some sections of the sheer cliff. You are rewarded with an excellent view of the main canyon at the top. Avoid standing near the edge at all times! Do not hike the trail when it is wet, storming, or when high winds are present. If you are afraid of heights this trail is not recommended. This is a good early morning hike to check off your bucket list - it will surely be one of you favorite hikes! Make sure to allow time to be off the trail by dark if starting late in the day.

1 word…AMAZING!

A lot of ascending. Chain section looks scary from afar but when you’re up there, it is fine. Went really early to avoid the sun. (August).

icy

We did this trail in the morning Dec 3. Still lots of snow on the trail from the second set of switchbacks up. It was melting when we came back down so I imagine there is a lot more ice now. We didn’t have traction devices but we managed okay. I’d recommend them for people less experienced on ice. Coming down the chains backwards is a good tip for people having a rough time. What a gorgeous hike. Take your time and allow people to get their footing around you. Especially when sharing the trail on the chains. The trail wasn’t very busy at all when we went so that was a bonus. Only 2 other people to share the summit with!! We will definitely be back in better weather but all in all an amazing day!!

icy

I tried hiking this the day after a snow storm. I made it up to the chains, attempted to hike that section but It was super slippery and after hearing someone died on that trail a few weeks ago, I backed out. If you have crampons, completing this hike in the snow should be relatively easy. Even though I didn’t make it all the way to the top, the views were absolutely gorgeous and I was able to slide down some parts of the trail which made it a really fun and unique experience. I’d definitely come back in the winter.

icy

Went yesterday after the snow storms and to make it to the top absolutely needed crampons that can handle ice and snow well. Beautiful sights after a tough climb

icy

Still a lot of snow on the trail. Even if the way up doesn't seem "too hard", be mindful about the way down, it is actually harder. We had some traction devices on our shoes, which made our lives way easier. I don't think we could have reached the top without them. The view at the top is amazing, there is still a lot of snow on the mountains. There is very little crowd because of the weather, which is very enjoyable. Strongly recommend gloves with some traction if you're not a good climber. I managed without it but it would have been better if I had then. The app was quite bad in recording the hike and measuring the distances. But navigation is not the problem you would worry about.

icy

There was a snowstorm two days prior. Yak tracks or micro spikes are about the only way to make it out to the angels landing point. We did see people struggling up Walters wiggles without traction devices. I do not think they enjoyed it.

A fantastic trail with amazing views! Allow plenty of time to go the last portion of the trail up the narrow ridge to the top because of the amount of people going up and down. At the end of November there were a lot of people doing the hike.

I love this trail! We came during a holiday weekend in the summer time and it was packed. Once we reached the base of the chains, we had to wait in line. Would recommend not going on a holiday weekend, and if you do, arrive early.

icy

Hiked today and it was rough!! Very icy and snowy on the way up. Started the chain portion but it was too slippery and had to come down. Only recommend the top chain portion if wearing VERY good crampons. Saw a lot of people without them sliding around, being a danger to themselves and others because it's in and out on the same chains. Also, wear hiking shoes, I saw too many people in regular tennis shoes also struggling on the easy portions. It was very icy and muddy on the way down and it was hard to not slide. Do this hike with the proper gear or very early in the morning. I will return when conditions improve!

icy

A must do hike. Hard but fantastic views at the top. We did not go through the whole chained final. That was too much and kind of scary. We did it last week before the snow storm. The trail was clean and dry.

We did this hike in early November. We had gone up once before in late November, but ice and snow (and common sense) kept the summit from us. Even though I was sick with the flu for this one, we were determined not to miss it again because we had a beautiful day. Definitely a crowded trail, though, and people bunch up around the tighter sections. It doesn’t really feel unsafe - there are ample chains and foot holds. The only time I think accidents could really occur is when people need to go past or around each other. For the most part people are polite, but there’s always that one person! I only had one moment where I was probably not safe, and it was in one of these interactions. Great views from the top!

Amazing hike. Not once was I even a bit nervous on this trail. Overall it was easy however, it started to snow when we made it to the summit so we only had time to take photos before heading down. Just because it’s easy for me does not mean this is for beginners, if you’re new to hiking this is not for you, considering the exposure that you face during the final stretch however if you are new feel welcome to stop at scout lookout. It also has good views.

Always enjoyed the view from the Angles Landing. Been here 3 times already. This trail is getting popular and can be crowded at times.

Calf burner. Very steep all the way up. Lots of switchbacks. Paved halfway up. Please wear hiking shoes for the sake of yourself and especially others. Last thing you wanna do is slip and knock someone off the trail. As of today, 10 people have died on this hike. This was one of the most beautiful and worthwhile hikes I’ve completed. Take your time going up and then have a nice jog down to the bottom. DEFINITELY recommend if visiting Zion. 10/10 rating.

icy

I did Angel's Landing in December of 2018. It scared the hell out of me. We started early in the day, so the trail was very icy. I definitely felt unsafe at multiple times on the trail, but I'm glad I completed it. Wear Cramp Ons if doing the trail in Winter. I didn't have them, so I lost traction a few times during the hike. That was the scariest part. I wasn't going to go all the way to the top, but I met an angel from Cali who was equally as frightened and we agreed to take it slow together. Going at your own pace is incredibly important. Crawl, walk, cling to the chain, etc. it's not a race. Safety is so important on this trail. Respect other hikers and they'll do the same. Overall I'd recommend not doing the hike in Winter, but it's worth the experience if you find yourself in Zion when it's cold. I would definitely do this trail again. It's satisfying and the view from the top is an excellent reward. Bring some snacks and rest for a bit once up there. You'll need it.