Angels Landing Trail

HARD 2,281 reviews

Angels Landing Trail is a 4.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Springdale, Utah that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until October.

Angels Landing is a strenuous trail in Zion National Park with steep drop-offs and very narrow sections - it is also the most popular hike in Zion. Start by parking at The Grotto trailhead, or taking the West Rim Shuttle to The Grotto shuttle stop. Begin by crossing a bridge over the Virgin River, the first 2-miles of the West Rim Trail are a well-maintained, paved trail. Most of the path is sunny, but Refrigerator Canyon offers shade and often a cool breeze. The trail takes you up Walter's Wiggles, a set of 21 steep switchbacks that take their name from Walter Ruesch, Zion National Park’s first superintendent. The last half-mile (0.8 km) follows a steep and narrow ridge from Scout Lookout to Angels Landing itself, a fantastic observation point 1500 feet above Zion Canyon. Anchored support chains are attached along some sections of the sheer cliff. You are rewarded with an excellent view of the main canyon at the top. Avoid standing near the edge at all times! Do not hike the trail when it is wet, storming, or when high winds are present. If you are afraid of heights this trail is not recommended. This is a good early morning hike to check off your bucket list - it will surely be one of you favorite hikes! Make sure to allow time to be off the trail by dark if starting late in the day.

The last half mile makes the hike. The rest is just switchbacks.

Have to do it if you’re visiting Zion. Catch the early bus (6am) in the morning. Earlier you go the less packed it is

Absolutely amazing hike! We took first shuttle and started our hike about 6:45, we didn’t have to worry about sharing chains going up but coming down it was starting to get congested. We didn’t mind though we just would take in the views when we had to stop and wait. Hike took us 3 hrs total. Not an easy trail so not for everyone, but that’s ok there are a lot of great hikes in Zion.

Most memorable hike to date, though I can't say I would recommend it during peak tourist season.

Extremely afraid of heights but I decided to give it a go. You have wonderful views pretty much the entire hike. Steep in some sections but definitely do able. Once I reached the section with chains I continued on for about fifteen minutes until I freaked myself out and had to turn around. Lots of people on the chains and sometimes your stuck in line waiting for people to move. Glad I made it as far as I did and got plenty of views of the park on the way up.

Great hike but crowded!!!! The first part is easily doable without interference from others but up to the landing be prepared. We had people who shouldn’t have been there, people frozen on the lower chains that you had to go around, even a guy trying to carry a baby in a front sling thing. This isn’t a bad hike if you are in shape if not it will take you a bit but stop to enjoy the views too. Bring water if can get warm. Also good god wear good shoes!! We saw everything from flops to toms and girls wearing those crap flat shoes. You are walking on rock. People have fallen and died on this hike so don’t be a statistic. Enjoy the hike and remember trail etiquette.

Amazing views! Too dangerous for kids.

If you want an ‘adventure’ experience with a great view and don’t mind a crowd, definitely do this hike. If you want a decent hike where you can experience the grand scale and serenity of the park with 100th of the crowds, consider doing Observation Peak. If you have a couple of days, do both!

As for Angels Landing - Fantastic, fantastic experience but it is a strenuous hike and not for the faint hearted. Saw one person slip and can see how easy it would be to fall if you weren’t being careful with foot placement. The chains are there for a reason - use them. It is very crowded (4.5 hours with trail traffic). If you were amongst the first up, in my opinion it would be both safer and way faster due to no traffic coming from opposite direction. Take your time and communicate with people on the trail so that they know if you want to pass or want them to pass etc. One of my all time favourite hiking experiences!! Will remember it forever :-)

So all the hype about this trail is legit. Truly one of the best hikes that I have been on. It is very challenging but very doable for those with a reasonable fitness level. Individuals who are not experienced or not fit can expect a grueling, painful experience. Try the Pa’rous or Emerald Pool trail instead. For all others, to enjoy this trail, I echo the advice of others to get out as early as possible. First shuttle if you can. If you are lucky enough to be staying in the park at the lodge, you can actually go before the shuttle starts. The trailhead for Angel’s landing is 0.5 miles from the lodge. An easy walk. It may be a little dark when you start your hike but the first part is paved and easy. By the time you get to the challenging parts, there will be more daylight. I had the top for myself for at least 30 minutes. The landing is not very spacious so I’m sure that it can be very harrowing with all of those crowds and the chain part is definitely not made for two way traffic. Either way, it’s a must-do hike if you make it out to Zion. Enjoy!

Beautiful

Scary but good.

Very crowded, but for a reason. Even on the first shuttle out this hike is crowded. Great experience, a must do.

One of the best trails I've ever done, maybe THE best. Spectacular, awesome, breathtaking - those words don't do justice to the views at top and along the way. Avoid if you are afraid of heights and steep drop-offs. Get there early to avoid crowds and heat. You will not be disappointed.

Unbelievable experience. Made more dangerous by the crowds. I’m terrified of heights and was able to talk myself though the final chain sections successfully. Took about 3.5 hours

scary, but safe if you're sensible. Awesome view at the very top.

We were there in December and there was snow around, so took it extra slow. But it was safe enough.

Incredible! Short but streneous! Prepare for some hiking but so worth the views. Go as early as possible to avoid crowds. I have a very bad fear of heights (no roller coasters) and easily tackled the summit! Already miss Zion NP and its only been a week since my visit!

Breathtaking views. Super fun hike. Only downside is how crowded it gets! SooOooo many people.

We defied the normal advice and began the trail at 5 PM. Great choice. It was relatively cool temps. and the crowds were very light. We "chickened" out, however, and only went to the beginning of the chains. Still a great hike, however. The views are incredible. Great hike.

Absolutely incredible. Pictures cannot prepare you for how insane the last portion of this hike is. Catch an early shuttle, as it becomes very busy as the day goes on. The switchbacks at the beginning are brutal, while the final portion is thrilling but well-constructed. The view at the top is great, but the best thing about this trail is the climb itself!

Lots of people

Epic hike for me. 6-1-18 Go early if you want to avoid crowds. I went late morning, moderate crowds, met some amazing people from California to Tennessee to Australia. Got hot in the afternoon. Lots of steep switchbacks. Then cables. More mentally tough then physically. Safe if you watch your step and hold on the cables at a few spots. Friendly chipmunks. Summit view is spectacular. I plan to do this again until the future. Zion is beautiful...

Love it! Made to the end with crowds. But the crowds did not annoy me as waiting to pass was my chance to take a break. Worth all the efforts.

I literally didn’t think I was going to be able to make it to the top of the mountain cause my legs were completely burning and of course I’m afraid of heights, but with the help of the Wilderness Badass Crew to push me up that crazy mountain, I most definitely would hike that spot again.

Made it (no running) from the Grotto shuttle stop (was on 1st shuttle of the day at 6 am May 18, 2018) to the top (2.5 miles) in 44 minutes flat. Had the top to myself for 30 minutes until the next hiker showed up. After reading other's reviews, it would have been a totally different experience for me if I had to face the crowds.

Wow! Loved this hike...Unfortunately I went during the busiest weekend of the year, Memorial Day. During the summer, cars are not allowed to drive through the park. You will have to ride the free shuttle service that starts near visitors center. I recommend catching the first shuttle that stars at 6am or 6:30 am. If busy time of season, you could easily spend hour plus waiting in line for the shuttle. There is only one narrow trail that leads to the top of the landing. If you don't reach the top of the trail before 7ish and it's a busy day, be prepared to wait and hour plus once you reach the top in order to take your turn on sharing the narrow trail leading to the landing at end of the trail. ..it was worth the nervousness I felt going up and coming down to see the view...I left my backpacking in the bushes before I started to climb the area with the chains...this was a mistake because I didn't have water. I was concern about the pack causing problems on the narrow ledges...I needed the water. Take a pair of gloves to use on the chains. I did and I'm glad I did...Enjoy....amazing park....enter from the east entry way, better view of Zion with some amazing colors!

Strenuous but doable, not THAT hazardous with common sense (but if you’re terrified of heights in general not a good hike), and always crowded with a couple bottlenecks but still very worth it. Summit view is incredible.

Unbelievable trail to hike, because generally they rope off sections of a trail as hazardous as this one, but if you pay attention and are patient, no issues. The climb is challenging, but very doable. The views from the top and the climbing up to the landing using the chains is really something special.

Amazing and challenging, Caution to parents with teen agers- No running especially on the switchbacks, if they fall, it’s a long drop and it will more than hurt

Amazing views. Amazing experience. Super crowded. Must do.

DO THIS HIKE! This was a hike I had dreamed of doing for so long but I psyched myself out so much by watching YouTube videos of others completing this hike. I am here to tell you that this hike is not that scary (as long as you have some common sense). I do recommend getting there early..I hopped on the third shuttle around 6:30 and started hiking by 7. The hike was not very crowded going up, but there were definitely a good amount of people on the way down. This being said, I never felt in danger due to there being a lot of other people on this trail- you’ll find yourself communicating with other hikers to find a safe way to hike for everyone involved. The trail took about 3 hours with quite a few stops during the steep switchbacks + lunch, pictures, and chatting at the landing. Do not let this hike intimidate you!