Angels Landing Trail

HARD 1,722 reviews

Angels Landing Trail is a 4.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Springdale, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until October.

Angels Landing is a strenuous trail in Zion National Park with steep drop-offs and very narrow sections. This is a very popular hike in Zion. Start by parking at The Grotto trailhead, or taking the West Rim Shuttle to The Grotto shuttle stop. Begin by crossing a bridge over the Virgin River, the first 2-miles of the West Rim Trail are a well-maintained, paved trail. Most of the path is sunny, but Refrigerator Canyon offers shade and often a cool breeze. The trail takes you up Walter's Wiggles, a set of 21 steep switchbacks that take their name from Walter Ruesch, Zion National Park’s first superintendent. The last half-mile (0.8 km) follows a steep and narrow ridge from Scout Lookout to Angels Landing itself, a fantastic observation point 1500 feet above Zion Canyon. Anchored support chains are attached along some sections of the sheer cliff. You are rewarded with an excellent view of the main canyon at the top. Avoid standing near the edge at all times! Do not hike the trail when it is wet, storming, or when high winds are present. If you are afraid of heights this trail is not recommended. This is a good early morning hike to check off your bucket list - it will surely be one of you favorite hikes! Make sure to allow time to be off the trail by dark if starting late in the day.

Amazing views. Even if you don’t end up doing the last part the view from Scout’s Lookout (the place before Angel’s Landing) is still worth the climb. Trail was dry and easily accessible when we went mid-January. Road construction coming into the park via Springdale. Bathrooms are all closed because of the gov. shutdown but there are port-o-potties at a couple of the parking areas.

Enjoyed the view the entire time. The park was closed so there was less traffic. And although the climb was sketchy, it was all worth it.

tons of fun

Strenuous hike but so so so worth it. The switchbacks really got me but once we got to the chains I started enjoying it a lot. Not to mention the views are STUNNING. It is a scary hike so would only recommend to experienced hikers. Part of my family stayed back once the chains started

Those switchbacks get very tiring, but it is awesome. If you have a fear of heights you may not want to go up the chains, but the view at the top is great

This trail was very crowded the day we did it but it was worth it for the view at the end of the trail. when you are on top looking down the canyon it is amazing.

Deff one of my favorites , must reach the top !

We did it in 2016. This hike is scary, even when you reach the top. Feels great to finish it, great views.

the trail is worth it with the view from the top. I saw kids could go through the chain way, so do you

Awesome trail with amazing views. We did this in Jan. Ditch the heavy coats temps in the high 50’s a lite jacket was perfect.

A great trail! Walter’s Wiggles is quite the workout. I chickened out at the chains but the view at Scout’s lookout was beautiful! I just waited patiently until my group made it back to me.

Most amazing trail I’ve been on. It’s scary, but safe if you are careful. Bring water and give yourself enough time to make it back before sunset. Takes about 4hours.

This is a great hike. It started out on a paved path with a lot of switchbacks, then it changes to a sandy trail with not much elevation change. This brings you to the final ascent, which is rock scrambling while holding onto chains. Some sections are sketchy, but I was surprised how safe I felt for most of this section. We did luck out with weather when we went, as there was no ice on the hike. We went in early January, and even then it was a busy trail.

Fantastic hike. Challenging for me as a 70-year old.

One of the most rewarding hikes you will ever do. Not much I can add that hasn’t been said already but I completed the hike in early February and it was extremely icy at the top. My wife and I didn’t have spikes with us and really had no business being up there. It was so sketchy at some points. Stupidly, we pushed on and summited after about 3.5 hours of cautious steps and holding the chains as of our life depended on it (it did). Going down was even more sketchy than the way up. There were gaps in the chains that we had to slide down ice and hope for the best.

Long story short, this is a bucket list hike. Absolutely stunning view of the canyon. If you do it in summer, prepare for long lines and bring lots of water. If you want to beat the crowds and have the place to yourself, go at the beginning of the year but be prepared for ice. Bring micro spikes or crampons.

It is beautiful but I'm glad we did it in January since it was busy enough, you have to wait for people to get up or down, so I imagine the popular months would take a lot longer to get up there. Another one of those places that has been discovered :). Still worth doing it, though!

This is a wonderful hike with amazing views! It looks harder than it is, and the view at the top is very rewarding. We went in January, but it was dry with no ice or snow. I recommend that you go when there is no rain, wind, ice, or snow for the best experience. You should definitely go on this hike!

Best trail in Zion, a must do

First half is physically challenging and last half (flake) is mentally challenging. Go early to avoid the crowds. Keep an eye out for California condors!

pretty killer way to get some intense stair master like work out!